Newbie Water Question

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Henkys, Aug 10, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Henkys

Henkys New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello all, I want to store water for longterm (5years).

Should this be done in plastic or cart board ??

Cart board water example: http://q.gs/EwGVZ

Also does there have to be a certain temperature to be maintained? Cold?

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about your cart board as the link dosent work over here, if you store it in plastic drinking bottles the bottle needs to be replaced every 6 months as the plastic leeches into the water, proper water containers are okay, whatever you store it in it needs to be kept in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight. hope that helps.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Henkys

Henkys New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Every 6 months?
    Do you use plastic or do you use things like metal?

I want to be able to store it longterm without toot much maintenance

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Henkys,

Welcome to the forum. Had missed your initial post(s).

Could not access the provided link.

Besides plastic leeching into the stored water, plastic breaks easy enough. That wind storm sent the tree directly over your water inventory... and et cetra.

For long term storage - over 1 season here in eastern Virginia - I use US military steel 5 gallon cans with a special "paint" on inside. Forgot specifics of this "paint".

From experience, long term storage is best using distilled water. Although no minerals in it, regular survival foods address this. Regular water can have minor materials in it that's best to avoid.

Recommend you think of a storage length shorter than 5 years. Much changes in even 3 years.

Water is critical...even more so than food. Maintenance/inspection is required at relatively frequent intervals. Think - Safety -.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I use proper plastic water containers, 2 and 4 gallon size, I also collect rainwater in 40gallon plastic drums, I use 1 gallon water bottles from the supermarket as an emergency measure, I will use those first and save the others for later.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Henkys

Henkys New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    But how do you conserve rainwater?
    It cannot be sealed as the rain needs to be able to pour in, so bacteria can do so too?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The best ways to store water are: In complete darkness so that algae will not grow, OR in water tanks where the water is constantly being used & replaced.
    94fc472435ef6733fa510c4f4705ec10.jpeg
    We store rainwater in these 5000 gallon cement tanks Henkys, the water holds its quality for a long time. We have never had any problem with this method in over 30 years.
    94fc472435ef6733fa510c4f4705ec10.jpeg
    Another one of our 5000 gallon tanks, this one a poly tank.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the top is covered over with a small hole to allow a pipe to be inserted, this pipe is filtered to keep out impurities. at the moment this water is just used on the garden but in an emergency it will be filtered again and also boiled. water isn't usually a problem here as we live in a mild climate and it rains a lot, many rivers, streams and springs in this location.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Hi Henkys. Some more details would help, like how much water do you want to store? 5 years worth, or just that the water doesn't require rotation/maintenance for 5 years? Does it all have to be potable or are you including water for bathing/washing/flushing too? Do you use tap water for drinking/cooking now or do you buy bottled water for that?

If you use bottled water for drinking currently then just buying an extra case each time until you reach your target amount then rotating and replacing what you use is one option. If you have the storage space then plastic 55-gal drums is another, many restaurants buy soda pop syrup in 55 gal drums and there's usually a source locally for empty ones. Just clean, disinfect, and fill. Check Tractor Supply for hand pumps designed for use with these drums, or raise them above ground level and use a hose to siphon the water out. These drums have many uses actually, I use them for rainwater collection after a couple modifications, for compost tumblers, and for fuel storage (some are the same HDPE plastic type and grade as 5 gal gasoline cans). We use rain barrels off the gutter downspouts for watering the garden and trees, but if needed could be for washing or flushing, or drinking after filtration/purification.

dcfc4ef49792f0ef86e2054b7d059031.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.