Nothing beats a good knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by TheJim, Jan 26, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    ok so what is your favorite. I have 2, my pocket knife is a havalon paranta. My belt knife is a SOG seal pup.
    I have many knives but those two travel with me most.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my EDC is an unbranded lock knife.

3. Charles R. Stevens

Charles R. Stevens Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Don't bring a knows to an axe fight...
    My go to is a remodeled, rebuilt K-bar. She had been sharpend till she had a belly, and left in her sheath in a shed untile she was badly pitted. A smithing budy of mine dose a much better job with knives than I re profiled the blade removing about an inch in length, replaced the spindly guard, horrendous the handle and blended the but cap.
    Despite being Army, I carried one on my web gear, and felt that this old girl deserved a second life and certainly was tough enugh for me.
    As a farrier and horseman knives are a must for cutting ropes and straps, I carry a stockmans pattern 3 blade pocket knife and a clip knife with a spear point as EDC, adding the K-bar and a belt axe in the feild.

4. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's a nice knife Charles, I have a sheath knife and a Bowie knife I have carried for about 30 years.

6. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    K-bars are considerd Bowie pattern knives, some jurisdictions prohibit carrying Bowies as they were originally designed for combat/dueling. But they are a nice utility pattern, having evolved from the French trade knives (think French butcher knife) so in the smaller sizes are fairly effecent at skinning, dressing and disjoin ting game. Wile still providing a knife one can defend ones self with.
    T.J. Watts of Lindsay Ok. Resserected her, toned down her militant lines and reshaped that awful handle. The original had a flimsy gaurd, big butt plate and was too dang long. One really could only wield it in the over hand or overhand grip.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, as its England I should probably have called it a Bowie "style" knife.
    i'd have loved a K bar but getting one this side of the "pond" is impossible and shipping from the US would cost more than the knife, plus there is always the chance of getting it "conviscated" by our Customs officers(there is a ban on carrying fixed knives in public in the UK).

8. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Knives are brutally effective weapons up close, very difficult to defend against if your attacker has any skill.
    As I understand it, your officers wear knife resistant vests.

Crys B. likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes they do, along with all the other gear they have to carry, sometimes I wonder how they can walk at all with all that lot.
    not that we see a police officer out in the countryside.

10. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Well, take a close look. The carry a lot of "safty tools" ASP batons, mace/OC (pepper spray), tazers and on my side of the pond side arms. Not to mention body armor and como/recording gear. Despite it all I have respect for them by and large.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I used to respect the old time "coppers" but this modern lot are too much like military for my liking what with all the riot gear and stuff.
    in any case it wont matter soon, they are closing all the rural police stations and moving all the police into the cities and large urban centres, that will happen over the next 5 years, the nearest police station will then be at least one HOURS drive away, which is short comfort when one is faced with an intruder with a knife or machete and only have MINUTES to live.

12. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Lol, welcome to rural life in half of the US. Except we have a lower violent crime rate.
    The "us vs them" mentality is a horrible issue, compounded by the "911" system (this is the # you dial in the US and I believe Canada to reach emergency services). One is muc more likely to report a crime and cooperate with a police office you know, as well as be treated with respect in return, but when they are always rushing off to another "emergency" we all start to look like bad guys, and they start a king like bad guys

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we tend to sort out our own problems in rural England.
    hanging a burglar out of an upstairs window works wonders!( by his feet not his neck) and yes it has been done, not by me I hasten to add.

14. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Yeap, a rope is a great deterrent, as is a mean dog

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    this guy was just held out of the upstairs windows by his ankles-no rope, and asked politely to leave the area and never come back, which he did.

16. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    So for my belt knife, my buck 1911 or my SOG seal pup....in my pocket and knife I use for everything..havalon paranta... I can dress and butcher an entire deer and use only one blade...then toss that one and add another blade....

17. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Just goes to prove that "red neck" isn't limited to the southern US, lol. E

18. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Ever think that a "butcher knife" might be the ticket? English and French trade knifes are just that. Take "Nesmuck's knife" is for all intents and porposes a cut down commercial skinner.

19. Ed R.

Ed R. New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I just picked up a cold steel G.I. Tanto that I hooked up scout style carry...I also have a Mora for the belt and a tanto Kershaw folder for the pocket.

20. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Great Paps Bowie.png EDC Load.jpg
    I carry a CRKT Tanto Point 3.5" in my left slit pocket and a Spyderco 4" in my right front pocket.

When a fixed blade is appropriate I carry the same Bowie my great great grandfather used on the ranch.

