New Member Newbie With Questions!

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Fishrmann, Sep 30, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Fishrmann

Fishrmann New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi. We just recently bought 40 +acres in a very remote area. Access is actually pretty easy but well off the beaten path. Have had some cameras up for past couple months and no sign of human activity anywhere around.

My question is, we like camping there but hate hauling everything back and forth. Any good ideas for a quick, simple idea for storing items such as tables, chairs, shade canopies and such? There's a lot of cover in thick pinyon pine all over the property.

We hope to eventually start building some more permanent structures but that's just not in the cards right now.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day Fishermann, & welcome to this forum.
    Anything left unattended out bush can not be considered secure. Sooner or later some morons will find it & break in. A lockable shed is better than nothing, but it can still be broken into. Cyclone fencing with climb proof angle on top covered in barb or razor wire will do a better job. That is what I have seen a lot of people doing out bush here.
    62577da5f354f72e5841046b1597d88c.jpeg This won't stop someone with bolt cutters, but there is not much more you can do legally.
    Signs on the track will help, such as "Private Property. Keep Out", "No Trespassing" "Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted" Anything like that will make them stop & think, because if caught, they have no excuse for being there!
    Keith.

3. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome............It don't take much money to build an 8' by 12' plywood shack. Build it in the thickest cover you got. Don't make a path leading to it. Welcome to the forum. And good luck.
    That or a 20' shipping container.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Welcome.

A chain or thick cable and a padlock to secure everything together and around a tree (or to an eyebolt buried in concrete)? Better if everything is too large to fit in a truck bed or trailer so they can't take everything while it's still chained together.

Or if planning on an outhouse in the future then building an over-sized one to double as both a bathroom and storage shed would be cheaper than building each separately. That's what we did for our first outhouse, and kept things like yard tools and folding outdoor furniture inside and put a lock on the door when we weren't there.

5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Missouri. Good to have you with us. I would vote for the storage shed with a padlock, and a chain. Probably about the best you can do. I wouldn't store anything out there that I didn't mind losing, and I surely wouldn't leave anything of value. Good Luck!

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The shipping container with a padlock on it will keep somewhat honest people honest but nothing will prevent a determined thief from stealing things. They will steal things that are even not worth stealing. If you are off the beaten path and put up some sort of barriers on the path to your camping area it will dissuade most of them. Every thief that I have ever known was as lazy as hell. The big thing is to make it so kids can't easily break in and just tear things up.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from north of the 49th. Mostly good folks here. A lot of wisdom and a little leg pulling. Pull up a stump and set a spell when you can.

8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    5b971cf74ecb8d69ba00d8b45a5b2e57.jpeg

Haul a prefab shed out to your land or buy a kit. Or just come up with your own idea. Also, dig a trench and put an outhouse on it. Shed don't need no plumbing. Build a shed and sh!##er combo. Take a big cooler full of refreshments and visit your land with its combo structures. You'll not die. Shucks, insulate your shed! The crapper also. Get a shag carpet toilet seat so your hind-end won't freeze to it in winter.

Find a better deal than the following kit:
    https://cedarshed.com/products/ranchouse-kit

Dig a footer w/rebar & chain shed to the small but god-awful heavy footer. Dig some concret "dead men" and run some steel from that. Got bad storms, dig 4 dead men, and chain the prefab shed's four corners to these moorings. Use your imagination ... and used/cheap wood. If you see some place being torn down ...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      332/345

Blog Posts:
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I look forward to your post.

Maybe a shipping container or some other structure would provide your stuff some extra protection.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to here!

If I were in your position, I would not leave anything of value in the potential sight of human eyes, no matter how thick the pinion pines are. It would be a major bummer if you should ever go to your land and find your stuff stolen by the occasional once-in-a-blue-moon traveler passing through.

Any kind of building can be breached, so here is an idea for building a theft-resistant hidey hole for your valuables. (It will need better waterproofing than what is depicted in this video.)

Fast forward the video to the #5 five shelter at the end of it. The builder, The Aspiring Caveman, has this to say about it:

"A scout pit can serve to different functions. It is actually a long-term shelter that keep you hidden from prying eyes. These can be built on route from A to B if the journey requires an overnight stay in hostile territory. It can also serve as cache site for various supplies in case of a catastrophe. Once the landscape has a chance to settle back to what it was before, you can stand right on this thing and not know it’s there.

Is it waterproof? – you might ask. It depends on the amount of rain, I guess. So far, it has only seen seasonally-appropriate fall precipitation and the inside stayed dry. That much rain just gets absorbed by the soil on top without leaking through."

TMT Tactical likes this.