Our Campfire Banquet Menu

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Pragmatist, Dec 2, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

I 'm reviewing our pending campfire banquet menu only because I'm on a medical diet.

So far:
    - cricket gumbo
    - venison
    - squirrel
    - road kill
    - MREs
    - fish
    - rabbit
    - reticulated python

No pastrami on rye ? No hash browns ? No grits ? No rice ?

I'm having a good time here. That python camouflage pattern is ideal.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    And where would you get a fresh reticulated python there anyway? Beside they don;t taste as good as spitting cobra anyway,. In fact they taste similar to whatever they had devour. Meaning if they had just devour an adult human, well they will also taste similar.

BTW where would you get any decently edible rice there in the US? :confused:

Kryptek Mandrake is the closet thing you can get as mimicking the pattern of reticulated python, also a very effective pattern in tropical rainforest environment.

BkwvozvxDXlnITTFtVzDK6urm9YsM7zr.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Decent edible rice: At E. Asian Grocery, Warwick Blvd, Newport News, Virginia It's a large store and you'd recognize the Indonesian brands.

Rather than pythons and cobras, I like to look at Rothchild Birds of Paradise.

TMT Tactical and varuna like this.
  4. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Too little meat, and not to mention they are too adorable to be eaten.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know how a python tastes but I have eaten Rattlesnake and it was really good deep-fried. Crickets are good sauteed and fried but I have never tried them in a soup. Their legs might be a bit crunchy. Fresh roadkill is no different than any other killed critter. We BBQed a little hog that we saw hit on a highway one time and it was great. It all sounds good to me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    They taste similar to whatever they just devour, and around here that could be anything from sun bear, water monitor, monkey, or a human. And pretty damn sure nobody want to eat any snake that has monkey (or human) remain inside it belly.

For basic jungle survival course we typically feed the snake with chicken (example in video below) :

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    So python may taste like long pig?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    EXACTLY! Which is why one should wary about the size of the snake in question. If it big enough to say devour human, and it is best to be avoided (typically 20' - 30' long). Unfortunately most reticulated python in the wild are in sufficient size to devour smaller monkey such as macaque or orangutan, so in most case best to avoid eating them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    And that just put python at the very bottom of the list of edible items :eek:

To add to the original campfire banquet may I suggest two dishes from Africa.. fried flying ants (they taste very buttery) and kapenta (sun dried salted baby fish popular in Zimbabwe and Zambia. I loved it but it freaks a lot of people out when I ate it in front of them lol probably the eyes lol)

From closer to home add seafood.. dulse and eel for a combination

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    The one edible delight I miss from my days on the bayou is crawfish.

TMT Tactical likes this.