Our compost bin

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by Corzhens, May 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We made a compost bin our of hollow blocks. We just surrounded with hollow blocks the soil by the side of our house. The 2 feet by 2 feet that looks like a planter box is our informal compost bin where we throw leftover vegetables, fruits and any other biodegradable materials. But before I forget, we searched for big earthworms and placed them in the compost bin because those earthworms are the processors that hastens the production of compost.

For those with no extra land, a wooden box can be your compost bin. Just fill it with 1 foot of soil and earthworms, of course. And the best if a wooden box with a cover.

2. Dilof

Dilof New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Most traditional compost bins are made like this from what I've seen.

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Compost bin are great If you have a farm or garden area. Plus, it can be made easily at home. In our rural land, we have a wooden compost bin near the cottage. Is a square 3 feet x 3 feet reinforced with netting. We also throw leftover vegetables, fruits and any other biodegradable materials there, and with plenty of earthworms. So We got some homemade fertilizer from there.

4. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am trying composting this year. But I wonder if I have made a mistake by placing the items in a large plastic tub. The compost has plenty of sunlight and I occasionally water and turn and mix the items to make sure it continues to break down. Should I have picked a better container for composting?

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Fa

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Tip for bins add just a dap of ridex spetic tank treatment this will speed up the breakdown of the stuff compost when done is a dark black fine soil it take time being able to churn roll and mix helps allso placeing raw unaged droppings onto planted soil can do more harm than good sun dryed cow patties are great to put in as getting soil ready allso lime and anmonia

7. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Nice! I just started mine a few days ago in a plastic bin. I didn't think about adding Ridex to it though. I've been adding rabbit droppings to it as well as old veggies and fruit. I haven't gotten any worms just yet, but that's my next stop. Is it better to add the worms at the beginning of the process or does it really matter? I've read that you can do with or without them as well. I imagine that it would be a better process with the worms.

Also, can someone post a picture of theirs once the soil is at it's prime? I think that would be helpful for the newbies such as myself. :) I know you can Google the images, but I'd rather see a personal experience :)