Petroleum Jelly......... Vaseline Jelly.... Wonderful Stuff

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by Sourdough, May 3, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Petroleum Jelly.........Vaseline Jelly....Wonderful Stuff.

I buy this stuff by the case. If I could find it in five gallon buckets I would purchase that way.

howler and randyt like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    We have this last week nearly 18 hours a day of lovely sunshine. So I hauled out four "TUBS" (13 oz. $1.95 each) and went to work on the winter stuff. Winter boots, Winter mittens, Winter gloves, Belts, Gun slings, and yes boys and girls winter steel wool. And a fair amount of summer stuff also.

So todays quiz question: Steel Wool and Vaseline.........??? Plus used paper towels.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    randyt likes this.
  3. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    You ran out of toilet paper.

Blitz likes this.
  4. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    steel wool and Vaseline, sounds like a fire starter/extender. Steel wool in its self will light up with a spark, maybe the Vaseline allows it to burn a lot longer.

you use Vaseline on leather goods, I never knew.

Do you keep any bag balm on hand?

Sourdough likes this.
  5. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    YES........strangely a almost never use it, I do like it. Just rarely need it.

YES........

YES........but only on soft leather, not on Holsters. However I deeply love flap holsters, and I liberally use Petroleum Jelly on the flap part, as I want that soft and flexible.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    watcherchris and randyt like this.
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just bought two more of the large containers of petroleum Jelly and put them aside.

Do the same with the olde vapor rub...buy it and put it back..

Even used petroleum Jelly to lubricate fishing reels when taking them apart, cleaning , and reassembly .
    Great stuff...

Watcherchris,
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Sourdough likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. Not what I've known Vaseline for, hahahahha!

I find lanolin works extremely well for lubricating various items, including skin. It's brilliant stuff.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    petroleum jelly comes from the oil industry, I hate the stuff.
    wont be much of it about post TEOTWAWKI once the stocks are used up.

Blitz likes this.
    1. Blitz
      Exactly. Lanolin is the go.

Blitz, May 4, 2020
      lonewolf likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    natural/herbal ointments usually have a beeswax base, the ones I have tried at least.

10. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, beeswax is also good, though it doesn't have the lasting protection that lanolin has.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am still using some that was made several years ago.

12. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    That sure as hell lasts a long time!

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I know Lanolin is found on sheep's fleece but i'm not sure how to process it.

14. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    You should be able to buy it at a chemist. I get it in a tube, which lasts yonks.

When I washed my sheep's fleece, the lanolin comes out. However, it is a pain to process. To be frank, it's a lot easier to just buy it already processed.

I'm presuming you can buy it there. It's really good for nappy rash, so I would think chemists would have it.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sorry, I am think about post Collapse resources when such places wont be functioning.
    just walking into a chemist and buying it is too damn easy!!:D

Blitz likes this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Hahahhahaha! What more can I say? Hahahahahaha!

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    What about Beef Dripping? now that was wonderful on toast, mind you that's a Northern thing, most Southerners would turn their nose up at the very thought.

Blitz likes this.
    1. Blitz
      Ooooh yes! Delicious with lashings of salt and pepper! Many a hungry mouths were fed with beef dripping and bread.

Blitz, May 4, 2020
  18. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Sourdough: I do share your passion for Vaseline, but don't keep such copious quantities. I have containers in all of our BOB's. Some are small travel sizes. Some are larger.

I have never used lanolin, but isn't that more expensive than Vaseline? Maybe not enough to make a difference.

Blitz likes this.
    1. Blitz
      I haven't bought Vaseline for years, so really don't know. I would think it probably is. Nonetheless, it is worth the added expense, if any, as the quality is far superior.

Blitz, May 4, 2020
  19. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    It is massively more expensive. "Massively". Especially if purchased as pure lanolin. It is generally a small part of many products because of cost.

Morgan101 likes this.
    1. Blitz
      Just Googled it. In Aust, Lanolin is $3.92 for a 20g tube. Vaseline is $2.99 for a 50g container. So, yes, lanolin is a lot more expensive. However, quality over quantity any day.

Blitz, May 4, 2020
  20. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    i use dubbin for leather treatment . Tana Dubbin is a combination of natural grease and plant oils to replace oils that gradually diminish from leather and keep your genuine leather moccasins, shoes or boots soft and supple.
    MY brother worked at as a lumber jack many years ago. the men there showed him how to keep the boots waterproof without ruinning the rubber parts
    492ccdd1eadc86bf36e4d9987a278d8c.jpeg

Blitz likes this.
  21. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Crap, something to add to my inventory. Honestly I missed this one. I always have some around, but not enough.