Post emp vehicle

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Ian, May 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member
      70/93

Blog Posts:
    Don't know what to post this under but does anyone have any ideas for emp hardened vehicles? Just old school mechanical pre-computer controlled engines?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yep, thems the ones!!
    personally i'm looking at bicycles, ponies and donkey's.:D

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    The computer in my vehicle is hardened against EMP!
    I will cruise nearly as per normal! no music though!

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    EMP will knock out the fuel pumps and the computers in the filling station so it dosent really matter what MOTOR vehicle you've got.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    All my tools are old they will run on shine i make

6. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member
      70/93

Blog Posts:
    Arkane, how is it hardened? Did u do something yourself or is there a vehicle sold that way.? I know pumps won't work but there's a lot of ways to scavenge gas from tanks

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Fuel tanks in ground pair of good bolt cutters and a fuel hand pump or even better a 12 volt pump for fuel and something to pump into you got fuel gas first then kero then diesel got all you need.

8. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member
      70/93

Blog Posts:
    I thought of using an old fish tank pump I had laying around with some rubber tubing and an inverter to run it.... siphon all the gas u want.... just wondering about the vehicle... don't some of the older vehicles use some type of fuel pump that's not electric

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Nope only has outlet for air can get 12volt pump for undeer fifty bucks fuel and water pumps both got mine at tractor supply store both work great old cars before 80 have fuel pump than works off motor yes all mine are this type

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    unless you have some fuel stabiliser lying around, petrol goes "off" at about 6 months and diesel about 12.
    nothing lasts forever, at some point all the fuel supplies will be used up and with no refineries working it'll be "shank's pony" from then on.

11. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I regularly use old fuel both petrol and diesel, sometimes up to five years old!
    Never had any noticeable problems!

An EMP is not some miracle weapon! I have mounted my vehicle engine management computer in a metal box and then another active metal box!
    Having done a electrical trades course and extensive research on electromagnetism I found that a EM pulse is very weak (as per KWper m3) and most anything not connected to a LONG length of conductor, nor has an antenna or uses earth for any part of its circuit is unlikely to suffer!
    That said if you are close enough to fry non earthed or arielled devices you are well and truly in the blast zone and your car or radio working or not matters little as you are deader than dead already!

So to boil it all down anything grid connected will fry via the grid not magic!
    Anything with a long ariel will fry and anything earthed will fry!

No ariel, no earth, no grid NO WORRIES!
    Most vehicles weak spots are radio or mobile phone ariels, so disconnect them!
    Don't let idiots put the fear up you! even most electrical engineers miss one simple point! as an EMP is a pulse on all of the circuitthat effects the whole of a circuit at the same time!
    Without that circuit being grounded the pulse works equally on the whole thing and no current flows, a bit like reversing a battery in a two battery torch!

12. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    First off, older model cars and trucks will still work in spite of EMPs and CMEs. CMEs? CMEs = Coronal Mass Ejections from the sun. They're like an EMP only worse. Back in the late 1800s there was a CME that fried the telegraph systems around the world. Yeah, they're REAL bad.

Cars and trucks which have rotors and spark plugs instead of computer chip control systems will work in spite of any EMPs. Just to be sure, you need to check with a mechanic for the particular model you're thinking about buying to use. Also, some military vehicles had been "hardened" so that they can be used even after an EMP strike. If you can find one of these vehicles, that's a good way to also go. I believe that there is a kit that can be bought and applied to some vehicles to harden them against EMP strikes. For example, if you own a Jeep or Hummer you may be able to purchase a kit for your engine that allows you to harden it from EMP strikes.

Here's a site that will give you some ideas about emp protection and possible older vehicles to look for and buy: http://www.survivopedia.com/best-emp-bug-out-vehicles/

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    forget about vehicles, an Emp will fry the computer in the filling stations so the pumps wont work, sure you might be able to syphon some fuel from the tanks but that's it once the tank is empty, there wont be any fresh deliveries of fuel once that it gone. so your probably only delaying in inevitable.

14. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Yes delaying is the go!
    I carry an electric syphon pump and hose, it will suck from 3m but it is a lousey 3l per minute!
    Looking to upgrade soon!
    Just open the filler cap drop hose into fuel and pump!
    I will ALWAYS pump any fuel from anywhere sus into a testing drum first and run it through a glass fuel filter first!

I have suffered from crap fuel a few times and it costs just sooo much to fix! usually rural places I class as suspect now and every place will be sus after!

Fuel can be made so if I am not constantly mobile I can make enough acceptable fuel for my needs! I see no reason to walk when I can drive if it is safe enough!

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    suit yourself.
    its not just fuel, what about oil, antifreeze, greases?
    what about tyres? how do you put a new tyre on a rim without having a power tyre remover?
    what about bulbs, spare parts?
    there is only a finite amount(of anything) we can all store and a finite amount of stuff that will be lying about, once that's all used up we will ALL be walking, on that you can lay bets.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  16. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    So long as I can make fuel the rest can be salvaged!
    Hell there will be millions of vehicles to choose from so long as I can make fuel!

