Panic Buying

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Pragmatist, Feb 20, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.fayobserver.com/news/20200220/fayetteville-region-readies-for-winter-weather

Good afternoon all,

It's Thursday ~ 5 PM with a winter storm soon arriving here - like much of the US South.

The web is loaded with articles on this event.

Yet, something caught my attention on the above link.

We experienced Preppers know about "Panic Buying" and the related environment. Repeat: the related environment.

In the link the Food Lion Assistant Manager says "... even the slightest weather scares people".

I placed this mundane article here at "Mental Health" to remind all of how the panicked may and frequently do act. Activate situational awareness when shopping ! Ditto for gasoline stations and north of Fayetteville, N.C. in Virginia, exercise care also around the liquor stores. Don't know but will guess North Carolina is = in similarities and dangers.

Remind me to "RSVP Regrets" if Nancy Chilton invites me over. Whether she's a Prepper or not, when I become a weather shut-in, last on my list is frozen pizza.

I am now in the mood for some hush puppies and other fried stuff I'm not supposed to have.

Safety, safety, safety !

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't call it "panic buying" to stock up on things ahead of a snow storm.
    They are predicting 3-7" here from now until tomorrow morning.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Preppers stock up when it is on sale. Uburbanites and Suburbanites stock up when the weatherman (sexist) says the storm is coming. Sheeple stock up when the weatherman says the storm will hit their location tomorrow. The bottom of the gene pool don't stock up at all and expect the government to come save them.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have this philosophy buy something "when you see it not when you need it", if you only buy when you need it it will be sold out. that's why we have larders and storage areas.
    I also have this saying, "its better on my shelves than on the supermarket shelves", bearing in mind said supermarket is usually a 50 mile round trip.

5. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    "Stocking up" can't really be done with some items, and having to prepare extra meals can cause a change of plans.

"Perishables" are what most buy just ahead of a storm.

Having an extra loaf or two of bread, a couple of gallons of milk and an extra dozen or two of eggs can come in handy if schools are closed and those kids are at home wanting meals they would normally be getting somewhere else.

That hardly makes someone "sheeple".

My location only got about 1.5", but the temps still aren't above freezing so far today. Hopefully that will be all the snow and ice we get before next Winter. ;)

poltiregist likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Snyper,

Just finished removing ~ 3 inches of snow and a dash of ice from 2 vehicles and then performed "maintenance" on "tools". Push broom and and step ladder for truck roof cleaned of snow. Refilled deicer sprayer from gallon jug. Ready for tomorrow, at least in theory.

My post was about 1. panic buying and 2. the related environment.

The environment in a grocery store includes several identifiable groups. I was clearly addressing those involved in panic buying ...... coupled my mention for Forum Members: situational awareness.

Perishable groceries are not needed - nice to maintain a routine, but not needed. Weather emergencies can cause power outages. Many decent Americans with young kids can and do live without milk and bread during emergencies. There are quality substitutes.

TMT's and Lonewolf's posts here clarify my points on panic buying and situational awareness.

Prep, prep, prep
    and
    factor in safety

and safety requires situational awareness and hoped-for preparedness so as not to need to enter a grocery store where panic buyers could realistically be present.

Foot Note:

Tell your neighbors with school kids to look for sales of cans of fruit juice eg apricot nectar, ... stuff not needing refrigeration and healthy (NOT Hawaiian Punch !). Your neighbors will survive the weather emergency and thrive - and the kids will learn not to rely on refrigerated milk.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    some of the national papers are reporting panic buying here in the UK but so far I have seen no evidence of this in my area.

TMT Tactical, poltiregist and Rebecca like this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    We discussed this very issue on another forum. Yesterday I went to the Wally World close to me, and saw no evidence of panic buying. The store was not overly crowded. Nobody had an excessive amount of anything. No overloaded carts. Shelves were all stocked , and while some were a little picked over there was still plenty of product left to buy. I have seen no evidence of panic buying in my area.

TMT Tactical, poltiregist and Rebecca like this.
  9. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    The only things I noticed yesterday in this little corner of Nova Scotia was that Walmart and the supermarkets were completely out of hand sanitizer - otherwise everything else was as normal. I also kept an eye out for masks of any kind as a matter of interest (glad I got mine long ago!) And there were none to be found even in the hardware stores. But in regards to food on shelves all was business as usual.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  10. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    my quarantine tape that I bought through amazon came in today . Likely I will never need it but just in case I have it . That is an item I am expecting people to be buying up , if the virus keeps spreading . I am trying to stay ahead of the crowd and potential price hikes .

TMT Tactical, Morgan101 and Rebecca like this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Real good move !

Poltiregist, you're prepared.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  12. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    It's not about "survival".
    It's about buying the things they want before weather conditions make travel dangerous.
    It's common sense.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Where I live hand sanitizer and N-95 respirator already rare at the start of the epidemic (when WHO was still denying it)

14. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Self quarantine seems to now being implemented by some in the U.S. . Creepy looking folks piling out of a van late at night just before the food store closes wearing masks covering their mouth and nose grabing food and hastely throwing into van . This is in the Ozarks . Have you guys noticed such activity ?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  15. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Haven't seen these "sky is falling" shoppers as yet in rural Tidewater, Virginia.

At Virginia's closest COSTCO to Washington, D.C., my daughter did see 'em and labeled theses people "doomsday shoppers".

16. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have not seen anything like that, and I am not terribly far from the Ozarks. Things here appear to be pretty normal.