Physical Training Section

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by omegaman, Oct 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Why is there no section on this? Losing weight, gaining strength, nutrition and working out. It's a strange trend to overlook this in the prepper community. How could you possibly be fit for the challenge of a lifetime if you carry around 20lbs of bodyfat and can hardly lift an axe? Comon mods. This is more important than "What brand knife you got there?".

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    May I suggest you start a post in the "Hangout" forum Ome. (I just lost 7 kilos in 7 weeks:)).
    Keith.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Loosing weight is NOT something to strive for. The entire skinny is better thing is an unhealthy fad. The thing is to be in shape and that is not related to being skinny. One reason I can so easily fast is that even now I have some fat reserves for my body to work with. At 265 I was walking 5 to 10 miles a day and bench pressing over 300 pounds and was above the rim on a basketball goal. When it comes to survival I'm not interested in looking sexy I want to be BIG strong and in shape. At 6'2" and 225 lbs I'm in good shape for a 65 year old man. I know that most young men would be in for a VERY rude surprise if they crossed this old man. I'm always armed with several layers of weaponry and always ready.

4. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Nobody has talked about being overly skinny or looking sexy. I had to do some calculations and yes, I do hope everybody who has arms and legs can do 10 miles a day and press atleast their own weight +25% if they are somewhat healthy.

This "I don't care about being sexy-thing" is something untrained individuals often throw at you. I held alot of drills in my military days and I take some untrained people on hikes in my current line of profession and I know, they dont have the physique for it. Pretty much everybody can get through just about anything, but the focus that should be on other tasks, are instead on their body because stubbornness can somewhat compensate for an untrained body, but it takes the joy out of moving and makes the individual grumpy and brings down the morale of the entire group.

And, well, science. Overweight is unhealthy. I didn't make it up. Bad health kills. I didn't make that up either. And surviving is the opposite of dying.

Bottom line, offcourse, it's ones own body and everybody does what they wish. But to encourage people to kill themselves on a forum who is aimed towards NOT DYING is a bit weird dont you think?

If you have people counting on you, if you are the pre-destined leader of a group, could be your family or just civilian sheeple, it is down right unresponsible to allow your body to fail you and them in the process.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm 6ft tall 240 lbs, i'd be classed as overweight or even obese by some health professionals here, but I walk every day 7 days a week, I can ride a bicycle-probably twice as far as I can walk and in half the time!
    I am fit for my age-69 and don't have any major health problems.

omegaman likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There is just too much emphasis on weight these days. About all I can see is that we are filling up nursing homes with old skinny people. Being morbidly obese is bad but telling people that have an extra 25 or 30 pounds of padding that they are some how less worthwhile is stupid and there is a lot of that these days. I watched my parents sit in a nursing home waiting for death and I'll pass on that thank you. Maybe being thin makes you live longer but I don't really see it as being worth all that much. I'm big. I've always been big and most of my life I have been in very good shape able to walk miles and miles with no real effort. It is in the genes. Dark Germans and Viking Scotts are big people. When I was in my teens it was really funny when some fool mistaked my stocky shape for being fat. You couldn't hit my abs hard enough to bother me. My gut was like iron. Even now I'm built like a barrel but still have a 50" chest and a 36" waist.