night owl or early bird?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by BeautifullyBree, Jul 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Do you wake up early or stay up late? Some people like to wake up early in the morning. I consider myself a "night owl". I don't prefer to get up early and I seem to stay up every night. My boyfriend is the opposite he wakes up early every morning and goes to bed at a decent hour. He even wakes up early in the morning on his days off work. I'm just curious..what about you?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    SimplyD and Surviveordiemike like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I used to be a night owl and stay up into the early hours, but that's when I lived in a city.
    now I live in the countryside I can be up and awake by 05.30, 6am at the latest, best time of day to be awake before all the townies get up and start coughing and spoiling it!!:p

BeautifullyBree and Keith H. like this.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    There is a saying - early to bed and early to rise makes a person healthy and wise. I am adhering to that adage because I sleep early, usually before 10pm for I have to wake up early because I leave for work by 5am. That is to avoid the heavy traffic during rush hours. I reach the office about 2 hours before my official work time starts but that's okay.

When I was still studying, I was a night owl because I had the penchant to review my lessons until midnight. Especially when there is an upcoming exams, I would be sleeping so late. But as I matured, I began to learn the value of sleeping early.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  4. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I have been a night owl as well as early bird. When I was young, I was a night owl, I used to work until 3 in the morning. When I began to get older, I became early bird, I used to wake up at 2 or three in the morning and work until 9 am. These days I am neither night own nor early bird. I go to bed at 10 PM which is not a late night actually, and I wake up at aro8und 6, which is not too early.

5. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am most definitely a night owl. I stay up past 5 AM pretty much everyday and wake up around 9:30 AM on average. I used to have a clear cases of insomnia, now I think that my biological ticker is just used to staying up all night.

6. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have the bad habit of stsying up late and sleeping late. This is fine during the summer when school is out. This will definately be a problem when school starts back up.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in the bush, I am up before daylight.
    Keith.

8. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I am more of an early bird than anything. There is nothing that the night can offer me time to do that a more alert me can tackle during the day. When I was a kid I used to always make sure that I woke up before the break of dawn so that I could get ready for school and still have enough time to watch morning cartoons.

9. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When we were living in Elm Cottage just up the hill, we had no electricity, so I used to go outside after dark watching for Alien space craft. You probably can't see these craft at night if you live in the city, but out in the country they are very visible & easy to spot. With solar power on this house I don't tend to do this anymore. Have always been up before sunrise though.
    Keith.

10. Kitkat

Kitkat New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I used to wake up very late for example around 3-4 am. But, these days, I've been waking up at 7-8 a.m. in the morning. So I guess, you can call me a "early bird" now.

11. Park1001

Park1001 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm a night owl for sure. I would love to be a morning person, but like sleeping in too much. I always find myself in a vicious sleep cycle where I stay up too late, then wake up at noon, and then I can't go to sleep earlier because I'm not tired and I'm awake for half the night. When I finally fall asleep I wake up at noon and the cycle continues.

12. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    My natural tendancy lately is to stay up late. I love it because the house is quiet and I have it all to myself. Sometimes I change it all around and get up at 5am to get that "me time". But it seems like I am much less alert in the early morning than I am late at night. Whichever I choose, it's important to get some alone time. I really need that!

13. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    This sounds like me. I am definitely apart of this cycle. If I stay up late the next night I'm likely to as well. I love sleeping in and I wake up at 11:56 most mornings.

14. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    Seems like everyone is different. I've heard being a early bird is more healthy. I don't know how true that is, but I personally could be a lot healthier. I may try to establish a better sleeping schedule. When I was a kid I hated waking up early for school and was never in the best mood.

Surviveordiemike likes this.
  15. rootle

rootle New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I tend to prefer to stay up late when I have no obligations. I love the feeling of late nights, when everything is still and a little creepy. I also find that my mind is usually most alert at around 10 pm. I usually try to go to bed fairly early because I'm required to wake up early. I hate that all timings of institutions and jobs seem to be designed to favour early-risers.

16. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I prefer early mornings, with the dawn chorus just as the sun is coming up, before all the plebs are up and spoiling it with their car engines and screaming kids.

17. terryse

terryse Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    My heart's desire is to sleep before nine in the evening but i would feel sleepy at eleven or 12 midnight. What's more, when i am tired the whole day from work or from doing household chores, the more time i stay awake in bed .

18. shcoo

shcoo New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I am definitely a night owl. I have found that when I do not set an alarm or have anything to do the next day, my body's natural clock makes me stay awake until 4am or 5am and wake up at 1pm or 2pm.

19. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    I also hate that. There are very few good paying jobs that work night shifts. It seems like there would be plenty of evening workers. I used to work nights a local gas station and it was an amazing shift. The people who are out and about are more scarce and usually to tired to be rude. Haha.

