Normalcy Returns To Uk

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Dec 13, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50776671

Good morning all,

Per ...

Not mentioned in article - but I think it's related - President Trump, in effect, just closed down the World Trade Organization (WTO). I'm sure the new replacement trade arrangements involved a planned Brexited UK.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    last seat St.Ives(Cornwall) has now declared, Conservatives have won by a 80 seat majority.
    enough to get Brexit done.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf,

Wishing all the best with the new arrangements.

Don't worry about food supplies. The former Dominions and colonies are loaded with provisions - but not much Rhine wine.

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the UK is 60% self sufficient in food, there are plenty of places OUTSIDE OF THE EU where we can import food from and already do.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The entire idea behind the European Union has a bunch of TERRIBLE flaws. The biggest one has to do with the Euro. Imagine if in the USA that each state was free to print American Dollars and disburse them as they saw fit. California would be handing out dollars like they were toilet paper. This would eventually bankrupt the entire nation by making the "dollars" valueless. The European Union allowed this and now is in deep trouble. It is going to get worse. Brittian is wise to get out while they can.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's something that all of this has brought-up to my mind's eye -- it's certainly nothing profound but here are some semi-random thoughts. Keep in mind that I am totally tired right now and I have been drinking.

> Our garden this year was just tiny. We had a genuinely small garden -- think a single garage sized footprint. However, I put my mind and back into this silly thing and we were overloaded with veggies. The plot was a food pump and sometimes we didn't get out there soon enough and the squash got too big to slice and fry for supper. My poor wife was put to her limits in trying to prep and store the produce.

> We could have doubled, quadrupled, the size of our garden. When a young man, I did far much more work.

> If here in America, ranchers turned their animal grazing pastures into veggie production (however inefficient the attempt), we Yanks could all die of galloping vegetarianism.

> If in Great Britain sheep pastureland was put to growing vegetables, there would be no food shortages for rural and suburban populations even if all food imports stopped. North Sea oil could feed diesel fuel to the trucks, tractors, and fishing boats. I think of urban areas as being write-offs from the get-go; feeding them post SHTF seems a bit silly to me. Hmmmm ... soylent green ... no, yuck!

c7fb5c9cd6f27b20a8e2d38cf7090e7d.jpeg

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have said it before and I will say it again, not all land is suitable for growing crops, in Britain we have 5 classes of land, ranging from excellent to scrub land.
    any land that has been farming using the monocropping method will be unfertile post SHTF as it needs huge amounts of chemicals and fertilisers to ensure anything grows and all those are imported from outside the UK.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Man, I hate this for you. It is distinctly saddening.

Here in the States, land that has seen the raising of cattle is not the best farmland due to its rockiness. Where I live (S.Appalachia), limestone rocks jut from the ground in valley country. The dirt around these rocks is quite suitable for the growing of vegetables especially given that cattle have been dumping manure on it for years. Me, I take crap dirt and add sand, peat moss, aged cow & horse manure (grazing field land has built-in manure), ..., all this to make the dirt more loamy. Plains States (Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, ...) soil is just naturally wonderful. When living in that region, building a garden was a breeze, I hardly needed a rototiller.

Lonewolf, is the weather against you? Too wet and the veggies will get root-rot. When I use satellite data to "fly over" Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, and Dorset, they all look green with grasses, plus there are some tiny forests. Dartmoor has places that look a bit barren, yet I see grasses and cover plants. I see all manner of sheep-herding fields.

In Devon, couldn't one grow some veggies on land once used for sheep herding, there's bound to be decades/centuries of manure mixed into the soil. Without further fertilizer, the veggies may not turn out to be the best, but surely that land will grow something, true? Does the bad weather work against this effort?

I'm horribly biased living where I live. Appalachian folk had poor land in the mountains. The valleys were fertile, but valley land costs so much money. The trees fed the mountain animals and my folk hunted the animals. European settlers originally raised Indian corn, adding squash, sweet potato, and other vegetable varieties. Corn, yams (sweat potato), squash (to include pumpkins), and add deer and squirrel, you won't die.

Ashburton, Devon (man, I'm not at all familiar with the veggies this couple grows):
    https://www.incrediblevegetables.co.uk/

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...-32&sk=&cvid=F09832E391114227920DC6737FB54F29

"Dig for Victory"

https://dig-for-victory.org.uk/

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/Grow-Your-Own/Vegetables

=======================

British cities are gonners during a massive SHTF event, however maybe the following could still be applicable in British rural / low-population areas.

https://www.cooksinfo.com/british-wartime-food/#Dig_for_Victory

Excerpt from Dig for Victory section of British-wartime-food, the following is a cut'n'paste from above link:

The Ministry of Food launched its ‘Dig for Victory’ campaign in October 1939, one month after war broke out. The campaign was led by an agricultural economist, Professor John Raeburn, who was recruited to the Ministry of Food in 1939, and who would run the campaign until the end of the war.

