Original Blue Dawn Dish Soap

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by Pragmatist, Apr 5, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.com/uses-for-dawn-dish-soap/#comments

Good afternoon all,

Blue Dawn brand dish soap is making the rounds of some emergency responder circles.

The link is one of several re this soap. The comments are interesting. The one mentioning this soap and poison ivy, I'd do additional research first,

Still, worth glancing at this "Original Blue Dawn Dish Soap" for the homestead operations.

CountryGuy likes this.
  2. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    On poison ivy, it works. I've used it. Two things though, you have to know you got into it and you need to wash it asap and use a wash cloth and scrub it. The oil like urushoil has to be scrubbed off. That whole "Dawn takes grease out of your way" thing is what does it. Check out Youtube, a guy actually wipes his arms down with ivy and washes one with this method and washes the other with just hand soap and shows the difference. He's brave or stupid. Another guy used the example of axle grease to represent the oil and how hard it is to get off and how you need to thoroughly scrub it off or you just end up smearing it around. Same reason they use Dawn for cleaning animals after an oil spill. it really does encapsulate the oil/ grease.

Another use is flea remover. Best and cheapest flea wash you can find. If your dog gets fleas suds them up with Dawn and let them set a few minutes and rinse. do this 2 or 3 times. if you can put them in a bin or tub, each time you get done insing look in the suds on top to see if you see more black fleas floating. same thing, the soap encapsulates and smothers the flea. Same reason it works mixed with water and a light spray on your garden plants to kill aphids and some other bugs, but it's not selective and will also kill beneficial bugs.

Another one we use it for is I think it's a cup of dawn to 2 cups white vinegar (I prefer to heat it), put it in a spray bottle and use to clean your tub. Works great at removing soap scum build up.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Country Guy,

Interesting re Dawn.

It's hasn't been on the shelves of my local Aldi grocery store for last 3 weeks. Now I know why it's a big seller.

My poison ivy experiences weren't pleasant.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I've also used it to wash away the poison ivy oil before it caused a reaction. After the blisters form, it was a no go. The best poison ivy medicine I've ever used is to take knapweed and boil it down to a poultice (gravy) consistency and apply that to the itchy area several times a day. It's gone in 2 to 3 days. Yes, it's that good even on bad cases.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am immune to poison oak and poison ivy so I never watched out for it or anything. Then we moved about a hundred miles north. Oh MY GOD. We have poison sumac and it does to me what poison ivy does to other people. I was nearly 40 and suddenly had to learn to watch where I was going and what plants were around me. I am tall and sleeping in the bathtub with various soothing things in the water at night SUCKS. I guess that I am getting good at watching for it or maybe am getting used to it and like the poison oak and ivy and mostly immune.

When I was a kid I spent the entire summer in short pants and barefoot. I hated shoes. so maybe I got immunized when I was little because when I was older if someone followed me around in the woods when we would go home they would be covered up with poison ivy blisters and I would be untouched. Then I met poison sumac.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wow Texdanm....!!!

I do know some people who are violently allergic to these types of plants around here....particularly poison ivy.

Fortunately I am not ...

I do get it ..but not like some people....all they have to do is look at it so to speak and they get eaten up by it.

I do know that the time to cut much of it back is in the coldest winter days....and I try to do this very thing...

Thanks for reminding me.....Winter is coming..,

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.