Ordered More Ar-10's With 12 1/2" Barrels Today .308 Win.

Discussion in 'Gun building, Maintenance, and Care.' started by Sourdough, Jul 24, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Like these short (12.5 inch) barreled .308 Winchesters.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    It can put a hole in something. Same as along barreled pistol. other than conceal-ability or close quarter I see no advantage to the short barreled rifle / pistol. You sacrifice the butt stock for an arm brace. You will get questioned by every Law enforcement Officer you meet (keep paper work handy). So what is so enticing about shortened rifles? Not a challenge, just curious.

4. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    They're just the latest trend, and calling them "pistols" is a work-around to avoid the NFA registration and $200 transfer tax on a real SBR.

5. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-ar-15-pistol-seemed-like-a-bad-joke-at-first-77d9dad71022

6. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I only see one advantage to an AR15 pistol, it will penetrate level 3 body armor. Your typical hand gun round will be stopped by level 3 body armor. So if you think you will be in close quarter combat with somebody wearing level 3 body armor, then go for it. I will just use my regular length AR15 rifle and shoot them before they get real close. Tacticool is when I get to walk away and the bad guy does not.

Alaskajohn and Sourdough like this.
  7. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Notice that when you and most others think about AR-15's and AR-10's you default to personal fights with humans.

Some.....utilize the AR-platform firearms as a reliable tool for dangerous four footed animal problems.

Many of my bear encounters are at a few inches or a few feet. Short barrel firearms are quicker to maneuver, especially in very thick cover, where close encounters are most likely to happen.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Normal pistols are very easy to handle in close range encounters AND are a heck of a lot easier to aim and control. Short barreled shotgun, will do the job too. Lots of options. AR pistols are not needed but could be fun. You can kill a bear with a handgun, the AR pistol just adds a different fun factor OR if you are a poor shot, allows the shooter to spray and prey. Empty the mag and hope it goes down.

9. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Sourdough, What brand/MFG of AR10 12.5" barrel did you purchase? How happy have you been with them? Any pics?

Dale

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm considering building/buying a short barrel 308 Win. with a 12.5 inch barrel, but having difficulties deciding on which I would like. Either a AR type like LWRC's R.E.P.R.

5141.jpg

Or do I go with the H&K roller block models like this. 69593383_10219594794769957_2694806551893377024_n.jpg

I either have to do Form 1's and SBR it or do the pistol brace thing. I'm struggling between a short 12.5" barrel or do a 16" barrel. I thinking of using this mostly in WV for deer and black bear hunting. Usual range here is under 200 yards (no problem for a 308 Win cartridge). I will be using a suppressor on whichever I get.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    We have two of these. They were $399.99 for the complete upper incl.BCG & CH (including free shipping)
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-and-ch.html

Another option:
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-sba4-pistol-kit.html

We also have some 14.5" with a pinned brake, making 16" (I am surprised) but I think for some reason the 14.5 with the brake carries better, and feels lighter. I am going to change the brake on these, go to higher quality.

I want to build a AR-10 "DISIPATOR" (It is my favorite AR-platform configuration).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.