Off-grid dehydrating

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by ziskasun, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have an electric dehydrator that I use for food storage and preparation, but it is best to have a plan for dehydrating and preserving with no electricity. I like this simple outdoor hanging screen dehydrator. you can dry your foods on a warm day in the sun. You can also buy or make a solar powered dehydrator to use if it's winter. Some of those can double as an oven. In a pinch, a car dashboard is a great dehydration location. even in cooler weather, it gets hot enough inside the car in the dash to dehydrate or even cook!

2. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I think this was posted elsewhere on the forum. But anyways, my grandfather use to dry fish and deer meat all the time in a screened box outside in the sun. Just lightly salt them and let the sun do the rest.

[​IMG]

3. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow I love that one. It looks like it could even be adapted to function like an oven with the addition of metal panels or even tin foil. How big is that? I also wondered about how long it takes to dry those fruits and vegies you have in there.

4. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    There is no gauge or timer needed. It is going to be up to your taste buds and texture to know when it's done. If you are drying fish and meat, It will take awhile. The salt alone will seal out excess moisture and bacteria. Before their was refrigerators, people used salt for preservation.

DirtDiva likes this.
  5. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That dehydrator looks homemade, do you know if it is? I'd love to build one myself, looks like quite a fairly simple thing to do. I'm not sure how practical that would even be in England though, the only reliable sun is for about 2 months per year, and even then it's not always hot.

6. Kevin Jansen

Kevin Jansen New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    It helps to have temperature controls. Meat, in particular, should be dried at a temperature of at least 160 degrees F, otherwise bacteria begins to breed in the warm moisture.

On the other hand, fruits and veggies like sun dried tomatoes don't have exact standards. However, you may lose some nutrients in the process.

DirtDiva likes this.