Overgrown grass

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Damorale, Jun 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    So it seems like a really obvious one, but I guess we can all use the reminder from time to time - I wish I had been reminded! As yesterday, my daughter and I went for a walk through a local park - it's a fairly large area, perhaps about 2 miles diameter, made up mostly of forest land, but with some fields and at the centre a children's play area. We took the long route, up a very steep hill, through the first and simplest forest, down a farmer's field and through a more complicated forest. As we almost reached the children's play area, there was a small area of overgrown grass to walk through. The grass covered over the fact that there was a large "nature's pothole" and I fell into it! A few hours in accident & emergency later and it turns out I've broken a bone in my foot and am now on crutches.

Avoid overgrown grass if you can! It can hide boggy/sinking mud, wild animals and just holes that can trip you up.

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm sorry for the accident! Overgrown grass can definitely be a trap in disguise, those are especially present in forests because they don't get taken care of, I wish I knew this before I stepped on a snake's nest and got bit by it (luckily it wasn't anything serious). At least you learned a lesson to always be careful with nature! :D

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    also in long grass -anywhere where sheep or deer might have been-watch out for ticks, either on you or people with you or on your dogs if they are with you.

4. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Snakes also like to hide in tall grass. In the summerhouses around where I live we constantly have to trimm the grass by fear of snakes, mostly wayward vipers...And don't get me started on mosquitoes! Grass holds lot's of humidity so they nest easily there, and if you shift through the tall grass you'll find yourself bitten top to bottom!

5. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Hehe thanks. Hopefully if shtf it won't be until I have two fully functioning legs again! Walking with crutches is nowhere near as fun as it used to be when I was a child. If someone showed up at school with crutches, we all took turns gliding along with them and it was great fun. Carrying an adult weight on your arms is a little bit harder though! And it's hard enough to use them on flat ground, so I'd prefer not to have to go on any more nature walks for a while ;)

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Oh, what a sad story. I hate being injured by those traps. You know, it is common to find an open manhole here that's why you have to look ahead when you are walking in the street for you may be a victim. There was this sorry incident that an actor named Mat Ranillo was going to the Philippine congress. And inside the compound was an open manhole that the actor failed to see. He fell in the manhole and was injured. That's outrageous to have happened not on the streets but right inside the compound of congress.

7. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    A good ol sharp and broad machete to hack through the thickness of an overgrown grass. Don't forget also a large wood stick to check within before cutting, to avoid harming something or someone.

Damorale likes this.
  8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    In Texas, we are concerned about snakes in tall or over grown grass. Also, if I am in an area that I don't know very well, I usually have my head down looking where I am stepping (like I said, we are taught early to watch out for snakes). Endure above has a good idea about caring a simple stick when walking. It does help to use it to check in overgrown grass before stepping in the overgrown area.

9. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    This is timely and I have always been wary of overgrown grass. The most disturbing aspect is that it grows most vigorously at the point of danger. This sort of grass is found in no man's lands and common lands. You are even likely to find abandoned, dried up water wells as well as poorly covered pit latrines. Its prudent to avoid areas where the grass is longer since they are likely to be the focal points of danger if you have to pass through such territory.

10. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it's definitely good to always just avoid long grass. I mean avoid it WHENEVER possible. There's nothing good lurking in long grass, in any region. In more exotic regions, even tigers can remain unseen in long grass. Like you mentioned, tons of insects and ticks like to hide out in tall grass. It's really just best to avoid it all costs, but if you must trek it, it's good if you're wearing skintight/long clothing. Don't want anything creeping into your clothes.

11. Iohndee

Iohndee New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Being a person who has a phobia for reptiles, in fact, almost any creeping creature, I am afraid of being out in the fields when its dark, and long grass.

Most of these creatures find safe havens in such unattended fields. These are also places you may stumble upon a lot of rot. Not to mention hidden trenches.

The uncertainity of what to encounter in such abandoned areas, where you cannot even clearly see the ground you are walking on, doesn't help matters. Well, but that's me. How about you?

12. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Yeah that overgrown grass could have snakes in it. I remember one summer my dad saw a snake in our yard, hiding in the grass he smashed it's head with a cane and put it on a fence so that a eagle that was flying around could get it. I haven't seen any eagles or hawks where I live lately, but I do know that high grass can be risky if you step on a snake. Most of the snakes where I live aren't poisonous but you never know.

13. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    You also want to mind any object that seems like it would be a good place for a ground spider to set a trap. Ground-based spiders tend to be the most poisonous, where spiders that exist higher usually need less venom because of their abundant access to easy prey. Ground spiders have to work, which is why black widows are such strong forces in nature.