Please Suggest Some "pre-1899" Rifles, That Are Fairly Availabe

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Sourdough, Mar 16, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Please suggest some "Pre-1899" rifles, that are fairly available. I am interested in buying some BATF&E classified "Antique" Rifles.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    bump start.

3. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    there are some small ring mausers in 7mm, some of teh early 30-40 krag rifles, there may be some 6.5x55 mauser too.

Maybe go to gunbroker and search 7mm mauser, on the left hand side a list of categories come up, click the antique and see what's available.

TMT Tactical and lalakai like this.
  4. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
  5. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks................

"Antique German 1893 Rifle - Just recently uncovered from long-term storage, these fine rifles were manufactured in Lowe Berlin, prior to 1898. No FFL required to order these original LONG TOMS in standard 7mm caliber (7x57), still today a sought-after rifle in the proven hard hitting 7mm caliber".

This is the concept I am looking for, I happen to love 7X57 mauser cartridge.

I need a short list of bolt action "Pre"1899 rifles that are chambered for currently available ammo.

randyt likes this.
  6. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    you will probably have to settle for 30-40 krag, 7mm, 8mm, and 303. Any others will probably be obscure. Even 30-40 krag is starting to be considered obsolete, so I hear. Basically any round developed before 1899. There is the 45-70 but any firearm in that round would probably be considered a collectable. I came across a pr98 86 winchester in 45-70, I think they wanted around 1300 bucks.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know a lot about the regulations, for these firearms. I asked on a different forum, and that was a total waste of effort.

My understanding is the actual firearm had to be produced "Pre"-1899.

I just want to invest about $1,500.00 total, and was hoping to get 4 or 5 good condition rifles. The 7X57 and 8X57 would be top choices. But in the end I only want one cartridge.

This is more for trading stock post SHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    yea the firearm does have to be produced pre-1899. I don't think but I don't know for sure that a pre1899 mauser could be converted to lets say a 30-06 and still be considered pre1899.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Who will you trade them to if you live where there are no other humans?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    That would be your best choice.
    There are lots of bullets in 7mm if you want to load for it, and factory ammo is available also.
    With the right projectile it will handle anything in North America.

This guy killed most everything in Africa with that cartridge:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._D._M._Bell

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It is the receiver that must made before 1899. You can rebarrel, restock, change triggers, etc. Some have gone as far as changing a rimfire to a centerfires where the ammo is not available. Midway has some videos on that.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts: