Newest Addition...

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Turbodc2, Nov 24, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    f313549f6487e99a6442d875c1e50dbc.jpeg

Newest addition to the collection. It's a galil ace pistol in 7.62x39. Got a pretty good deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. Really like the the fact that it feeds out of standard AK mags. Inserting them into the galil is a bit easier than inserting them into an AK also. Left side charging handle is also a nice addition. I'll be changing out the SB brace it came with for a tail hook mod 2 brace, as well as swapping out the vg6 epsilon brake for a silencerco ASR flash hider. It's just way to loud with the brake. All in all I like it. Will make a great traveling gun for me since it's so small and has a foldable brace I can easily fit it into a bag or backpack.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Pigpen

Pigpen Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    looks good I like my 10.5in pistol
    what is the barrel length on that thing?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    Has an 8.3" barrel. I've got some decent range time with it now too. About 500 rounds or so give or take. Been 100 percent reliable so far. It's fed out of a little hodge-podge of metal AK mags as well as some magpul. It's even locked in a mag that my arsenal wouldn't. Here is a pic of it now. The tailhool mod 2 and the ASR flash hider made it way better. It's still loud, but not nearly as bad as it was, and the tailhook has made it a lot more handy to use.

a0e5c8cfcbb3d92cbd671694a9c18434.jpeg

4. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    I think these small AK type rifles make great survival guns as they can do most of what full sized AKs can do ballistically in a handier, more portable package. I like the 5.56 round a lot, but when the barrel gets short and velocity is cut down, I definitely prefer the 7.62 rounds.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the 556 for the 150 to 300 yard engagement. I prefer my 7.62 x 30 for the 50 to 150 yard engagements. Anything shorter and I can switch to my handguns, if needed.

6. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    In normal rifle configuration I look at both of them as 300 yard cartridges, but I do prefer 556 by a small amount as it is a bit easier to make hits @ 300 yards, at least for me as I don't have to use as much hold over. With the shorter 10" or so barrels I look at the 556 as a 100 yard cartridge and the x39 as a 200 yard cartridge.

7. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The 556 has better ballistics but the 7.62 has more energy. Turbodc2, You are correct the the hold over on the 7.62 requires more elevation. That is why I determined it is the better short range caliber. Both calibers can reach out to 300 yards but it is easier hit the target at 300 yards with the 556. If I was out hunting wild hogs, I would certainly pick the 7.62 for it's ability to drop them in their tracks. Out past 300 yards and you have to deal with both bullet drop and wind deflection. I believe there are better cartridges if you need to shoot at distances past 300 yards. I do like both calibers (556 & 7.62 x 39) and own both of them.

Turbodc2 likes this.
  8. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. If you need more than 300 yards, you are probably in need of a different caliber. For me and my needs for a defense rife either caliber is fine, but with the short barrels, the 7.62x39 takes the cake. I've never hog hunted but I have wanted to see what heavy weight 556 would do. I think it be as, if not more effective than 7.62x39 at distances over 125-150 yards. At distance under that, I think that the 7.62x39 would be better. Just my own guess.

9. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Your thinking is spot on. Finished reading an article where it stated if they wanted to eat a pig, they used the 7.62 x 39. If they just wanted to kill the pig, they used a 556 and let it run away to die. The let die process was a pig eradication issue and not a hunting issue. One for food, the other to eliminate a huge pest problem. The concept was the 556 was fast and but would not knock down the pig, so it would leave on it's own and bleed out somewhere else and not pose a carcass disposal problem.

10. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:

