Nuclear Reactor Meltdown

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by Katie Ann, May 16, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Katie Ann

Katie Ann New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the right area... I wasn't sure, but I have a question about nuclear fallout from a reactor meltdown. I was talking with Old Geezer in another thread about potassium iodide tablets and mentioned that I'm rather close to a nuclear reactor. I was also too close to Three Mile Island in 1978... this could make a girl paranoid about being bad luck! :eek:

But anyhow, it got me to thinking and I realized that I have seen so much conflicting information concerning the question I'm going to ask here.... seems that everyone has a different answer... just *HOW* close to a reactor is the line between "take your iodide and hit the road" and "forget it, sister, you don't have a chance?" That sounds like a simplified question, but I don't know a better way to ask it.

How many miles would it take for you to feel semi-confident that it wouldn't be a sure disaster for your family?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would not live anywhere in the vicinity of a nuclear reactor. Just look at the Fukushima disaster, there is no way of telling how bad the melt down might be & how far the radiation will travel. The Pacific Ocean is now contaminated, & they are saying that radiation levels in the USA have risen on the coast. If I were you I would get as far away as possible.
    Scroll down this page on my blog for more information: http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/search?q=Fukushima
    Keith.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we moved from an area when they announced a new nuclear power station was to be built, we moved to an area where there are no nuclear or other power stations with a prevailing wind that was AWAY from our location.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good move!
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  5. Katie Ann

Katie Ann New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    But how close is "too close" for you? Are we talking like within half a mile (well, that's probably a no-brainer) or within 10 miles? 20? How close *would* you live? I do wish they'd close this one down, but there doesn't seem to be any plan for that in the near... or distant future.

6. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    I don't live near any the nearest on to me are the ones in England ( I live in Ireland) not saying that they will not effect me in any way but they are lower on the list of threats
    From documentarys I have watched they say without maintenance for 3 day the reactor will fail and cause a nuclear meltdown
    I don't know what reactor meltdown be equivalent to a nuclear bomb going off but if you could work it out what it is and know ur prevailing wind direction and strongest wind strength recorded and you could could use http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ to give you an idea to the fallout that could happen I know there are other factors to take into consideration
    But if in doubt you could never be far enough away from any nuclear event

7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure if there is a safe distance. We are 497 kilometers from the nearest nuclear reactor, & that is too close for me. But if we could afford to move, we may be moving toward another reactor. Regardless, we are staying here & hope that nothing goes wrong with that reactor. I guess if it did, we would be bugging out away from here to wherever is recommended as safest.
    Keith.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    surely a nuclear power plant meltdown is different to a nuclear bomb going off??

9. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    I am sure in a lot of ways they are different I am not a scientist but it's the only map I could find that could show potentail nuclear fall out if a nuclear event happened I would not be surprised if the governments are withholding the research to what really will happen in the case of a meltdown it cause a panic among everyone living in the fallout zone even the sheep who think it could never happen might wake up.
    I would like to know the major differences between a nuke bomb and a meltdown if anyone has done the research

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah, me too.

11. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Chernobyl_and_other_radioactivity_releases
    Found this I know Wiki can be written by any one and be bs and some I really don't understand but it seems they both have different downside compared to each other a nuke bomb be more instant death causing and shorter half life
    While a meltdown tends to cause less instant death but the radiation last longer after the event
    Also there is a different between a nuke bomb set off in the air and on the surface due to the ground explosion sending more soil particles into the air and spreading the fallout over a much larger area depending on wind which dictates the direction and speed of the fall out and also rain which can cause the fallout to wash down
    The one thing I did find out is no one really knows as the only the two bombs used in war are ones the USA dropped (which were detonated in the air) can be used when comparing casualties to reactor meltdown like Fukushima and Chernobyl and they are still trying to work out the long term impact they have on our world
    They know how to build them and blow them don't think they really care after that

12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think it was Chernobyl that the radiation reached the UK. I remember my Mother saying they had politicians on TV eating vegies to show the population that there was no danger, which was apparently bullshit.
    Keith.

13. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    They are significantly different in many respects. And if the nuclear device is ground burst versus air burt, it has a dramatic impact on how much fallout is created.

Yes, but in absolutely minuscule levels. It is nowhere near the level that it would impact human life or the environment. Some articles that cover the research that has been conducted:
    A quote from the first article:

Also, a study published by the National Academy of Sciences found that the amount of radiation Fukushima would give a tuna steak sized portion of a tuna caught off the west coast of the US would be less than one twentieth the amount of a single, uncontaminated banana.

Last edited: May 23, 2017