Patience Grasshopper......patience...

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by watcherchris, Dec 17, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Patience Grasshopper......Patience.....
    I was stunned the other day when I made a trip across the river and picked up some gunpowder and a bag of brass for reloading...particularly .308 brass..

What they had in the case was a Thompson Contender in .41 Magnum.

Also in the case was another barrel in .357 Magnum.

I went back today and bought the single shot handgun in 14 inch barrel in .41 Magnum calibration.

The barrel is good....and the rifling ...so too is the crown...the trigger pull is wonderful just like the one I already own. Almost no take up, clean crisp light break and little to no over travel. This tool comes with Iron Sights. Never done it but now I have a trigger scale and should know at what it breaks in pounds of force.
    I'll get back to the members on this one.

For the monies I spent for it.....it would have cost me that much to get one made in a machine shop...

I declined the .357 Magnum barrel as it showed pitting in my Mag Lite at the receiver end...where the rifling begins. Not for me thanks.

Also .357 Magnum Barrels are rather common and .41 Magnum barrels are not.

Glad now that I did not get ahold of Match Grade Machine and order one made.

Will get round to trying it out soon.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Will report on how it performs

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My question is too premature, but I can't help myself from askin, are you figuring on putting a scope on it should it be accurate enough to "reach out there"?

Tree stand, .41 mag, open sights = deer in the freezer. I mean even with "long arms" disease, I can use open sights (even at my age, if it weren't for having astigmatism in my right eye, shooting eye, I'd have 20/20 vision, as I do in my left eye, God's sense of humor). With my continuous bifocals I can make that front post come in clear. Close-in you don't gotta focus on the dear. Just put the focused post in the middle of the fuzzy rear sights and on the critter's boiler works (I shoot fine-bead). Boom! Table meat & jerky.

wally, watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    "There is meaning in waiting."

Miguel Unamuno, The Tragic Sense of Life

wally, watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    In answer to your question Olde Geezer...

Yes..I am considering putting glass on it at some time down the road...

It is not really necessary but a consideration depending first on how it shoots in initial trials.

In this calibration I don't see putting a lot of magnification on it as I have on my 7mm TCU caliber....or the .35 Remington.

This makes the fifth barrel I now have for this Thompson Contender tool.

This also completes my plans for it.

All of these are 14 inch barrels

.22s LR

.35 Remington

7mm TCU

.41 Magnum.

I do not mind having a .357 Magnum barrel for it but want one in 14 inch...not the 10 inch as was the pitted barrel in the store the other day.

Also I am thinking that a used .357 is very likely to be shot out as .357 is a much more commonly available calibration than is .41 magnum and thus liable to have seen much more use. Best to get one in new condition.

But again not part of my original plans..

If I find one ....new or in good shape no problem...if not ok too.

The .41 Magnum I now have in two wheel guns, the Henry Rifle and now this Contender ...as per my plans. Plenty of brass put back for it as well....Starline brass.

I just cant believe I walked into the store and there she was.... I was stunned... .41 Magnum barrels are difficult to find...as compared to other calibrations.

And yes indeed...Pragmatist...a lot to be said for patience...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have all the patience of a ferret. I blame God. Never during prayers do I apologize for being impatient. It's how I'm wired. The Big Guy did this to me. That's where I stand and I'm not backing down. :rolleyes:

"Also I am thinking that a used .357 is very likely to be shot out as .357 is a much more commonly available calibration than is .41 magnum and thus liable to have seen much more use. Best to get one in new condition."

It is very difficult to shoot-out a barrel. It is easy to shoot-out the barrel of a .220 Swift -- 4000ft/sec. will do that. On a rifle, with high pressure loads, you can set a bolt-face back; but shooting-out the rifling, that takes some doing. Most folk destroy their barrels by cleaning them to death. Micro particles of metal stick to a cleaning rod and the cleaning tip. These particles form a type of "sand paper" and damage the rifling over time. That's why we shooters use steel cleaning rods -- particulates are not as likely to stick to steel. One should NEVER use an aluminum cleaning rod. Even the cleaning tip that holds the cleaning patch must be steel.

In a Contender, heavy loads would likely be more damaging to the action of the weapon, not the rifling of the barrel. One could imagine the interface point(s) between the barrel and the receiver going out of tolerance with rocko-shocko loads.

Rejecting a barrel for having damage is just the thing to do. Somebody abused the barrel. Some idiot ruined a piece of fine engineering. Even with the best metallurgy, ferrous metals oxydize. This is Earth.

"I just cant believe I walked into the store and there she was.... I was stunned... .41 Magnum barrels are difficult to find..."

Synchronicities are not accidents. Aligning one's will with the Will of the Creator results in synchronicities falling like snowflakes.

upload_2020-12-18_9-22-21.png

wally, TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.