Pistol vs revolver

Discussion in 'Gun Comparisons' started by Arboreal, Jun 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I shoot long guns left handed. Pistols I shoot right handed. I can and am able to close either eye, so for pistols I close the left eye and for long guns (scoped) I close the right eye. I do have better vision in my left eye, due to a botched surgery on my right eye. Seems to work for me. I will never be a great pistol shot, hands shake too much but I am good enough to limit the life span of an aggressor. With long guns, I am very good ( not great), sub MOA groups, even past 200 yards. I enjoy tinkering with firearms and am a bit anal about accuracy. So I always spend some extra time and sometime money working to improve the accuracy / performance of my firearms, along with my own personal skills.

2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Gun-lust central; revolver vixens:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sold on needing a 500 mag for anything other than hunting.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  4. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    For walking in the woods where critters may be considering me for lunch, I like the heavier caliber revolvers', For walking around 2 legged critters, I prefer the mag capacity of semiautos.

Old Geezer likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The 500 is strictly a self-defense number ... against bears ... big bears ... BIG bears ... half-ton bears.

The 500 is too much for black bears. The bullet would sail through a black bear without expanding.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fortunately, where I live, bears are not a problem. Actually, other than the two-legged vermin we have very little that is much of a problem if you understand them. The only critter that I watch out for and carry a gun for that isn't human are the poisonous snakes that we have that are somewhat aggressive.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Shot cartridges out of a handgun, are these effective against snakes. Like #9 shot .38/357 -- one gets a doughnut / toroid pattern, i.e. less shot in the middle -- do these work up-close on snakes.

OR, should one carry a short .410 or 20 ga. for snakes in Texas = rattlers. Louisiana = water moccasins -- will come after you side-winding. Scary sh##.

What's your opinion? Me, I don't know. Where I live is not eaten-up with poisonous snakes -- just the occasional copperhead and the rare rattler.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have used 357 shot shells on rattlesnakes and they were very effective and lethal to the snakes. One shot, one dead snake.

Morgan101 and Old Geezer like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Thanks, this is good info. I've only seen .38/.357 shotshells. Is there such a thing as .357 shotshells? I've just never seen them. I knew a guy who kept shotshells in his .38 snub for dispatching snakes, but never heard him talk about their effectiveness. The guy got killed in a boating accident, so I doubt I'll hear his report ... in this world.

Old Geezer, Sep 19, 2021
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I used to carry a little over/under 38 derringer with snake shot in it and it was deadly at short distances like less than 10 feet. I now carry a tiny little North American mini revolver and it has worked well for snakes also. The 22 rat shot shell is still a good killer close up for snakes. I have two shot shells and then three LR hollow points. I can hit a snake in the head with the slugs at the kind of distances where I am going to shoot a snake with a pocket pistol.

PS: I am mostly a live and let live sort of person when it comes to snakes. I kill poisonous ones in my yard to protect my dogs and Grand-baby. Out when I am in their territory if they don't mess with me I don't mess with them. They have their place in our ecology and I seldom kill now for any reason other then to eat something or to protect my home property from poisonous snakes,

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is super info! Thanks much.

I'm the same with snakes, live and let live. Them killing rodents is a huge help to humanity. We've got big blacksnakes around here and they hurt if they bite you, but you ain't gonna die.

Killing a snake is when they are venomous and could do harm -- too close in on you or others.

The .38 info is dynamite. Plus, I too have a NAA mini-revolver in .22 mag. and they make shotshells for that cartridge. I have some, but I have never patterned it. From what you've shared, sounds like it could just be effective close-up, i.e. danger distance from a rattler or copperhead.

The NAA is something someone can just drop in their pocket, which is something I perpetually do. I hear gunfire around here. Sometimes drug dealers do a stupid drive by. My drug-dealing neighbor's grandkid, et. al. plus grandma moved away. Responsible girl's dad (would have talked to him but he doesn't speak English) bought the house and fixed it up for her and she is super responsible -- HURRAH! Another neighbor who's been back out of jail for a while (for putting one of his women in the hospital) and the pack that live there continually have people come by and they scream and curse, but haven't shot at each other so far. I've heard no gunfire within two tenths of a mile.

I've got a big pile of brush out back and then there's the wood pile where snakes are want to hide. A local guy -- we've not lived here so awful long (and will likely move soon) -- told me that there were water moccasins around here. I didn't want to hear that.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I to go with the live and let live concept. If I am in their territory and they are not aggressive, I leave them alone. The two I shot and killed were in my back yard. At that time I had little kids and a pet dog. The snake had to go!

NOTE: The 38 /357 (not sure which caliber now) is powerful enough to blow out the side windows of a vehicle at close range. I know because I got to test it our in a junk yard. Fun days.