I always say "You may run out of ammo (I doubt it), but you will never run out of knife".

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I recently bought a Ka-Bar.

22. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    Chain mail should be able to protect from penetration if it's made properly, according to the Metatron. That's why he wears chainmail everywhere (properly mail).

Personally, I'd like to learn blacksmiths skills and make my own knife.

23. Billy02

Billy02 Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I got this new benchmade folding, and its good.

24. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I either carry a £5 Hultfors fixed blade that I can comfortably afford to have confiscated by plod or a Swiss Army knife that is 100% legal to carry in any circumstance. If I am stopped by plod I'm very unlikely to be arrested but a fixed blade knife will definitely be confiscated so it might as well be a cheap one. Having said that the Hultfors uses a Mora style blade, high carbon steel folded over a mild steel core, much the same as more expensive knives and its sharp enough to shave with.

25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I alway have a knife or three on me. The thing is that I don't carry the same ones every day except for a leatherman Freestyle that is just a knife on a smaller leatherman folding pliers. Along with this I usually have at least one lock blade folder and a small fixed blade 4" or less sheath knife on my belt. Right now I'm carrying an opinel #8 but I sometimes carry any one of three or four kershaw assisted openers. I also like the old school carbon steel old timers and several different buck knives. Then there are the various Victorinox knives, I especially like the Trecker and the plain old Army knife. I collect knives and have hundreds. My wife gives me knives for presents pretty often. She likes the damascus steel knives. I have to admit they are awfully pretty and wicked sharp. My Granddaughter got me a big assisted opener for Christmas with Best Paw Paw Ever engraved on the scales. All my kids know that they can never go wrong with a knife for me for a gift. I also have a thing for the Cold Steel knives and machetes. They make the best serious use knives that I have ever used. For use I prefer the carbon steel knives over stainless. For bigger knives and such I usually go KaBar.

26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my EDC is an unbranded Buck style folder, carried in a leather pouch on my belt.

27. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I am a big fan of the Kabar. I own 3; one tanto style, one from the 70s, and one new model.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  28. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm also pretty fond of the Buck fixed blades. they are awfully pretty and the 420HC steel is about the best stainless steel for hard use in my experience. I prefer carbon but the Buck knives are just too nice to pass up. I'm just a knife junkie!!!

I have my Dad's Kabar from WW2, a Kabar Short for general use and a Kabar Kukri that is just a beast along with a couple of Kabar neck knives. They will all last several lifetimes if treated right.

29. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My dad's brother gave me his Army-issue M3 Camillus. He was combat infantry, saw too much, Battle of the Bulge, Bronze Star (should have gotten Silver Star, his company commander did and it was my uncle who kept that captain alive).

6855b835fe92df9ae4755ecacfb8ce00.jpeg

Attached Files:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have this Buck knife and love it. It holds a razor edge. I wrapped the grip with cloth electrical tape so as to fit my hand and to keep the grip from going slick.

Attached Files:

31. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    https://mysurvivalforum.com/attachments/5da8dadc6f94851004468316cd301e18-jpeg.3033/

I have the same knife! I love it so much that I almost married the nice man who gave it to me in 1990. He knew one of the ways to my heart, lol.

Knife junkie here, too. I love rooting through the knife bins in thrift stores and yard sales. Some folks just don't realize how good Grandpa's knives were!

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  32. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Grizz,

LOL - reminds me of the Elton John song with partner: "I give you my key". A knife gift sure is a way to win affection !

www.knifecenter.com Knife Center, Fredericksburg, Virginia

33. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I finally finished my work for the day and was headed off to bed before I made the mistake of coming in here for a quick look and then clicking onto that link... Oh lordamercy...

I don't think I have EVER seen such a selection as this!!!! I am ruined.

Don't know whether to thank you or...nebbermind. LOL.

34. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I too am a big fan of K-Bar. The Marine fighting knife (from way back) is what I like to carry in the woods. Cold Steele would be a close second. For outdoors stuff my folder is a Buck 110.

Grizz: I share your passion for knives. As I read through the posts I think " Yep. I have one of those. Yep, I have two of those. " I don't even try to keep track. There is at least one in every pack and bag I own. Truth be known, I think I have more knives than Imelda Marcos had shoes (set the way back machine). How many remember her?

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  35. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    M101,

I remember Imelda Marcos and the shoe collection.

Believe husband had once been a premier deputy of some sort to Magsaysay. The Philippines was the PREMIER Asian nation - well prior to Singapore. Things change.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.