A new tyre well there are several options!
    I can drive to a tyre place and using my inverter I can run whatever equipment I need to fit whatever tyres they have!
    I could even power up the till just to ring up a "NO SALE" if I chose!
    I can do it anywhere with a few G clamps!
    or I could just dump the vehicle and refuel another!

I am a problem solver not a problem maker!
    It is all so easy if you apply just a little grey matter!
    unless one hides in the bush somewhere scared of there own shadow a good life can be had just by getting up and doing!

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    oh well, "none so blind as those who cannot see" or don't want to listen, grave yards will be full of such people.

18. Para173

95/99

Blog Posts:
    Okay, if the pumps' chips get fried in the gas stations, carry a hand pump or some kind of other manually operated pump. All you do is open up the ground caps, you will probably need a pry bar or bolt cutter to get off the lock, and drop down a long tube into the underground storage tank. Once the tube is into the thousands of gallons of gasoline, you start hand-pumping the fuel up to your fuel cans and vehicles. That's how they used to do it many years ago before they had electrically operated pumps.

You have heard of hand pumps, right?

Also, the website I posted suggested going with a diesel engine for a vehicle. Why? Because diesel, and some multi-fuel engines, can use different fuels. In fact some of these engines will run off of alcohol. Alcohol is a fuel that you can grow in plants and then make through distilling. Imagine that! So all you have to do is think ahead and you'll be the only kid on your block with a working vehicle long after everybody else is walking. Now, the truth is also that unless you know a lot about mechanics, sooner or later even your diesel/multi-fuel engine will break down and you may have trouble fixing it. Can you fix it and keep it running? That is up to you.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think trying to maintain a 21st century lifestyle or even a 20th century one might be possible for a short while post emp or post whatever event, but at some stage all the stocks of whatever it is are going to be used up. it obviously depends on the survival rate, as I've said elsewhere the more survivors there are the quicker any spare parts-for anything not just vehicles- will get used up. what do you do then?
    also, wandering about just HOPING to find the things that we might think we need may be unsafe, unwise and downright dangerous to ones health, it is also time consuming when 1001 other things need to be done.
    if we think we actually need something wouldn't it be better to obtain that thing now and keep it in our stores? or failing that learn to live without it.
    i am continually -on a weekly basis- increasing my stock of hand tools, i do this now whilst i know i can find them, rather than leaving it post event and hoping to find them in the chaos that will follow.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  20. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    A lot depends on your expectations and the knowledge you have!

I expect that many people will just abandon there stuff as soon as someone else is no longer supplying the power!
    I can supply my own so I will!

That's the trade off! everything you have and use is supplied by someone else so most will do without!
    I can and have at times supplied everything myself so I will again!

Just thinking it is all too hard and doing without is a rather defeatist attitude!
    Most of the 20th century is relatively easy to maintain/produce! well the first half anyway!

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you can do that, it makes sense to do that until such time as you no longer can.
    i have always said "use what is available to get to a point in time where you can live without it", either because all the stocks are gone or because you cannot repair it or make new ones yourself.
    I, however, will be living a more basic lifestyle, similar to that "tales from the Green Valley" i remarked about before, as i believe this will, for me, be sustainable given my location and knowledge, whereas a machine orientated lifestyle will not be-for me.

22. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Each to there own!
    My grandies will be learning and playing on there computers, watching movies and documentaries way past my use by date!
    Yes they will have access to all the knowledge I have stored! they will know how to solve problems and it will fall to them to make it happen!

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "never put all your eggs in one basket"!! i don't have all my info on computer and no where else, technology could fail when we least expect it.
    i have much of my information in hard backed paper files and in books, i also have some stored on memory sticks.

24. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Me too!

25. Para173

95/99

Blog Posts:
    Let's say that we do get hit with a massive CME or a series of EMPs, we've come too far in our societies to go backwards for long. Sure, for a while we will be hurting but you can bet that somewhere out there every government is prepared to slowly return us to normal. Why? Because if the government isn't ready to get back to full functioning, that nation will be ready to be plucked by a foreign or next door neighbor. Let's say that a huge CME hits our planet. Nobody's fault but all the microchips are fried. Cars, trucks and so on don't work. It takes about two years for Britain, Canada and the U.S. to return to near normal. But before we get near the return to almost normal, that's when we will be doing the survival thing. Same thing for private businesses too. I would bet a month's pay that they also have working on disaster scenarios and what to do as well. So a complete meltdown isn't going to happen unless we get nuked really, really bad. If that happens, then atmosphere will be too hot to breathe any way and we won't have to worry about food, water or how to get around at all.

26. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    That's for suckers in the northern hemisphere !;)
    This here is the lucky country for many reasons!:)

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    apart from nukes, everything else is survivable, for those with skills and knowledge, a reduction in the population would be a good thing anyway.