Odd Question About Burning

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Prepper18, Jul 1, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Prepper18

Prepper18 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I live in suburbia. There is a 'no burning' statute, and it apparently is enforced. I need to permanently dispose of 10 yrs of paperwork. My thought is to, um, 'smoke some meat' in my backyard

I planned to buy a little charcoal grill, but research suggests that paper as fuel might burn too hot??

Any tips for burning paper in an inconspicuous way?

2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    You might consider recycling it by soaking it until it turns to mush and then compressing it in a briquette maker to create low cost fuel that can be easily transported or stored...no-one will be reading your documents once they're just grey mush, that's for sure.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    of course you could buy a home shredder instead! that's how I dispose of mine.

Ystranc likes this.
    1. Ystranc
      Or you could shred it then mush it before turning it into briquettes and burning it;) just to be absolutely secure:D

Ystranc, Jul 5, 2018
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    Here is one of many links I found concerning how to roll-up paper into fireplace logs. You gotta pulverize the paper a bit -- can't just roll up paper. There are lots and lots of techniques. Here is my search string, "turn office paper into fire logs".

http://www.instructables.com/id/Intro_1/

Do not put flammables into these logs! At time of starting fire, you might soak a small amount of kerosene into these make-do fire logs. Heard of spontaneous combustion?! Oily rags in a barrel will catch on fire by themselves. Put flammables in these "logs" and they will become a fire hazard.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_combustion
    You simply can't imagine how many barns have gone up in flames simply due to putting up hay wet.

The fire-starter logs one buys at the grocery are wood pulp and paraffin (dirt cheap industrial-grade waxy crap). Candle wax & canning wax are very purified and far too expensive for this application.

Here's a 4 brick paper log briquette maker one can order from Walmart:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Costway-...6030&wl11=online&wl12=916225386&wl13=&veh=sem

Here's a bucket in a bucket process. The fellow makes a shredder out of a used saw blade and welds this to a shaft. I'd just use a long threaded rod and locking washers & nuts to fix a shredding disk to this shaft. He makes a press out of a wooden wheel that he'd cut out himself. I think one could go cheaper than this guy.