Old Log Method

Discussion in 'Permanent Shelters' started by randyt, Mar 18, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    One winter I found my self working on Mackinac Island. I was working on a old pub. I told it was there back in the 1700s. They had tore the pub nearly down but they had left one wall. It is a log wall made with grooved uprights and wedge shaped end on the horizontal logs.

I have often wondered if Robert Rogers visited this bar. I think there was a Robert Rogers that was the commander of Fort Michilimackinac back in that time period. Not sure if it's the Rogers Rangers guy.

I replicated the method on a little storage shed

ed9da6a5397af70481e09ebad4ab999b.jpeg

rs8r90EUD1NrZWfAMnFAeCVdNWcyfEJe.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Randy! Well done mate! You put a lot of skill & work into that. There is an old cabin not far from my place that is constructed in the same manner.
    Yes Randy, Robert Rogers of Rogers Rangers was there in 1766.
    Keith.

Alaskajohn, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I thought it was the same guy. I've been to both forts and a friend was a blacksmith at Fort Mackinac for a while.

I mucked up my photos here is the one I meant to post

5f763f47db8212bb3bfecbb2cd34aae5.jpeg

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful job mate, well done. Thanks for sharing.
    Keith.

Alaskajohn, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  5. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I saved the picture on my favorites , I have a structure I need to build , your technique is something I am going to consider . Appreciate the picture .

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I cheated and used a chain saw.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    That's not cheating. That is technology. We are innovative, and find better ways to do things. That is progress. The old ways are great, and I very much admire the skill, but let's be realistic. Wouldn't you rather use a hammer than a rock? I'm just saying.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  8. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
  9. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure how it compares to other types, most likely not faster. I built it for fun. Part of that was because I believe it's very possible that Robert Rogers visited the pub back in the day and that method was used at the pub.

I've built several cabins over the years and as far as I'm concerned the fastest way to get a roof over head is saddle notch corners with full logs. These logs will be chinked. I helped a friend build a 20 by 40 foot log cabin. As his kids were dragging the logs up to the site with a team of mules, we were laying them up. We had the walls up in a week, another week the roof was on. The first year roofing was plywood with roof coating painted on it. It had a dirt floor. They moved in at that point. As time went on they chinked it with slender poles. Eventually a tin roof went on and a concrete floor and additions but we had a roof over head pretty quickly the first go around.

I've only been involved with saddle notch and chinking and full scribe. Other than my little storage shed. Most of the cabins I've built or have helped build have been built in primitive conditions. I have most always built with green logs.

10. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Great work on that cabin! I love the design. I’d definitely be putting a deck and some benches or a chair under that cover!

11. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the comment. The little cabin was built to store all the stuff from my main cabin. I put down a jackpine floor and needed it empty. I think I may put a little forge under the shed overhang,

here is the overhang porch on my main cabin

65e9e058dc7efb1ecee88365bcf0438d.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    a front shot

65e9e058dc7efb1ecee88365bcf0438d.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.