Packages Of Tuna Cans

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by Radar, Aug 10, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Usually when buying tuna (Ok, stop right there. Some say to NOT buy tuna because of Fukishima, I'm not addressing that here), anyway, I buy however many cans I want and that's it. This week I was looking at buying a few cans at wally world and the cans are packaged together, like 6-8 cans packaged in plastic. What's up with that? Have you seen that? Have people stopped buying tuna? It's not like it's a discount price either.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    What sauce do you like.......???

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Radar,

Yes, I've seen 6-8 paks' shrink-wrapped tuna. If I recognize the brand, price governs. Concur, it's not an economy item.

My prepper philosophy requires me to stockpile foods that are appropriate for both sheltering in place AND for a evacuation. This obliges me yo only get tuna with "pop-up" tops thus avoiding can-openers. I do need a needle nose pliers (packed with supplies) because of arthritic hands (VARO Roanoke vigorously disagrees with me.). Tow small plastic bags per can also packed. One drop of solvent - whatever they pack tuna in nowadays - attracts bugs in warm weather like now.

Tuna and Fukushima is no different than the other places - and what's written on the labels does not win awards for accuracy.

Morgan101, Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I;m asleep, lucky I can type with my eyes closed.
    what sauce?

5. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

Haha! I love your superpowers! You are living up to your cybername, Radar! Who needs ol' eyes when you have good radar! :D

And, now I want to know about the sauce, too.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    My 2 bags of gold dust:

I think IBME meant "What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander"; that is it doesn't matter if the can of tuna is loaded with radioactive substances from the Fukushima disaster or if the tuna is merely contaminated with petroleum pollutants of vintage variety.

As an aside; When in the oil industry working an overseas exploration project, was always around engineers and geologists. I'm from the business side of the house .... er oil rig. Once a geologist handed me a doubled flannel bag used by Seagrams for their liquor bottle. I took the bag from colleague and my arm went downward from the bag's weight. It was loaded with gold dust. He was a real geologist. Nowadays adjectives like "real" are required because we lost George Orwell.

7. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    On a lighter note, went shopping recently, picked up some carrots and put them in my basket. Went to the checkout and the cashier put my shopping through and weighed the carrots, the conversation that ensued is as follows

Her "I'll pop these in a plastic bag for you"
    Me "Its OK I'll just pop the carrots in this shopping bag"
    Her "Its no problem"
    Me "I don't want a plastic bag thank you"
    Her "It won' take two seconds"
    Me " I really, truly and with all my heart do not want my carrots in a plastic bag"
    Her "We have a zero tolerance policy for customer rudeness"

I paid and left with my loose carrots in my shopping bag.

The amount of plastic often used with some products is incredibly wasteful, multibuy Tuna being one example.

Morgan101 and Radar like this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I find that type of packaging with many items at our Wal Mart. Why can't you just buy one bottle of mouthwash? No. They come in packages of two. Same with many types of deodorant. It is usually priced a few cents cheaper if you buy the multiple packages.

In our Wal Mart the tuna is cheapest when you buy the individual cans, and I buy them a lot. As long as they still offer the individual products I can walk away from the multi packs. When they stop offering the individual product and ONLY carry the multi packs I will walk away from Wal Mart.

Duke: I wonder if the zero tolerance policy works both ways. From the way you described it she was very rude to you. How many times do you have to say ' no, I don't want a plastic bag.' before it sinks into her thick head? Does the policy come into effect when the employee is rude to the customer? Just sayin'.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  9. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Its the world we live in Morgan, ebay UK won't list knives for sale, try and buy from the American ebay and your purchase is blocked. A woman shopping with her four year old daughter went to buy a scratch card, the little girl said eight. The cashier refused to sell the ticket to the mother because the mother "was buying for a minor and I'll get fired selling to you" Its a crazy world we live in.

Radar and Morgan101 like this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the not too distant future there will be no till operators and no cash, it'll all be done by debit card on some self scanning machine, I had an experience of this yesterday and I hated it.
    at least in our local Co-op they still take cash.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  11. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Very true Lonewolf. I see many of our retail stores heading in that direction.

Coprepper and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    more profit for the stores and less wages to pay.
    by the time it is in all the stores i'll just order it all on line, i'll probably be too old to go shopping by then anyway.

