Nuclear Disaster Emergency Exercise

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Oct 23, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    I have participated in drills like this. They are not intended for the general public, but more for employees and first responders knowing what to do in the event of an emergency. They are good, and they definitely serve a purpose, but there will not be any evacuation plans. There would not be any reason for vehicles not to work that I am aware of. An accident from a nuclear plant would not cause an EMP.

They will involve Police and Fire Departments. Local government would be aware that the drill is being conducted as a courtesy. The NRC would probably be there as an observer or overseer. The drills are taken very seriously. It is not like your local fire drill. We had people staged as victims that had to be evacuated.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Few questions ;
    1. How does the inter agency coordination & communication were carry out and at what level?
    2. Is it possible for lower tier unit (platoon level or below) to coordinate / communicate directly with other agency unit by radio?
    Thanks Beforehand :)

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  4. Morgan101

485/575

Blog Posts:
    There was no inter agency coordination I was aware of. The only agencies involved were local PD and FD, and the NRC, all with representatives on site. All communications on site were done by walkie talkie. PD and FD used their own communication devices.

I would think that any agencies at any level could be linked, so they could communicate. The systems now are much more complex, and have far more capabilities than we did then. Maybe Watcherchris can weigh in. He still works in the industry.

TMT Tactical and varuna like this.
  5. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    I'd think they'd be using the Incident Command System structure but not certain on that. For the actual radio communications between different agencies/departments then unless there are already local agreements on different frequencies to use, the NIFOG is the standard for the US nationwide.

For anyone with a scanner or amateur radio, might be a good idea to put those channels in memory for your SHTF listening pleasure.

TMT Tactical and varuna like this.
  6. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Master Survivalist
      480/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont think scanners work any more. The police have all gone to a digital system now for security purposes and civilians can no longer easily scan and listen to police and emergency radio systems.
    There also is a large plant on the Savannah River upstream from Savannah Georgia. Savannah River Plant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_River_Site

As I mentioned on another thread the loss of power caused by an EMP or other means can be catastrophic on a nuclear site. Remember that the problems with the Japanese reactors at Fukushima were caused by the meltdown of reactor cooling caused by power loss.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Depends, there is a move away from straight FM to digital modes, P25 being one. Newer (and expensive) scanners can decode the digital modes as long as they aren't encrypted (but there's more and more state/local agencies moving to digital encryption too). Locally here, it's still FM and unencrypted for police, fire, road crews, ems, etc. The state police and many state agencies are digital however. Wisely, imo, the ones in NIFOG are mostly neither digital nor encoded. Makes sense for interoperability, less things to go wrong when the SHTF.

If anyone is interested in finding out what their local/state police (US only) are using, and/or approximate cost of a scanner to hear them let me know. I can explain how to find it and you don't need to divulge your state or county to anyone.

TMT Tactical, LastOutlaw and varuna like this.
  8. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Exactly which is why I'm interested to know what kind of datalink is used for civilian disaster mitigation related agency there.
    Just imagine this kind of scenario where there are multiple ground teams and there is drone flying that is belong to a different agency, and the ground teams need to see the data feed from that drone (network-centric). Having to go trough the HQ element will be time consuming and ineffective for time critical task.

9. Morgan101

485/575

Blog Posts:

That sounds like a Pragmatist question. I think he is very much involved with preparedness agencies, and the coordination of efforts. He would know how they work together.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:

Oh...but it is politically expedient if for political herding reasons.....the information must be held back or controlled...to reach a predetermined result or goal in a disaster or emergency. You cannot have another agency upsetting the apple cart...the plan.

And yes...Pragmatist would know how these agencies work together and at times how they do not.

Ishmaelites at work.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Gate Crasher,

I am sure they used the Incident Command System.

If the power plant was getting $$$ off of a Congressional appropriation, they were using NIMS / NRF and ICS.

GC and Morgan; I don't know the commo stuff. It's getting upgraded so frequently, can't keep up with the tech they use.

TMT Tactical likes this.