Pigweed

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by Okaviator, Jul 12, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG] If any of you guys have this weed growing in your garden I just want to tell you that it's actually edible! I've found that I can put it in stir fry's and even broil it. And for the adventurous few out there I'm sure you could even stick it in green smoothies.

2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Sorry but your picture won't load so I can't see it but I've grown another variety of Ameranth for its seed before now, it is part of the same family as quinoa.

3. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I am also wondering about which weed @Okaviator is talking about because I can't see the picture either. I think that she (and you, @Ystranc ) are probably referring to what we call Lamb's Quarters, which is part of the amaranth family. It grows wild in a lot of places; but we do not seem to have any here in northern Alabama where I live. I have heard of this plant referred to as pigweed; but there is another weed that is also called by that name.
    We had an abundance of lamb's quarters in Idaho, and I used it like spinach.
    What I do have lots of here is plantain, both the wide leaf and the narrow leaf, and I have used that in green smoothies, as well as cooked foods. The seeds of the plantain are what they make psyllium (laxative fiber) from the hulls; but I have not tried using the seeds of the plantain or the Lamb's Quarters.

4. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty sure quinoa is significantly different, the seeds are larger and are a staple food in some South American countries.

5. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    We actually grow pigweed in my region and there are even scientifically bred varieties of pigweed. Seeds are purchased at agrovets and planted during the rainy season. Many communities are adopting these vegetables which were previously classified as weeds because of their high nutritional value. I harvest plentiful supplies growing in the wild during the rainy season.