Potus Declares National Emergency Re Grid Aspects

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, May 3, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have been saying something similar about the UK power system for years, the UK power grid is mostly run by EDF a French state owned company with some Chinese investors.

3. Praevians

Praevians New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    "The bulk-power system is a target of those seeking to commit malicious acts against the United States and its people, including malicious cyber activities ..."
    a. late in the game. Why wasn't done years ago?
    b. what would be the point in making public that you now secure it? Just do it.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Strep in the right direction, but the hardening of the electrical grid from a CME or EMP is also vitally important.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:

Nothing is done without approval, etc. In this case by executive order.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Praevians,

In reply to "b."; Because an election is in 6 months.

In reply to "a."; US critical infrastructure grid had been hardened for years now. The above declaration by Trump is for the basic grid.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  7. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:

Pragmatist,

I've noticed across this state of Virginia...in certain areas there have been put up ….huge..and I mean huge solar panel farms....and this is not a penny ante project..but involving millions and millions of dollars..in monies and thus planning.
    You can see some of them from Google Earth.

And I am told that there are several of them in this state. This is all new information to me in the last year....I was totally unaware of it.

I am wondering if this has also been done in other states as well....as part of a bigger plan.. in self sufficiency and or Emergency back up???

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Watcherchris,

I believe both.

Dominion Energy is a lead organization in the solar panels and also the offshore windmills.

Not familiar with the other states other than to say the SSBN support systems here get priority in the national scheme.

9. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Pragmatist...I did not know that information about Dominion Energy.

Watcherchris,
    NOt an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. BSHJ

BSHJ Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about electricity or electronics but just seems that both solar and wind farms would be highly susceptible to CME or EMP events....or is that just a false assumption?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon BSHJ,

Ditto here; I don't know electric / electronics.

I've got some basics on Cold War warfare and am comfortable saying you're right re EMT events.

Yet, this, in practical terms, means a nuclear attack. No terrorist org can do this; only a couple of Great Powers.

Solar and offshore wind farms are an extra layer of power. If they last X amount of extra time, this saves the time the real hardened grid for the critical infrastructure needs to be activated.

For Navy Norfolk, funding is available. Once "perfected", the technology can be deployed elsewhere.

I'm less worried about nuclear warfare than my worries about some Governors.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My understanding is that there is little to nothing they can do to secure or harden the whole grid. That it is simply too prehistoric. But they can (with a massive amount of money) "Mitigate" the cascade effect, with improved gates and switches. And while clearly not perfect, it could help limit or capture the destruction.

The CME is easy because you have roughly 36 hours warning. To me mitigating the hacking of the grid (covertly) would be a 26 hour a day laborious endeavor.

Here is a somewhat related thing to think about. We hear talk of rebellion or revolution, but if that starts in one area, all they have to do is shut down the power in that area, and many will rat out all the perpetrators.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  13. BSHJ

BSHJ Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="I'm less worried about nuclear warfare than my worries about some Governors.[/QUOTE]

Boy you hit the nail on the head with that line.......I couldn't agree more and have to admit, I want to 'steal' that line and repeat it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hydroelectric power adds something to the grid. It helps. It is however tragically insufficient. Same with solar and wind power generation. To say that they are inadequate is the understatement of the century.

The amount of energy we use weekly in the USA is the equivalent of multiple nuclear bombs going off. We literally burn mountains-worth of coal. Every day, hundreds of coal trains each a mile long deliver their mind-numbingly massive loads to power plants. We have 9700+ coal-fired power plants here in America. Many facilities are switching to the cleaner natural gas. Hurrah! Much cleaner that. However, using natural gas is also the burning of fossil fuels.

It hurts to say this, but France went smart. France has gone nuclear. To go nuclear is the ONLY option for the U.S..

As to an executive order mandating that power grid infrastructure be hardened against computer hacking, it is high time that we do so. Chinese engineering students return to their countries to provide information to their communist military as to America's infrastructure vulnerabilities. American Universities know that they are aiding and abetting our enemies, but that is just fine with the collectivists who run these schools. Given today's actions of university professors and members of university administration proves that the infamous legacy of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg stands unabated. Witness treason in its most vile form.

upload_2020-5-3_14-40-30.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    There is a large and significant problem in America with commercial nuclear power plants...

And No one is talking about it and I don't believe someone wants people to know...it is there.

That problem is the in site water pool accumulation of spent nuclear fuel rods at many commercial electricity generating plants.

This appears to be a rule or law prohibiting the recycling or moving of many of these fuel rods and they sit in large pools for years and years...when they should be transported to a facility which can properly dispose of them as do the French.

These pools containing these spent fuel rods are an accident or terrorist incident waiting to happen....but some brain years ago mandated that they stay there so long before being moved.
    There are containers specially designed to move and or transport such spent fuel rods across country....I have seen them.

These pools need to be emptied of olde spent fuel rods...in commercial electricity generating nuclear power plants..

Ishmaelites run wild...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

16. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    You can recycle the spent fuel as what France does. But it's very costly to do so. The most geologically studied mountain in the world in Nevada called Yucca mountain is where this stuff was supposed to go, but Nevada has a 'not in my backyard' mentality. Yes, I have seen these large boob-like looking casks that are for the nuclear storage. When I was a fire fighter explorer I witnessed a drill if one were to leak, etc. Very unlikely though. I heard these things were meant to withstand a train hitting them, etc.

Also, because of a few nuclear incidents politicians and wary of building a nuclear power plant. Plus there's an awful lot of red tape and the cost is enormous. Though, I've read that third generation nuke plants are much safer.

17. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning F22,

Is the entire life cycle of commercial nuclear fuel more than the entire life cycle of the fossil fuels ? This is the required comparison.

South of me, at Hampton Roads, there is the greatest concentration of nuclear reactors: the USN vessels. So far, the biggest health hazard is vehicle mishaps on the roads.

A favorite bumper sticker of mine: "More People Died In Ted Kennedy's Car Than At Three Mile Island".

18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Power grid in the news. This time solar, UK.

Having one's own means of generating electricity or being able to do without electricity is a topmost item on a prepper's list of needs. Non-preppers imagine that "somebody else" is going to "do something." To be honest, it gives me a giggle when the marshmallow people get reminded that their world is frighteningly fragile. In this instance, seems Gaia needs to be getting more beans into Her diet. She's leaving people in the doldrums, don't'cha'know.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/uk-grid-warns-electricity-shortage-due-drop-wind

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    TBH its nothing new, most of Britain's electricity is supplied by EDF which is a French owned company which shows how fragile our power supply is, our electricity supply is the weak point in any infrastructure, we have nearly run out of power for the last 3 winters when demand nearly outstripped supply, collapse was avoided by buying extra from France, I dont think that will be possible after 31st December 2020.
    we certainly dont have enough power stations and now the govt wants us all to drive electric cars? they dont seem to know where the extra power is coming from.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    by Olde Geezer...

Exactly correct Olde Geezer....Exactly correct..and for some ...even entitled...

After a hurricane years ago...and when the power was down for over a week in most places...

My friend across the river started his 6500 watt generator and ran an extension chord over his fence to his neighbor in addition to his house.

After awhile he noted his generator was extensively loading up...

Going outside to check he noted that someone else had run a line to his generator and did not even ask. The line ran some four houses down the road....

He quickly disconnected them and threw the line over the fence..

I would have done the same.

And his wife was more interested in running the AC than preserving their frozen and refrigerated foods. Go figure..

But it shows and or illustrates how much many people take their lifestyles for granted without being aware what keeps them going in such comfort and ease.

I often state ...that so many can prepare for tonight's movie or game on the television but not long term preps..

Ishmaelites gone wild...

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I had to laugh one time, there was a power cut in the south east of England, and some guy was interviewed on tv, he said "its like living in the middle ages", the power had only been off for a couple of hours and was restored within a couple more but it just goes to show the attitude of many in this country, BTW I grew up with power cuts its nothing new.

22. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    “This should not have happened,” he told reporters, “and we need to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
    NYC mayor De Blasio

This over a power outage that lasted only a few hours. Without electricity, the urbanites lose emotional control. And guess what, they bleat that government isn't doing enough. They will not consider life's inevitable downfalls as entities that they themselves should address. This sort of thinking is fatal thinking. Maybe in the next 12 months, we will learn more about non-prepping as a life-style; or should I say, death-style.

Me, I want Gaia to turn off the power to NYC for a couple of months. Wouldn't that be an interesting psychology/sociology experiment!

Speaking of finger-pointing, CNN (the gods of deciding what is right and wrong within the greater universe) got into the fray:
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/14/politics/bill-de-blasio-iowa-new-york-city-power-outage/index.html

Of course, the CNN gods focused on what government should do for the sheeple.

Here's a photo of De Blasio helping his voters cross a NYC street:

upload_2020-10-16_10-45-26.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I trust politicians over voters. Voters always waste their one and only fought and bleed for vote while a politician gets to vote all the time...

A little over 800 years of Magna Carta and this crap. Is it any wonder?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    whats Magna Carta to an American? I doubt many have even heard of it or know what it is.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Well, I was born in Illinois (Land Of Lincoln) and thereby a full blooded American if there was one, and by me just posting it and how old it is should give you just a slight clue that only Sherlock would be jealous over that I for a fact DO know what the Magna Carta is and how it was IN FACT used in part to help shape our Constitution among other things.

The chief difference between the Magna Carta (an 800 year old piece of parchment) and the U.S. Constitution is that one was copied to an extant the world over...

In summary, it's really not a true frame work at all from my Yankee perspective. LOL

You're right on one account though. People here are vastly myopic and low IQ and most wouldn't even know what it is. But do Canadians or Mexicans, or people that live in Madagascar? They probably could all care less.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    well the English parliamentry system was the blueprint for most nations around the world, its the most copied system there is, excluding those that use the communist system.
    its referred to as "the mother of all parliaments" and goes back centuries, long before most places were even countries.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    To me, anything that divides government against its own self is sacred.

Maybe one day, medical science will get cancers to eat themselves.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:

Off topic, but I think there's been a cure for a very long time. May be conspiracy of me to say this, but I do know that when I have ideas and what not, it's often that these ideas have been made or thought of before I do eventually by someone else or a company. Example one was when I had an idea to clone antibodies for COVID-19 and now I learn that is being done and in fact Trump took that cocktail and bounced back rather quickly. So what I'm saying here is that with my vast understanding of a TON of things and my inventive mind, I know damn well about two things here:

1) Big Pharm makes billions and like the oil cartel intends on keeping those billions flowing in.

2) Those billions are generated by therapeutics and not the "cure." In fact, it seems therapeutics are being talked about more than a vaccine. Stop the virus and you can't control a populace and stand to lose money. Just ask that utter joker face BITCH! in Michigan.

I can also tell you that holistic approaches are often met with bullets. Even scientists that find things big Pharma doesn't want released are threatened or taken out like a Clinton victim that suddenly committed "suicide" from a bullet to the back of the head.

I can also tell you that truth is often stranger than fiction. In one case, archaeologists have to sign an NDA and the shit that is found is carted off to where ever hidden from public eye. How do I know this? Because a friend of mine is an archaeologist.

Anyway... there's a black van that just pulled up and I have to arm the RDX withen the house. LOL! ^^

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Wind Turbines are all over the UK now, in parts of Wales and north England you have windfarms with hundreds of the bloody things and they don't work half the time.

Cut the BS and build nuke power stations.

30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    nuclear power stations take too long to build, look at Hinkley C , it wont be online until 2026.
    wind turbines and solar farms take much shorter time to be built, and the one thing we do have in Britain is plenty of wind, especially off shore, and they can be taken down just as quickly,
    I dont trust anything nuclear, power stations or weapons, just an accident waiting to happen.
    and the clean up costs when they shut one down are astronomical to say nothing of the environmental costs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

This is true of windfarms..

For some reason they are not well maintained. This is so at South Point on the biggest Island of Hawaii....very windy...and there is a windfarm there with most of the mills broke and not turning. They are in the process of dismantling them..

This can clearly be seen on South Point Road on Google Earth..or Google Maps.

For one thing...you need maintenance people in good health and willing to climb up to those heights to do maintenance as well as companies to provide the parts for them. As well as all of that the proper support equipment to do such as change blades etc etc.

Also I do not believe that wind power can provide sufficient electricity for certain demands of a lot of people and cities.

Around here there are more and more solar farms going up....and can be seen from the satellite again on Google Earth and Google Maps. Not sure where this electricity is going and to whom or what...but they are very very large solar farms out in formerly farmed fields.

Nuclear is very very expensive to start up and even maintain....highly regulated..again meaning expensive ..and the people working there need more than average training.,.again expensive..

And there is the disposal problem.

I've been in a number of reactors..and am familiar with handling this stuff...giving me an Idea of the expense...

Trained and got the Tee Shirt...et al.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:

There they be.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good evening F22,

Very good.

Wondering the circumstances how and why Rudy Diesel passed away enroute to UK.

I'll never know.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Anybody with kids who have juvenile diabetes come to hate the pharmaceutical companies. The pharm folks will give you a meter, but the test strips are the expensive thing you need to buy ... from them. There are diabetic machines that can be implanted, but one must buy the insulin to inject into the devices. On and on.

Islet cells of Langerhans -- pancreatic cells that elaborate insulin -- can be implanted. Over 25 years ago met a fellow who had had this procedure. Back then the cells were implanted into the greater omentum. These were human cells transplanted. Pig islet cell could be implanted and anti-rejection drugs given. But, here's the kicker, non-human cells can be covered in biologic sheaths such that our immune system cannot "see" the cells and attack them. This research has been going on forever. Why haven't the big companies gone MEGA-aggressive on this research? We all know why. They could lose Billions of dollars were diabetes cured.

https://blog.thediabetessite.greatergood.com/new-insulin-implant/

The above crew got an ADA grant of $10,000. Millions of dollars should be invested in their research. However that's not going to happen, now is it!

In a socialist system, the weak get written-off. In capitalism, the oligarch's buy legislators to pass bills to protect their deity status. The Microsoft, Amazon, Google gods want big government to chain the people. These wanna-be gods do not fiddle with "little matters".

What is absent? The nation has turned away from anything that is spiritual, anything that makes people answerable to a Higher Power ... other than god government. The Official Religion is the atheistic worship of the material world (matter exists, matter exists absulutely, nothing exists beyond that which we can sense and that can replicated in a lab). The mantra is, "Be born, live a while, satiate your physical desires for as long as you live, then die and become worm food." Add, "You are not an individual; you are a member of a collective; drugs and sex, you get those, but you exist to better the collective." If you get old, some medical folk gather together and decide if your life counts. Diabetes? That's just how it goes; your social worker and pharmacists will deal with it ... until you are no longer a benefit to the collective. Diabetics in Russia got insulin; if they died, they died -- and the diabetics re-used their syringes.

When souls no longer have faith in Divinity and in their own eternal evolution, then society and Order itself is lost. I think it has come time for the Eternal Farmer to burn His fields and replant. All of the Prophets of the world's religions spoke of the "end time", the time of Judgement and destruction. We are living within those times right now. It is only going to get worse and worse until souls return to their purpose of Worship, Prayer, and Eternal Evolution. However many people need to be scraped or burned off the Earth to leave those who can meet the Muster will be destroyed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Doesn't matter how long they take to build if the planning is put in place its all down to government commitment.

On an outdoor forum one of the members maintains wind turbines and spent so much time in Wales fixing them he ended up moving there. Hydro electric works, nuclear works, turbines and solar are just not consistent.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:

Case in point: https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2016/12/01/mylan-ceo-responsibility-epipen-price/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Meanwhile, everyday there seems to be a new advert for a pill I should take, and everyday on the TV, each commercial break has a new pill telling me I should take this, but not to take this if I'm allergic to this, and that side effects may include the overwhelming desire for me to want to sniff my carpet and up to and including death.

Then about a year latter some law firm called Peevish & Puke advertises that if I took this pill and now have an overwhelming desire to sniff my carpet that I should call them at 555-we-screw-you and they'll somehow get me the money I deserve. No, at this rate I'd rather have stock options...

Food for thought. https://apnews.com/press-release/pr-businesswire/69b0ce5abc374f6fac42074e6058f876

Yum, tort...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

For you metric folk, these temps are well below freezing -- 10 deg F is negative 12 deg C (-12 C).

"Update (1234 ET): ERCOT officials have promised to restore some power generation today, but according to PowerOutage.US, around 1221 ET, there are more than 4.423 million customers without electricity in the state. That's up 100k since 0900 ET."

I believe that true Texans, true American Texans, will get through power-grid shut-downs without major problems.

Weak sheeple who have invaded Texas from Amerikan states will likely do rather poorly ... such as this guy trying to survive in his truck:

https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/4...t-power-amid-grid-collapse-second-storm-nears

"Collin County resident Clint Cash has had no power in North Texas for a couple of days. He said his house went dark Sunday, which was when he decided to bundle up and sit in his parked car with the heater on full blast.

"Isha Elhence, a Dallas resident who lost power around 2 a.m. Monday, was quoted by Bloomberg as saying, 'We lost power around 2 a.m. Monday. It was only supposed to be for one to two hours, which seemed manageable... Now it's kind of indefinite with no updates, so we're unsure of what we're supposed to be doing.'"

Here's an idea Collin and Isha, get your sh## together or die. There is this phenomenon called "forethought". I don't know if you've heard about it or not, but it comes in handy. Looks to me like you are going to go Darwin blue. Before you lose muscle control and drift into the Big Sleep, do please take some selfies and share on the web -- I'm thinking your phone may stay charged longer than you.

upload_2021-2-16_12-31-36.png .

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish that is was New York City having to go without electricity for days -- not Texas.

