Pine Needles

Discussion in 'Edible Plants, Berries, and Roots' started by Sack, Aug 2, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sack

Sack New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I heard pine needles are high in vitamin C. As we have long leaf yellow pine here I broke off a branch and made tea for several days. Not much taste I must say. But I had to try it. It’s not bad and the vitamin C can save your life. Be careful what pine tree you get it from. I hear there is a couple that may not be good.

2. survivalgames121

survivalgames121 Expert Member
      156/173

Blog Posts:
    You heard right about some pines not being the best for you as they can have a mild "poison" as like a natural bug killer. What helps with the taste is if you find the right kind of pine make the tea as you described and see if you can find some pine sap. Put a little in the tea. Natural sugar. Can't go wrong there!!

3. Sack

Sack New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I’ll try that.

survivalgames121 likes this.
  4. survivalgames121

survivalgames121 Expert Member
      156/173

Blog Posts:
    When i was camped last year I did the pine needles and sap but i also had a BlackBerry bush maybe couple hundred feet away. So i also added that in. Wasnt a bad cocktail

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Pine-Needle-Tea

https://www.dailydetoxhacks.com/pine-needle-tea/

When the first Europeans came to America they had a hard time. The plant life that they were used to didn't exist here and many of their plants wouldn't set fruit here well at all. They were basically starving to death and suffering from all sorts of nutritional deficiencies. Finally some of the native Americans took mercy on them and one of the first things that they shared was pine needle tea as a cure for scurvy. One of the other problems they encountered was that there were no honey bees native to the Americas and plants that depended on them for pollination were in trouble.

Pine needle tea has about 5 times the vitamin C as the same amount of squeezed lemon juice and about 4 times as much as orange juice. There are a lot of different types of pine trees I know that the white pine is generally considered the best. About the only warning that I have found in connection to pine needle tea is a possible problem with it causing problems for pregnant women. Some say yes and some say it's a myth. Whatever, pregnant women need to be careful of a lot of things so just to be on the safe side I wouldn't drink anything that I wasn't sure of.

6. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Up on hunting trips we used to drink pine needle tea to help with colds. I’ve been told large amounts can be toxic to some people and extended use irritates the kidneys. Also people should rub a bit of pine resin in a spot on your skin to check if they have a reaction. A lot better to have a rash on the skin then finding out after ingesting.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure drinking lemon juice in quantity would be good for you if you did it all the time. Like a lot of things this might be a little dab will do you. Another plant that is great if you have it is Yaupon Holly. It grows wild in the South and is the only plant native to North America that has caffeine. It will be my go to replacement for tea and coffee. I don't drink coffee in mass either but really like it in the morning. Iced Tea is a staple in Texas. I drink it in the place of soda water drinks. I also grow peppermint and it also has C and a lot of other good things. Peppermint tea is good stuff.

https://www.nutrition-and-you.com/peppermint.html

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bears know where the berry bushes grow. Keep that in mind.

We used to pick blueberries out a patch up at 5000+ ft. Beautiful place. I can't remember being killed and eaten. Maybe it was timing.

Radar likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We have hogs all over the place here but no bears. Pretty much if the hogs can eat it people probably can too. Their digestive system and skin is much like ours.

10. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Pine needle tea is pretty commonly used right across Northern Europe and Scandinavia, I've never developed a taste for it though.

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    never used it myself although I've seen Ray Mears do it enough times on his programmes, isn't there some chemicals in the needles that are dangerous if used often?

12. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    No idea, I don't like it enough to drink it that much.

lonewolf likes this.
  13. Kootenay prepper

227/230

Blog Posts:
    The pine needle tea is definitely not the best tasting I prefer getting the vitamin C from huckleberries but have be aware of the bears. Your right lonewolf can be toxic if drinking pine needle tea to much.

lonewolf likes this.
  14. Kootenay prepper

227/230

Blog Posts:
    CA95A558-6C7A-4727-9638-456AED46DF59.jpeg D9F8552F-DBE4-439B-9760-03127AC666A7.jpeg BE29BABB-1D6A-4573-ACFF-D4C91131B631.jpeg 961ED204-4D49-4929-8764-A73D93731068.jpeg Here’s a bit of info I found in a book on pine trees for different uses

Attached Files:

TexDanm likes this.
  15. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Kootenay, very considerate of you to look that out and post it. Good information. I trust books a damn sight more than I trust the Internet.