Planting what you eat

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by Corzhens, May 23, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    In the olden days, while vacationing in the province, my grandfather would tell us kids to plant the seeds of the fruit we are eating if it is sweet otherwise don't throw it anywhere for it might grow. That advice is to uplift the quality of fruits because there are fruits in the market with a bad quality in taste.

Now that we have a backyard garden, I still do that sometimes - planting the seeds if the fruit I ate was good. The last time was the cantaloupe which was very sweet. Now that cantaloupe vine is fruiting and my harvest is a small fruit. The first is a bit bigger than a jackstone ball and the second is much bigger but still small compared to the standard size. When I asked around, the answer was hybrid. When you plant a hybrid seed, you are not sure of what quality the plant would have when it grows. That's the reason why it is recommended to buy from the seed store whatever you want to plant.

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I also plant the seeds within my backyard's soil as long as the weather conditions are favorable to thrive the desired kind of fruits. Mango and Pomalaca fruit trees grow fairly easy in tropical weathers, It must pass several years for these plants to reach maturity but they technically can take care of themselves. Just put the seed and let it be.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I think that's an easy way to get starter plants. Even with vegetables like tomatoes, you could toss a few of them into your backyard garden. Some will grow and you can transplant them if you want to or thin the seedlings if you don't want to.

4. amonda

amonda New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Eating what you plant is a good thing to implement, you are planting your own food, so you know exactly what's going on in and so forth, so you don't have to be worried about pesticides and large manufacturing companies putting wax on fruits.