Night Vision And Thermal Rifle Scopes.

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Sourdough, Feb 1, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I was hoping to have a discussion about Thermal Rifle Scopes. I have a FLIR RS-64 (1-9 power).
    I have had it for about three years and wondering what is currently available, that might be somewhat newer technology. Nothing wrong with this unit........just wondering what is new.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I too would like to hear input concerning this topic. I know very little about this technology and what I do know is outrageously dated.

Starlight scopes are wonderful, however these puppies have their issues.

This topic is important. Wars are now fought at night. Felons and looters shun the light of day.

Survival hunting would be best accomplished at night. Wouldn't it be advantageous to see critters glow in the dark! My paternal grandfather always had a spotlight on his car and would shoot small game along the road for the purpose of stewpot meat -- no, not a rich man, my pap.

Hey fellow preppers, please help us out here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    There are outstanding and then there are the good scopes but not many budget friendly I.R Scopes. I too would like to see some solid input. Right now I have tagged (entered on my want list) the ATN 4K pro Night / Day vision scope. I have not found an affordable (to me) I.R. scope. Even simple hand held I.R. monoculars are up in price too.

4. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  5. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    That is a good and accurate assessment/review. I found that my best goto place was the varmint hunters You-tube. From a security prospective they all have a serious issue for Post SHTF application.
    You may observe a human at 300 yards, but that is all you know. You don't know if male or female......14 y/o or 40 y/o friendly or enemy. If they have a weapon, you can't see the weapon, unless it is hot from having been just fired.

The good news is that you can see them, but what action do you take. They may also see you with their equipment, but you don't really know if then have NVG.
    I did not see the above review mention recoil that the optic is rated for. That is something you will want to get clear about before you purchase. The FLIR RS-64 is rated for up to AR-10 .308 recoil.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.