Older Adults And Emergency Preparedness

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Sep 7, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.physiciansweekly.com/poll-finds-older-adults/

Per titles ...

AARP is a non-profit as the definition has been readjusted.

A 50 year old isn't really an "older adult", especially when "older" adults involves the "aged" and the charts get plotted with the commingled categories of healthy 50 year olds and the 78 yo invalid under care.

Twenty five year olds aren't fully prepared when viewed as a demographic bloc.

Dr Kumar Dharmarajan is WRONG. There are MUCH "formal guidelines" on basic preparedness for seniors. I have a lot of the material here - and extra copies I distribute.

How much detail is needed in re secondary power sources ?!

I can guess physicians, as a demographic bloc, are as unprepared as the rest of the national categories. How many physicians drive a 4 X 4 vehicle to max out getting to their work station, whether a hospital or makeshift clinic and the roads are in bad shape ? How many have kits in vehicle ? at home ? on their person ? Is there a fire extinguisher in their vehicle ? Does the physician have a smoke evac mask ?

Polls are like the "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline. Truman won.

Judge not but don't worry. The entire nation, except for a few like at MSF.COM, are not prepared.

cc: Major Margaret H.L. Hoolahan, RN, NC, 4077 MASH, APO 12345 San Francisco, Calif.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I would take this as food for thought. There are many questions I would have or numbers I would challenge. I agree, Pragmatist, the difference between someone who is 50 and someone who is 80 is significant, and really can't be compared accurately. State of health would also be a significant factor. That will vary from person to person, but we have all known elderly people who are just fine, and people much younger who look like they may not see another sunrise. I might ask the question about back-up power a little differently. How many people who rely on electrical medical equipment have back-up plans should they lose power? I don't have back-up sources for power, but I don't use any life maintenance equipment that requires power.

Take a few nuggets, and leave the rest behind. It is good to see people thinking about it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my father was an old man by the time he was 50 but he and mother had gone through a world war.
    I see people 20 years younger than me who don't look like they'll see the year out, and obese people that can hardly walk to the end of the road and everything bounces when they do!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Morgan,

Ref powered medical equipment;

In practical terms, the equipment is prescribed by a health care provider. The equipment is paid for with government funds (usually/typically). The patient knows the need for electricity 24/7.

"If" the local social services workers and the health care workers and the patient allow the situation without uninterrupted power supply (UPS) to continue, state government cannot intervene and help. Other orgs cannot realistically help.

At some point, American citizens must accept responsibility for basic aspects of living. It might mean arranging to relocate to meet the power requirements.

The party's over.

Belle, TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    That makes perfect sense. What I was implying was that a patient who has life sustaining equipment that requires electrical power 24/7 would be much more likely to make sure they have a UPS, and prepare accordingly. Assuming that they are mentally competent, and have some means to get a generator or back up batteries, and someone to assist with the conversion if necessary.

What happens if you are living in a home, and the power goes out. You or your loved ones have made sure that Grandma has the back-up necessary, but someone in the home decides they will use it somewhere else?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Morgan,

Someone in the house just might have violated the Americans With Disabilities (ADA) legislation and regulations. A wrongful death because Grandma had no electricity ... consequences will evolve from the investigation after the storm.

Whether a storm, a disaster or worse, the house now belongs to someone else. This is just about a guarantee.

If the patient was not mentally competent, the well-paid health care provider will surely learn why all that liability insurance is needed. Someone getting paid is obliged to mention the required arrangements for the life-sustaining medical equipment....mentioned to competent persons. This could be the local social services worker(s).

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  7. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Some medical devices issued by the National Health Service come with some battery backup, nebuliser/CPAP/O2 concentrator but not for long term off grid usage, you'd need to rig up power to run them, we have all three in a main kit but can provide power off grid for their use.

Morgan101 likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good evening Duke in Wales,

The problem here is that those on eg O2 concentrators can be living on an island and refuse to evacuate when ordered to do so. Of course the island (in North Carolina) has no electricity nor backup electricity.

Just fly a helicopter in as soon as weather permits ...... the lives of the aircraft crew are nominal in the new, even more improved American society. The aircraft is free, the operating costs are free and the crew donates their paychecks to AARP. LOL ! This is the socio-political environment we're up against.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    You say 'can be on an island' has this happened in reality, has a user refused to leave or are you talking a possible scenario?

Someone like that would have little sympathy from me, they are heading for a Darwin award.

Morgan101 likes this.
  10. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Duke in Wales,

Currently; not a possible scenario.

Forgot which island; my 3 different pulp newspaper reports of this specific event already snail-mailed to friend who's an emergency manager.

Aforesaid event of refusing to evac an island with only boat and air access is - common - here ... and not just islands.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Duke in Wales,

ttps://patch.com/north-carolina/charlotte/hurricane-dorian-tweets-obx-residents-storm

Above link is an example.

As an aside for our research here, one of the North Carolina coastal counties (Dare County) has transitioned to a new online reentry permitting system. Older methods cancelled.

Feet Notes:
    - "obx" = Outer Banks
    - No one's afraid of Virginia Dare because they're still partying.

TMT Tactical likes this.