Perimeter Defense; Do It Yourself

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Old Geezer, Mar 14, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Humans have used animals, especially dogs, as their perimeter alarms for millennia. But hey, we are tool-makers, so we have come up with mechanical devices for perimeter defense.

There are all manner of military and civilian perimeter defense products. However, one cannot go down to one's hardware store and buy a claymore anti-personnel mine. Too, one may not want explosive wounding/killing devices at all.

But tripwires that set off .22 blanks or 12 ga blanks could really come in handy post-SHTF. Rattling tin cans is one thing but a 12 blank really lets everybody know that the festivities have begun.

First, there are products you can purchase:

Source
    https://fithops.com/?msclkid=6150b5d3063a1112c08ad59d696e30bb&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search - Brand&utm_term=fith ops&utm_content=FITHOps

Another company:

https://triggercannons.com/product-category/perimeter-alarms/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so there are a couple of commercially-available perimeter alarms that are available. Next up are the do-it yourself ideas.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Now let's start with the make-do crew of ideas for perimeter alarms.

Here are some totally low-budget jerry-rigs:

mouse trap 20 gauge

mouse trap caps

rolling ball makes contact inside syringe

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, what ideas do you all have? What make-do perimeter alarms have you used?

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the garden hose with nails is called a "hedgehog", a larger wooden variety will puncture car tyres and stop vehicular access.
    for pedestrian egress I prefer trip wires.
    both only to be used after TSHTF/WROL of course.
    there are various alarms on the market which can be had for not much money and are legal to use now. shed/garage/personal alarms which only require a cord to be pulled and emit a loud alarm.
    I still think the best alarm is a dog.

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Dogs really are man's best friend. Horses, next up.
      No alarm system has the features of a dog. Dogs can not only see trouble, they can smell and hear trouble.
      I can grab my wife's arm and pretend to be attacking her. The dog will then place itself in front of the wifer and growl at me. The dog's around 70 pounds and is, of course, equipped with fangs. Were I unknown to the dog and grabbed my wife, I would end up bleeding.

Old Geezer, Jun 29, 2023
  7. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Read a cute item. Person talking to neighbor. "What is with all these Garden Gnome's? Neighbor answers: They are filled with Tannerite and nails.

Just a thought. LOL

1. Old Geezer
      I like it!
      Only downside is that I get the willies around explosives. Don't like to be anywhere near them ... especially when someone is sticking-in the blasting caps. Was near, VERY near, where a huge rock came down after blowing a mountain face where a road had collapsed / avalanched (forestry road). We were on the other side of the hill, so I'd say that rock was blown 2/10ths of a mile from the blast and I don't even know how far up in the sky. It was over 20 sticks of dynamite for that job, but things like that make for a "wake-up call". Enormous fires, explosives, tornadoes ... NOT for me. Don't want to be in the same county. My life's never been threaten by a forest fire. I want it to stay that way.

Old Geezer, Jun 29, 2023