Actually, I'd like to see NYC go without power for a couple of months. We'd get to see how "community organizers" would handle the situation. I'm sure that they would join together as a community and do just fine, sing Kumbaya, make the whole "We're in this together" thingy happen.

TMT Tactical and BSHJ like this.
  40. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Lonewolf....a question for you...

Some years back..I got to snooping around on Google EArth...and found out that way up north in the UK...there are some islands...Shetlands ...I think is the name.

Now what I saw on Google Earth is a large wind farm for generating electricity.

Now down here of late in Texas...someone appears not to have factored in ice in the constructions of these wind farms..

I do not here of this happening in other nations or for example up there in the Shetlands where these very Northern windfarms were located.

Is this a correct assumption that very bad weather has little effect on those windfarms up on those Islands...that the weather has been factored into the construction and operation.

I spent a year in Keflavik, Iceland so I have an idea how brutal the weather can get up in the northern latitudes.

Hence my question.

I am thinking that someone down in Texas dropped the ball on this in construction and maintenance as to how bad or extreme the weather can get.

There are times in the winter wherein the weather coming down from Canada can get extreme...and I just am astonished that someone seems not to have taken this into account.

Do these kinds of problems happen way up in the north of the UK at those windfarms???

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  41. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes we Canadians know the magna carta, we studied British and world history .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. BSHJ

BSHJ Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    How does one charge up their electric car when the power is out.....solar panels? hand-crank?

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  43. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    in 1998 Montreal went thru a ice storm. We all muddled through it as the brits would say. My house went will out electricity for two weeks and i continued to work . this was in January. All in all we adapted , Some towns went 4 weeks with out power .

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ice-storm-1998-1.4469977

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a lot of these wind farms have to shut down when the wind is too strong or it will shake the blades to bits, dont know about Shetland but I think cold and ice would affect them like it does everything else.
    as for electric cars they only seem to have charging points in the large urban centres over here so would be useless for a rural area like this as there are no charging points.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Re: Shetland Islands. Temperature rarely drops below freezing and you only get snow up on the high points. A massive offshore wind farm is in the offing, one of the biggest in the world and its going to hit the local fishing industry.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The problem with the wind generators in West Texas is simple. Some pencil pusher, trying to cut costs on those multi-million dollar wind turbines decided that $5000.00 heaters were not necessary!!!

PS: It may be a century before these type of temperatures hit Texas again.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  47. arctic bill

360/460

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if after this Texas thing is over, that a lot of residents of Texas will realize that they were helplessly under prepared, and therefore we will get a whole bunch of new peppers wanting to learn?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  48. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Doubtful. The sheeple will consider this a "one in a Lifetime" event and go back to being blissfully ignorant.

49. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is the sort of thing that happens every five generations or one hundred+ years so I don't think that after a few years many people are going to be prepared for this. We get hit with hurricanes on a pretty regular basis and there are always thousands of people that have no food and no way to heat it if they did.

This was a mess of unimaginable proportions. How many of you that live in the North have 6 tons of air-conditioning. That is what you will need if you ever have a serious Texas style summer. Try 115 for a week and how many will die of heat stroke in their homes. That would be unimaginable there and equally disastrous.

I am going to upgrade my protable heater to a bigger one but there is no way in hell that I am going to invest in a heating system designed to handle this sort of thing. It doesn't matter what you have when the power goes off anyway.

The power was more about greed and allowing low-bid to be your building method. The generators in the windmills had no heaters. It saved them $5000.00 per windmill. the grease got thick and they just slowed down and stopped. Once again this was an unimaginable cold front but they should have had the heaters anyway.

They represent about 20% of the grid and when they fell out it threw an overload on the rest of the system. They shutdown and then brought it back up slowly and in parts. Until yesterday we were prone to having the power cut off if the grid started to overload. They tried to do this in sections and not the entire grid. Had the entire grid crashed it would have been a MAJOR disaster and getting it back up might have taken a month or longer in some places. That has happened after a couple of hurricanes and some people were without power for 6 weeks to two months.

Fun times....

50. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    TexDanm, that thing about it being once in a hundred years or once every five generations is what we used to say about storms and flooding over here in the UK, it then became once every five years...now it's normal.
    I live up in the hills so I'm uneffected but the nearest town to me is in a valley and floods several times a year. I remember wondering why anyone would build a town in such a dumb place....it used to flood maybe once every 50 years, now it's several times a year.
    There is a hotel near me that has had the access road washed out last year....the first time it's happened since it was built in 1890.
    Whatever is causing them these once in a lifetime weather events are becoming all too common.