Powder Horns.

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags, and Other Craftsmanship' started by Keith H., Jun 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A powder horn is used to carry gunpowder for the immediate use in your muzzle-loading gun. It hangs by your side from a strap over your shoulder.
    If you are making your own powder horn, the most important thing to remember is, NEVER secure the base plug with glue!!! Only ever use beeswax to seal the base plug & secure it with 4-6 small metal or wood pins. The reason for this is that the base plug acts as a safety valve in case your powder horn should explode. With normal care this is unlikely to happen, but if it did, then the base plug would blow out & the explosion would be expended away from the body.
    These are some of my powder horns. Normally I only carry one, & extra gunpowder is carried in my knapsack in leather gunpowder wallets. But I can carry more than one horn, or these horns can be carried by other family members for use in other Black Powder guns that I have.
    [​IMG]
    This was the first powder horn I made. I was of course off grid & the only tools I had to make this with was a hand drill & bit & a round metal file, & a hacksaw. The base I covered in leather & bound with waxed cordage.

[​IMG]
    The second horn I made. After this I started making fancy powder horns for sale & also made many other horn products.

[​IMG]
    This horn was left to me by a close Friend.

[​IMG]
    This is the horn I use now, not too fancy, I do not like flashy stuff. My wife loom wove the strap.

[​IMG]
    Handmade brass staple to secure the carry strap.

[​IMG]
    A little bit of carving showing the colour of this horn under the surface. All done by hand, & polished in the traditional way with sheep fleece & wood ashes.
    Keith.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Koala likes this.
  2. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Nice horn.
    I have one but not as nice as yourn.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    @Keith H
    This may sound like a stupid question but why a horn instead of a leather pouch as u keep ur extra power in leather wallets in ur knapsack
    I hav no real experience with firearms and only used horn to make glue or bowls and if a nice big one then for drinking mead

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Moisture

Mr Boots and Keith H. like this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Easier to carry under your arm, & easier to pour from. Also as Bishop said, better for keeping your powder dry. The leather gunpowder wallet is carried in the knapsack, & it too has been oiled. When the powder horn needs filling you fill it from the gunpowder bag.
    Keith.

Mr Boots likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've kept my maternal grandfather's powder horn. As a young man (way past poor he was) all he had was a muzzle-loading .32 percussion cap rifle. I appreciate today's finer-than-fine rifles because my kin didn't have diddly. The powder horn is a reminder to be thankful for all that I have (food firearms fuel) and to keep my departed kin in my prayers (don't know when you'll need them prayin for you).

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    There are many tales of people in your country digging out their ancestors old muzzle-loader to keep their families fed in the great depression. Modern ammunition was hard to come by & cost a small fortune.
    Keith.

8. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I had a old 36 Cal Flint lock but I give it to a young boy that did not have a way to hunt and was really wanting to hunt with black powder so I gave him the Flint lock and a 36 Cal mould and the hunters frock that I am wearing in the picture the boy now a young man still uses that Flint lock

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Full marks mate! I bet you got just as much out of the giving as he did in receiving. A very satisfying outcome LyR-7j679eqWepzVjGSwK-5pf__ZEkoE.png
    Keith.

10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the USA, muzzle loading weapons do not have any paperwork associated with them. If one wishes to stay off the Big Brother paperwork grid, he or she can go buy a cap'n'ball revolver. They are a trouble to feed'n'fire and to clean up after going to the range, however they are beautiful, the recoil isn't sharp, and the big bores are as deadly as all get-out. The old Colt Walker sure was a killer.

Here's a bunch of ballistics tables for black powder weapons / loads. Scroll down to the .44 Colt Walker using conical bullets. These boys launch with over 400 ft-lb.s of energy -- enough said.
    http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

Remember to use a wax-grease / lubricant forward of the ball to prevent chain-fire -- same around the primers at the back of the cylinder.

One can make paper cartridges topped with conical bullets for these revolvers. Here's a Google search result for instruction videos showing you how to make your own:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=cap...Gj4KHURyA6QQ_AUIBygC&biw=1121&bih=595&dpr=1.5

I guess if you get good at turning out these home-rolled paper cartridges, you could save a bunch of money.

11. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    It is true at the federal level muzzleloaders are not "firearms" as far as the ATF is concerned. Not, however, there are some strange and/or Draconian state-level regulations concerning front-stuffers in some areas. Anyway, it pays to do a little research on the topic to avoid any trouble with the state and local statutes.