The campaign encouraged people to transform their front and back gardens into vegetable plots. The goal was to replace imported food, thus freeing up shipping space for more valuable war materials, and to make up for food that was sunk in transit. By the end of 1940, 728,000 tons of food making its way to Britain had been lost, sunk by German submarine activity.

In 1940, millions of commercially-farmed hens had to be killed and sold off as food, as there was a shortage of stuff to feed them. This led to an egg shortage, and egg rationing of 1 egg per person a week. Expectant mothers and vegetarians were allowed two eggs a week.

Consequently, people who hadn’t before, and could, started keeping chickens in their back gardens, because that meant you had unrationed eggs. The catch was, you had to give up your egg ration, but you got entitlement for grain rations instead for your chickens. The Savoy Hotel in London had its own chicken farm, set up by Hugh Wontner, managing director of the Savoy hotel from 1941 to 1979. This supplied the Savoy with its own unrationed source of chicken and eggs. (They were still required to ration them on their restaurant menus to customers, however.)

Pig clubs added thousands of pounds of pork to tables. Even
    soldiers at permanent stations had pig clubs. United States
    US Office of War Information, Overseas Picture Division. April 1943.

[ Old Geezer comment: Hogs can be fed scraps to get them to whatever slaughter size obtainable; can't feed really large hogs, gotta kill'em before that; breeders are separate.]

Communities set up neighbourhood Pig Clubs, to buy a pig, then feed it scraps from the households involved. (In many towns, the councils put food waste bins in the streets: if you weren’t part of a Pig Club, in there went peelings and scraps to be sent to farms to feed pigs.) If you belonged to a Pig Club, that was registered, and you had to give up your meat coupons. If you kept a private pig, you had to register the pig, because half was supposed to go to the government, but not everyone registered their pigs.

Rabbit keeping also became popular. They provided a ready source of meat, as they breed year round, and you could even sell the rabbit skin to be used for boots, coats, etc.

“This is a food war,” said Lord Woolton, Minister of Food, in 1941. “Every extra row of vegetables in allotments saves shipping… the battle on the kitchen front cannot be won without help from the kitchen garden.”

In 1941, the Americans sent 9 tons of vegetable seeds over through the British War Relief Society for the British public to use in their home gardens. Most vegetables were not rationed; cauliflower became a staple vegetable at meals.

Granted, keeping vegetable gardens and animals was easier for people living outside the big cities, so in response, the Ministry requisitioned green spaces in cities, even some parks such as the Royal Park, Kensington Gardens, and divvied the land out to households in parcels known as “allotments”, a small space where you could go and set up your own vegetable patch (and hope that a stray bomb didn’t find its way there right at the start of harvest season.) Commercial fertilizers for gardens had of course disappeared at the start of the war, so whenever a delivery cart and horse, or a police horse, happened to pass by a house, mothers would send many a humiliated child out to the road with a bucket and shovel in the hopes that the passing horse had left a calling card in the form of some manure.

During the war, daylight savings was put ahead by two hours every year in March, to allow more daylight hours for farming, and gardening after work.

Overall, the campaign was a massive success: by 1943, it was estimated that home gardens were producing over one million tons of produce, and by 1945, around 75% of food consumed in Britain was produced in Britain.

The campaign was still kept up after the war, in order to free up food to feed the starving populations of Europe.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Normalcy Returns To Uk" / Recent British election results

And the commie kids are none too happy about it:

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...ent-clashes-with-police-over-losing-election/

The protesters I saw in the above article were a joke -- they were weak little spoiled children. When things really hit the fan, the racial violence will explode and the people rioting will loot, burn, smash, and kill.

385f7d7df9f2fc5c1e845120e4480f8c.jpeg upload_2019-12-14_12-49-34.png

=====================

Antifa violence, November 2019, in Berlin resulted in 19 police officers injured.
    https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/11/07/19-berlin-police-injured-during-antifa-extremist-attack/

Antifa statements here in America
    http://www.truthandaction.org/new-a...eizure-of-patriot-land-to-start-revolution/2/

Antifa went violent in Charlottesville, Virginia 2017
    upload_2019-12-14_12-52-9.png

Right-wing radicals and Black Lives Matter folk clash in Charlottesville, Virginia 2017

upload_2019-12-14_12-59-49.png

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  10. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I was in Gibraltar around the turn of the century. It is a harbour with an international flavour. I was talking to one European and he was explaining the EU. I said, "Ok, the United States of Europe."

Him, "No, each country will be independent."

Me, "You need to study American history." I wish I had a picture of his face to post.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Caribou,

A perfect example !

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Glad the folk there finally vote for Conservative thus getting the Brexit done. I've notice that the Labour narrative are all about shooting themselves in the foots in both trade and foreign policy

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    with an 80 seat majority Brexit is now a fore gone conclusion. even Remainers have said so.
    Labour have had the worst result since 1935.

TMT Tactical likes this.