I would be interested to know what kind of ammo they were using and at what distance for the 556. With 55 grain rounds at distances over 150 yards with 16 inch barrels or shorter I could definitely see that being the case. With longer barrels, and especially with ammo 70 grains and above I would think that the 556 would drop them where they stand. The 556 is very ammo dependant in my opinion. With good ammo I think the 556 has the edge over 7.62x39, with run of the mill ammo and with short barrels, the 7.62x39 has the edge. I was reading a Hornady reloading manual where they had the ballistic coefficient of each of their bullets for a given caliber and when looking at good higher end bullets between both calibers the 556 was far higher than that of the 7.62x39. When I plugged the numbers into a ballistic calculator, the 7.62x39 had the energy advantage out to about 100 yards, after that the 556 gained the edge and it continued to grow the further out the distance got. That said, this is only on paper. I'd be really interested in shooting at hogs at different distances with both calibers with different ammo types to see if it translates to the real world, although we don't have a lot of hogs in Ohio. Best that I'll probably be able to do is shoot at ballistic gel.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The type of ammo for each application is critical. 556 FMJ is going to pierce the hog. Soft point 62 grain will do more tissue damage. The same applies to the 7.62 x 39. Full metal jacket is not going to be as good as a soft point in a hunting application. The 556 FMJ was not intended to be a knock down killing ammo, it was intended to wound and remove more soldiers from the field of battle. Of course all ammo can kill, provided the shooter hits a vital organ. There are many yt videos on both calibers, showing the different jacket types and even the difference between brands. I was surprised to see just how much of a difference brand changes caused. Red Army brand was not very impressive but the Wolf brand did do a good job.

I use 62 grain H.P. for the 556 (the soft points are harder to find on sale) and 123 grain soft points for my 7.62 x 39. Both are cheaper plinking type ammo (not match grade) but both will hold about 1.5 inch group at 100 yards. Close enough for the type of use I plan for these calibers.

In my previous post I explained my intended distances for both for calibers. I have better calibers for distance shooting and target types. The 6.5 Creedmoor and the 300 Win Mag will reach out and stop any critter in north America. The 22-250 will eliminate small to medium critters out to the 500 yard range. The 22 lr. will take care of very small critters at short to medium range. To me, it is the intended target and the distance that determines which caliber to use.

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Is this a class three firearm or have they changed the laws? When I had an FFL and did gunsmith work a rifle couldn't have a barrel shorter than 16" and a pistol couldn't have a shoulder stock.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Tex, if you look real careful, that is not a shoulder stock but one of those arm braces. You can just barely make out the gap in the back, that forms (???) the arm brace.

14. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    This firearm was sold as a pistol and doesn't have a stock, but an adjustable arm brace. I replaced the factory SB type brace with the gearhead works tailhook mod 2. Technically speaking this gun is in the "firearm" classification as its OAL is over 26".

15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    OK, cool, I just didn't notice that the rear part was a hole or brace and thought it was just one of those collapsing butt stocks. My Bad.

I understand that the lines on the ATF rules are very specific. I had an attachment that basically made any semiautomatic weapon operate like a fully automatic weapon. It actually came with an official document from the ATF stating that the use of this device did not constitute making it an illegal full automatic machine gun.

The rule is that a full automatic will fire more than one round from one pull of the trigger. This little thing mounted in your trigger guard and when adjusted just right a 4 pointed star would spin and pull the trigger many times in a split second. On the off side there was a knob to wind it up and the other side had a button. It is all in the details. I suspect that things like this and the bump stock are either illegal now or soon will be. There used to be a lot of things like this on the market and sold at the big gun shows.

I remember when that wacko was shooting in Las Vegas I knew as soon as I heard it that it wasn't an AR or AK on full auto. It just had the wrong cadence. It actually sounded more like an M-60. I honestly don't know that the bump stocks made the kill count any higher than if he had been shooting regular semiautomatic and aiming more specifically. It was like shooting a mat of ducks on the water. You couldn't really miss.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:

Well, if on the off chance they make it illegal then I'll just SBR it, but I'm reluctant to go that route as I can carry it in my truck as a pistol right now. I doubt that they will become illegal, but who knows. Even the bump stock ban I think will be overturned as by definition it doesn't turn the gun into a machine gun. Just the same way braces aren't stocks and binary triggers aren't full auto. Who knows though I guess.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am betting the binary trigger is th next to go. Just as soon as the liberals can figure what binary trigger means.

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I doubt that they are going to make many real changes in the basic structure of the rules that are currently in place. What HAS been done in the past is a specific exemption and change to a particular weapon or accessory. The early Mac 10 was made class 3 because it was a 5 minute job to make them full auto. The bump stock may be banned specifically as a knee jerk reaction to the a$$hole in Las Vegas but I can't see a big change any time in the near future. With Ginsberg going out that will have the Supreme Court loaded pretty well with conservatives for a while.

19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Liberals don't need nor care about knowledge or facts. When the Glocks first came out they passed a law that they thought would keep them out of the US and made plastic guns illegal. They have also banned death ray guns and small personal nuclear powered weapons.

TMT Tactical likes this.