Poisonous berries.

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by SirJoe, Jun 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Keith H. likes this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the information but I don't think I would remember all those poisonous berries. Besides, when you are beset with extreme hunger, the mind does not work normally. What I always bear in mind is the human instinct to determine if the food is edible or not by using the nose. If the berry does not have an odor, press it and smell it again. And if you are not content with using your nose, you can use your tongue by tasting just a little bit so in case it is poisonous then it wouldn't harm you. Poisonous berries generally have an unpleasant odor and taste.

SirJoe likes this.
  3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    These lists are very dependent on your location. You need to be familiar with some of the berries in your area, libraries or people who actually spend time in nature would be good sources of this information. Or some local internet sources. Just keep in mind that with the internet you'll find info from all corners of the world and from thousands of berries that you will never see in your life. :)

Also even more important than recognizing what is poisonos is to recognize what is not. I'd never eat anything I wasn't sure of. (goes for all plants, mushrooms etc)

SirJoe likes this.
  4. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I only stick to the ones I know for sure are ok. I don't experiment. It would be a fascinating study to learn all about the edible plants. It's on my bucket list. It would be quite an undertaking. I know a few but, mostly this is an open field of study for me. You can learn a lot on google. There are books. Our county extension agency teaches the Master Naturalist program, where they study the local plants and animals. I will probably take this course some day in the near future.

SirJoe likes this.
  5. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm definitely bookmarking this link! I've always been very weary about eating berries since I could never remember which ones were okay to eat and which ones could hurt you. When I was younger I remember being told "red and sweet are good to eat" but I don't know how true that actually is so I never tested it out.

SirJoe likes this.
  6. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I treat wild berries like I do mushrooms. Like you I only pick the ones I'm absolutely sure of and I don't take any risks. The last thing that you want is to be stranded somewhere with out any way of getting medical aid.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you know which ones are poisonous then you don't have a problem, if you don't then learn fast!
    prepping is principally about knowledge.

8. Jaydon A.

Jaydon A. New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I will never forget reading about Brian Robeson's bad experience with berries in Gary Paulsen's novel, Hatchet. Ever since then, I am always on the lookout for potentially toxic berries, especially when I am walking my dogs or out camping or hiking.

9. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Best not to try eating berries if you don't know they are poisonous.

A picture in a book could give you an idea of what the poisonous berries look like but in the wild unless you have the book with you it might be hard to tell which ones are poisonous and which ones aren't because I've seen root crops which look exactly alike but one is poisonous and the other isn't. I suppose there are some poisonous berries which look very much like others which are edible.

lonewolf likes this.