Of The Utmost Importance Solar Dehydrator

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by randyt, Oct 9, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about this earlier as I dehydrate some apple slices in my ecaliber dehydrator. A dehydrator is awesome but a solar powered dehydrator is of the utmost importance. I've dried berries on screens in a attic but something with large production capabilities would be awesome.

Some parts of the world it's probably not a concern, like the south west USA.

a few years back I strung up some beans to make leather britches but it was too humid to be successful.

leather britches
    0360713a139eb6072b6b55209c175f76.jpeg

DirtDiva, GateCrasher, howler and 3 others like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We dry foods & make fruit leather in an open oven on our wood burning stove. We also have racks above the stove.
    Keith.

DirtDiva, Rebecca, Sourdough and 2 others like this.
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    that's a great way too Keith. I'm thinking about making a solar dehydrator soon rather than later. That will give me a chance to try it out before really needing it.

4. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Please could you share your general design of the solar dehydrator once made and deemed a success? I made one a few years ago and either the plans I used or my construction was faulty as it never worked as well as I expected and I ended up scraping it.

5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts: