Park Ranger Career

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Captain, Dec 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Captain

Captain Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    thinking of becoming a park ranger, any advice?

2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Over 40 years ago, I worked a summer with the Forestry Service, USA. It is a branch of the Agriculture Dept. Back then there were too many folk with Forestry degrees, incl. Masters level, and these jobs filled-up all too quickly, so those with degrees were filling positions well below their education level.

People with degrees also got jobs with lumber and paper companies.

Check in today and see what the situation is.

The following looks like a bunch of hype: https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/workwithus.htm

Get in touch with those who are already working in the service. I had a friend become some sort of outdoor guide out California way, but haven't talked to him in over 20 years.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you love the outdoors and enjoy the simple life you will love it. The pay isn't top of the line but the working conditions are spectacular. I have several friends that are Park Rangers at the State Park where I used to do a class teaching kids about fishing and they were all pretty happy people. There is more to life than money. It can be a good living and usually comes with good insurance and retirement.

AuntB likes this.