Open-source Foraging/hunting Map

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by appleandcinnamon, Jul 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. appleandcinnamon

appleandcinnamon New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    When I was still in college (Oxford, UK), students and city residents contributed this open source google map called 'Food for Free in Oxford' where you could drop location pins to indicate foraging or hunting spots. Of course, we had to label the pins appropriately to indicate what sort of food you could forage/obtain. You can google the map online, it's really comprehensive -- you have hundreds upon hundreds of pins marking locations with berry bushes, fruit trees, mushrooms, herbs and even crayfish. Students used to, and still do, walk to these spots using GPS (think Pokemon GO) to collect free food, especially during the spring and summer when plants start to bear fruit. I was wondering if we could start a similar initiative on this site.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Just remember, long term shtf, there will be little or no plants to forage in winter.
    Keith.

3. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting idea. I will take note of that for something we may use in the future. Thank You

4. appleandcinnamon

appleandcinnamon New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Well, some berries like the sloe and the damson can only be harvested around October or November. Some frost is needed to remove the tannin from the berries or else they'd be hardly edible. However, I do admit most trees bear fruit in the summer and spring.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    get a copy of "food for free" or one of the other foraging books.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Were such made available, the scummy people in these parts would go wipe-out the food sources listed -- scummy people who have plenty to eat, people who would gather then sell the free food.

When I was a youngin, I worked a short while for the Forestry Service. The older guys took us way back into nowheresville past where the logging roads stopped. We cleared trees, pulled stumps, and planted corn. Yep, this was a deer-baiting field for these guys. "Boys, you don't never tell whar this hyar place is! You kenn fergit it yerselves." Had we told, had the word got out, poacher's would have been in there off-season, spotlighting deer, and shooting then in the head with .22 mag rifles (the .22 mag. will NOT bounce off a skull). Doe or buck, no matter, splat its head, pack the meat, into the freezer, or off to sell.

Poachers wipe out bears (gall bladders to China), ginseng, anything.

Don't tell nobody nuthin'. An' thot thar izza rule fer life!