Potus Allows A New Coal Mine

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Feb 7, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ah-national-parks-energy-development-drilling

Good morning all,

Per ...

Not actually a new mine; area now available for development.

It's a trade-off. Opening the national landmark to coal mining creates some pollution ... the coal is,however, low sulfur type ... but produces some jobs and revenue. The alternate, the status quo, produces more homeless in the cities.

POTUS Clinton created the Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument to place it's low sulfur coal prohibited from commercial mining development. This allowed the Lippo Group to have a near monopoly of clean coal (low sulfur) for world sales from their Kalimantan Island, Indonesia mine. Clinton didn't do this to demonstrate his benevolence. It involved the US "Clean Air Act". I can explain all this but don't want to do all the typing now. If we can meet for lunch at Charlie Trie's restaurant in Little Rock, Arkansas, I'll ramble in clear sentences.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    no coal mines here any more, it was cheaper to import, now the UK is going for all electric.
    coal is too polluting, we have someone around here burning coal in a multi fuel stove and our window sills are all black with the soot- we have white windows so it shows clearly.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Lonewolf, What does the UK use to generate it's electric?

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_coal_fired_power_stations_in_the_United_Kingdom

What are they replacing these with?

Personally I have lived near coal-powered plants for years and NEVER EVER seen any soot on anything and I had white trucks. The pollution from a sweet coal-burning plant is about the same as one that burns natural gas or even wood if there was such a thing. In all cases nowadays about the only escaping pollutant isn't really pollution. Fire is what you get when you oxidize carbon and all coal, natural gas, oil and wood are is carbon. If carbon dioxide is pollution then all living things are polluting the environment. We breathe in oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide.

The thing that people need to understand is that if we are going to stop using carbon-based heat to generate power then we are going to have to either go nuclear or face some ugly realities. If there is less power available the first to suffer are going to be people in rural areas. Those wires you see are not superconductors. It takes more power at the station to power home scattered out in the country than to power up highrise apartments and close urban neighborhoods. If cuts have to be made guess where those cuts will be. Where I live they have dammed every river and we get a lot of our power from hydroelectric but there are no rivers left to build dams on. That said if we had to depend on only hydroelectric power we would be in trouble.

If the current changes keep going it won't be long before places like California and Great Brittian will begin to consider rural living as wasteful, antisocial and not acceptable behavior. That's fine, I can live without power from that. Unfortunately, the same people that will consider it wasteful to power rural places will decide that it is wasteful of fuel to come and go. There have already been whispers about a penalty tax on people that are antisocial and live out in the country that are not farmers or ranchers. This is already true of property taxes here but are not yet applied to individual income tax rates.

Places, where the government has disarmed its citizens, will eventually move them into the urban piles where they can be "protected" from their bad antisocial and wasteful lifestyle decisions.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TexDanm,

Don't know about the last couple of years, but only a few years ago, the UK's - and EU's continental members were "replacing" coal ... with WOOD. The EU officially called wood "biomass" and it was also officially deemed a "renewable". Again, I don't know about the last most recent couple of years.

Eastern England's Tilbury was converted to wood fuel. Believe there was some sort of scandal involving this place.

I'm not sure if it was only the UK or also major members of the EU, but solar and wind turbines produced no more power than the biomass (wood pellets) electric production also used.

All these schemes created by the EU intellectuals don't work, at least not yet. When developed, it's a different matter. Today, the technology is not available for the actual requirements.

Some political schools of thought say that expediting the new electric generation technologies, concurrent with closing down nucular and the North Sea oil fields really forced Germany and a couple of other EU members to be forced to obtain gas from Russia.....and this is what's going on today.

In the US, the MAIN factor regarding electricity is debt reduction. You already explained that rural electricity costs more than urban electricity. Not just farmers and ranchers (small dairy farms are closing at a fast rate) but those workers deemed important ... Think of Glen Cambell "I am a lineman for the county" ... will be accommodated in rural areas if young and healthy with the mobility in case of evacuation requirements.

I'm in a rural area near a tidal flood plan - as the maps have the place zoned; the entire area is a flood plain just like Houston well inland. The relocation factors are already underway and after this upcoming hurricane season, replacement for damaged structures will show a population relocation.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think there are a couple of diesel powered ones but these are being phased out, most of our electric is generated by nuclear a large portion is now powered by wind and solar farms, we don't have enough power stations in the UK, there is only one new one being built as we speak and that wont be ready until 2026.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    By Texdanm,

Under the Obama Administration the Yorktown Coal power generating station was closed and so remains to this day.

I had to laugh at all the pollution talk about this and other power generating stations for I know people who lived close to it and every year their Azalea bushes sprouted in beautiful colours ...brightly.....wonderfully.

I often fished near there and had no soot problems.

Wow!!! Remember what I keep saying about "Herding"….well there you go.

You have to be educated to become so stupid you feel the need to regulate and control/herd peoples liberties to make them social...according to someone else's beliefs or religion...the political religion of social/herding.

Only education can dumb people down sufficient to make them think they are entitled above someone else's freedom and liberty to want to be alone. Classic rabid stupidity run amok with devout religious zeal. And these people are leaders????

Ishmaelites run amok.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in coal country and many in my family have worked in the industry. Modern coal fired power plants produce only CO2 and steam. NO SOOT or other solid emissions. The filtering process allows no solids through. My home state of West Virginia also has hydroelectric (Have a dam less than 5 miles from my house, that I get 0 electricity from) as well as wind farms.

Given what I've seen in my lifetime of nuclear power. I'll stick with the coal. Many of the wind farms are causing more problems with the environment and ecology of the areas there built in, than they are helping. Many birds (especially migrating species) are killed by the blades.

I'm still hopeful for cold fusion or large scale geothermal.

Has anyone heard more on gravity generated electricity?

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I guess you could call turbines from tidal currents "gravity-generated" given the gravitational attraction of the Earth-Moon system, but I don't think that's what you mean. That's the only one I know of.

From what I hear, coal plants and mining operations here in the United States are shutting down, despite recent efforts to increase production. I'm not sure whether these closures and/or bankruptcies are due to over-regulation or the inability to compete with other forms of energy production.

Here in Idaho, we seem to have more power coming from wind power (at least in the Eastern Snake River Plain) and hydroelectric turbines. About 80% of our power comes from renewables; about 60 percent of that is hydro, with most of the rest being wind (~25%) and PV (~15%).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Mining operations in America are being damaged due to lack of energy demand due to the sending of industry oversees.

When China's economy was doing well, they were building one coal-fired electric generating plant every two weeks. Now, China's economy is slowing. The world's economy is slowing. Pumping fake money will not cure this. Debt burden is killing everything.

Places like Idaho can get by with alternative sources of energy due to its small population and small industrial output. Agriculture trumps industry in several states -- cash crops & low population is the norm in such places. Industry requires POWER. At this point in history, only nuclear power could replace coal and natural gas. Solar power and wind power would be little blips of energy in an industrial area or in an area with high population concentrations. "Alternate energy" coming to the rescue is pie-in-the-sky adolescent dreaming.

upload_2020-2-9_21-16-13.png

11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

Just when I was getting ready to scribble some comments re the Dr Chekov material, I saw the above map.

Still ROFL. Virginia = Vietnam !

At least Vietnam will get absorbed into China. Virginia is now a Metternick "geographical expression". The Northern Virginia Autonomous Oblast is already part of Washington, D.C. Hampton Roads is a large military base and Richmond is our Austin, Texas.

TMT Tactical likes this.