TMT Tactical, Radar and Morgan101 like this.
  13. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Here it started in the grocery stores. I always saw it as a way to eliminate jobs, and reduce cost. Another service the store was eliminating. Maybe it is whining, but they never reduced prices after eliminating those people, and now I have to bag my own groceries.

Wal Mart now has Scan Only lanes, and far more of those than ones that are attended. I guess it expedites the process if you want to use a credit or debit card. I don't; 99% of the time I use cash.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I use a debit card in the big supermarkets, cash in the small ones.
    I don't like scan only as I have seen lots of people having problems when it dosent scan properly.

TMT Tactical, Radar and Morgan101 like this.
  15. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    All of the 'big four' supermarkets available to me are manned tills and self scan. I won't use self scan simply because I don't want to help put someone out of work.

I do online shopping a few times a year, stock up on a lot of 'basics'. The big supermarket Tesco, run a 25% off all wines a few times a year so I buy a lot of wine then. Its handy, buying stuff certainly drinks by the case can be a pain in the ass loading up your vehicle but a few clicks on the computer and its at my my door.

Morgan101 likes this.
  16. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    My sentiments exactly. I will not use the Self scan either.

17. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Since I am not an employee of the store and not getting paid to scan items, I refuse to use the self scanning lines.

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The stacked and quantity packaging is a sort of scam. It is like the "Giant Economy Size" containers. They want people to think that it is a price saving since the producer does actually save money on the packaging BUTT since the store's price based on supply and demand and most people don't want the big packages they charge more for the "Economy sized" than they do for the smaller size or packages. Most people these days can't do the math and even if there is a label on the shelf giving them a cost per ounce they don't look so the store makes a profit on peoples foolishness.

I like Americans to have jobs so I almost never use the self-checkouts. What we do use is the service where you can grocery shop online place your order and just go to the store and they load it in your car for you. You don't even have to get out of your car. My wife loves it and it also provides a job for a lot of young people that walk around in the store shopping for you. They do a great job and it actually saves you money because you don't have all the impulse buys and just get what you need.

19. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Thats called "Click and collect" in the UK. I don't know about the States but stores here show the price of an item and the price per 100 gms which helps with comparison shopping.

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we buy everything, except food, online and get it delivered to the door, given our location going to a big store would take all day to get there, shop and return, it make sense to get it online and it keeps our postie who is local in work.
    food is different, I am particular in what I buy and I don't want some bored shop worker selecting it for me, meat we buy locally, also eggs.

Morgan101, Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    I buy most meat from a local butcher but do buy Pork and Chicken online (my daughter keeps Chickens so no need to buy eggs) for everyday cooking. If your a long way from a superstore etc then just buy your food basics online, heavy stuff, bulky stuff, canned food to eat and store, rice, pasta, drinks etc, your back will thank you. Taking full advantage of special offers will save you money. Buying wine on offer saves me around £150 per five cases so over the year I'll save best part of £1000.

22. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yet another reason to shop at farmer's markets and pay cash. When cash becomes unavailable, even illegal, then the common folk will be using scrap silver coins (here in the USA it's "1964 and before" silver; 90% that) and barter. Rounds of ammunition will be used as currency. If ammunition is made illegal, GREAT! The value of ammo will then quadruple. Remember the black market is always there for us "deplorables".

Dear old Dad kept his gambling machines in nondescript locations, a county market, the basements of middle-class homes. Taxi cabs would drop off the patrons so that the cars could be kept at more remote locations. If you saw the police there, that was them gathering their payoffs. Every so often there would be a "police raid" to keep the terminally naive people happy. Of course before the raid, the people who would take the fall would be gathered and paid. Since the city was dry (alcohol illegal to sell) profits were even higher -- the bootleggers were but a call away ... or another taxi would pull up. There is no money in the taxi business unless you also deliver liquor and women of the evening.

Such is the way of a free people. This is Liberty in action. Death to Big Brother. It is the do-gooders who are responsible for all of the wars on this planet.

And now tuna comes in individual plastic packs for the construction of individual sandwiches. And mayonnaise comes in plastic packs of individual servings. And salt and pepper in paper packs. Fine with me. It's a free country. Or, it used to be, anyway.

23. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Same here, I have gone up to managers and told them so before leaving a full cart in front of them and walking out.