Painting Ar-15 And Ar-10 "charging" Handles.

Discussion in 'Other DIY' started by Sourdough, Jul 5, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I get about 30 or 40 per day (e-mail) sales promotions from firearms sellers, mostly aftermarket stuff. So I have been reflecting on getting some charging handles in bright red, I thought that might be a good idea. So my next thought was see if I have any bright red paint. I don't but I found several cans of Bright White, figured to give it a flutter. Turned out good so I did a few more, and I now need to do a lot more.

I paint a lot of rifles, and wash the metal parts with hot soapy water, then rinse with very hat water, then spray with brake cleaner before painting. I sure have good sunny weather for painting.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    A friendly bump to get the thread going.

What’s the purpose of painting the charging handle red? I’ve never actually painted a gun before, so I have nothing to add on the subject.

We certainly have dry weather good for painting. I just repainted my deck.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I've painted a few rifles flat black. I use engine paint, not sure if that's necessary. Some of the british SMLEs were painted.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just to make it more visible in low light. I am happy I went with bright white. I have several firearms that are painted all white. I also shorten the Length of Pull (LOP) on designated firearms, to compensate for the heavy winter clothing thickness, just incase we ever get winter again in Alaska.

TMT Tactical likes this.