20. AWPEK

AWPEK New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I prefer to stay up late during the middle of the night. For some unexpected reason, I feel as if I am flowing with an endless amount of strength during the nighttime that would allow me to do a million pushups if it were possible. I feel even more energic during the night time after a warm shower and also watching a dramatic movie or series. Though on rare occasions I do feel sleepy around the time of 2 AM to 3 AM. This is what you could call my time limit as a night owl in staying up. Though if I were to fall asleep I wouldn't wake up until after it is 35 percent close to being night time again.

21. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I am a mix of both but with some tweaks. I sleep around 10:00 in the evening and then wake up at midnight to pray for an hour or so. I an up again at 5:30 in the morning. I compensate for lost sleep on holidays or weekends.

22. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I am an early bird, I just to enjoy the dawn of the day. I also want to live as much of my life as possible so I sleep just the minimum to get by on which is about 6 hours. I always feel like I am missing something if I am asleep. Also, I am only one in the household who rises early so that is my quiet time to myself as well.

23. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    A few years ago I used to be a big night owl. I just couldn't manage to fall asleep before 3 AM. I tried but it ended up in me rolling around the bed and waking up my partner - he wasn't too happy :p it was like my energy increased as soon as it was the night! Luckily enough though, I didn't sleep long regardless of when I went to bed. Most night I went to bed past 3 AM and woke up at around 9 AM.

Nowadays that I am a bit older, it changed completely. I get tired around 10 PM so I just hit the sack! I wake up way earlier too. Usually around 7-8 AM so it gives me some time to get ready for work and have a nice breakfast. I have started appreciating and loving watching the sunrises. I have seen many now and I still get left speechless by how beautiful they can be. It makes every morning a good morning.

24. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Personally, i consider myself a night owl. I just love staying out late with my pals. Even when I have a nice night of sleep it seems that I just don't work well in the morning. After a good cup of coffee however that might change. In the afternoon im always sloppy because lunch makes me sleepy. When the night falls (After 19 PM more specifically) I fell like doing lots of things I could have done during the day but didn't have the energy to.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  25. Surviveordiemike

Surviveordiemike New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Hi all. It's great reading about all of your sleeping patterns and habits! I can so relate to many people here! I am a full time night owl more than a morning person I'll admit that! I've never been good with mornings. It's not that I'm lazy or even depressed and don't want to get out of bed. Okay it might be because of that haha. I'm not really depressed. I'm just not the depressive type. But I've always enjoyed my sleep and my logic is that you shouldn't have to wake up early and people would generally be happier if they never. That's one other reason why I like to be a freelancer so I'm my own boss and can set my own hours.

And @PedroP I know what you mean! I stopped drinking coffee in the mornings now and drink that or energy drinks when I'm feeling laggy but eventually, you still have to crash! :D

You can't burn the candle at both ends for ever but us night owls burn really long candles lol..

Mike.

26. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I mostly stay up late until around a somewhere bet midnight and 1: am. I find that it's difficult for me to go to sleep during in the hours before 11: pm. Even though I usually turn in late in the night, I am not able to sleep very late in the morning as some people are able to do.

27. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I sometimes am both honestly. It depends on the work. When I have to do overtime, I sleep at around 1 in the morning, which in turn leads me to wake up around 10. If I wake up early, this means I slept early because I didn't have much work, or I was planning on doing ALL the work in the morning. It's a fairly predictable routine, and my body adjusts accordingly without any major problems, which is really nice.

28. Jameson

Jameson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I generally try to kill two birds with one stone.I like to stay up late mostly and complete the days work,such that when I get up early next morning, I'm working on new things.

29. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I am a night owl but I am currently trying to change that. I am about to start studying again next month so waking up early in the morning would be part of my schedule again.

This spring break though I stayed up as late (or as early) as 5PM playing games with my friends. I wouldn't be able to do that this upcoming classes so I'm trying to adapt now.

30. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I wake up early. Even if I stay up very late. I wake up early. This isn't so much a choice. It just happens.. I have no problem staying up late if I'm doing something.

31. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    I usually go to bed at a decent hour and wake up early. Sometime I end up staying up really late when the family is over but I still wake up super early. I can stay up until 3:00 am and will still be awake by 6:45 am.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  32. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I spend a lot of time on internet. And this has made me night owl. I also sleep less so pretty much less than 5 hours of sleep. That being said, it's not easy for me to get sleep. So either night owl or the early bird is what happens with me. So you can see for all of us it could be different based on the lifestyle.

33. Captain

Captain Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I'm a complete night owl. My problem is that it takes me a very long time to get tired and then once I finally fall asleep it's hard for me to wake up, don't ever try working nights though I thought it be great because I'd be awake anyway and it was just terrible

34. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You know that old thing about the early bird getting the worm? Well I always took that to say that if the worm had slept in he wouldn't have gotten GOT! Vampire hours for me by preference.