Planting Mint In Garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by overcast, Jul 10, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    One of my friend has the mint leaves in his garden. And he said, just taking one branch and then planting it in some container can get it to spread. I am not sure of this theory. But I am going to try planting the mint in one of the container that I own. In such case I want to know from you if you have tried this method for planting mint. Do you have mint in your garden?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes we grow our own mint.
    Keith.

3. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    We grow mint, too, and it will definitely spread. Each clump of mint will grow larger; plus it will go to seed and start new clumps of mint in other places in the garden. Once it is established, you can take small clippings of of the main plant and start a new clump somewhere else, or if one comes up where you do not want it to grow, then you can just dig it up and move it.
    I love the smell of mint, and we use the fresh leaves in ice tea and also in lemonade , as well as in green smoothies. If you let it grow until just before it blossoms, then you can prune the stalks back and dry the stalks that you have cut down, and then you can have dried mint leaves for your hot tea in the winter time.
    Mint is supposed to discourage mosquitoes and bugs; but so far, I am not sure that it is doing that because we still get a lot of mosquitoes. Maybe you have to have it growing right next to where you are sitting for it to help; but these mosquitoes are determined, and there is a lot of them.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We have several mint plants in our front yard garden. We propagate it by planting the so called "runners." These the branches that crawl and develop roots. I'm not sure if an ordinary branch will grow but that runner is sure to grow because it already has roots. It takes a month for new branches to appear after planting the runner. Mint is easy to grow, as long as you give it enough water. What's good in mint is that you can use the leaves directly after picking, no more processing needed.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Mint is highly invasive so I'd suggest keeping it in a container with drainage holes or pot and burying the pot or container to prevent the mint spreading in all directions.

To start a new plant just pinch off a small sprig from the parent plant nip out the bud then remove all but one pair of leaves near the tip. Place this in half a glass of water so the bare base of the sprig is submerged (called a cutting) and the leaves are just above the rim. It will soon form a small tangle of roots.
    Lift it out of the water by a leaf, not the stem and poke a small hole in your compost before putting the plant (green bit upwards) into the hole and firming the compost or soil around it and soaking the compost to water the plant in.
    Ensure that all the roots remain buried before putting it somewhere sunny. Keep the compost damp until it's planted out into the ground.
    This technique will work for most perennial soft stemmed plants.

6. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes I have seen it grow like weed. So going to keep aside from the other plants. So as not to let other plants die due to it. I think it does spread from all possible direction. I also noticed it does require some sunlight too. But I am guessing that it can do well in container or some can and no special space may be taken by the plant. I don't want too much of mint leaves obviously due to space issues.

7. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes I have both mint, and lemon balm and catnip which are in the mint families as well. Believe your friend when he says that is all it takes, because anything in the mint family grows like wildfire. There are many people who left their mint gardens unattended and have claimed that it overgrew throughout their entire gardens. They are very hardy plants but I love just about every plant in the mint family as they are so unique and useful.

DirtDiva likes this.
  8. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I heard a lot about Lemon Balm, not tried it. We don't seem to have it nearby. I may have to find nursery to get the plant. Also I am thinking if the Mint plant kept with less sunlight would be better. I am not sure how much sunlight it requires. I have just kept it near the balcony. And hoping that things work with that level of sunlight.

9. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I have mint growing out front. My wife and neighbor tried to kill it out Its still going great. I like to make tea and then mash leaves and put in the pitcher. Relieves my gas problems fairly well. LOL

DirtDiva likes this.
  10. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    We grow a little bit, but not a ton. For our culinary uses, we don't need a whole lot. It is pretty easy to grow here though.

11. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    We have mint too and the theory is real. We started with just a little and now we have too much that we are trading them with our neighbors.

12. BeatriceSmith101

BeatriceSmith101 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Your friend got a point. But you need some preparations before that.
    Apply rooting hormone for a better success rate.
    Some nutritious and soft soil for the plant to grow.
    A suitable environment, 25-280C is perfect. Little sunlight every day. Don't give it too much or it'll die.
    And that's it. Good luck.

1. BeatriceSmith101
      Updated: I've found a cool post on how to grow mint indoor. Sounds interesting.

BeatriceSmith101, Nov 24, 2017
  13. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Most plants will spread clone or start if done right dont forget pepprrmint spearmint. Fresh herbs and spices add both flavor and health to the diet

14. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We have one type of mint growing under the water tank overflow, & we are planting another type in the same place near the garden water tank. Seems pretty hardy & grows well.
    Keith.

15. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    I've always had mint in the garden but it's important to have a designated spot as it will spread and kill off other plants quickly. When i first started the garden here the ants were horrible and would prevent most plants from growing. Within a month of planting the mint in the ant areas it reduced the ants in that area tremendously.

16. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    there are 7,534 different species of mint. Bee careful, as many can spread like wildfire and wreck the ecosystem of your garden in very adverse ways! My mint is always planted in containers, even in old yogurt containers w/holes on the bottom, so it is easier to keep it contained.

and yes, the "bee" was intentional ;) - bees do love mint!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. DirtDiva

DirtDiva Master Survivalist
      285/345

Blog Posts:
    I have mint areas in my chicken yard. When the mint hangs down from the raised half barrel the chickens eat it. I also have a couple patches with wire around it in the chicken run. It pokes it's little head out the chickens eat it and keep it pruned back. Same with lemon balm.

TMT Tactical likes this.