Prep Is Not Complicated; Just Doing The Obvious

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Pragmatist, May 24, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      452/460

Blog Posts:
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...tralian-doomsday-prepper-survivalist/11084660

Prep is not complicated. It does require studying the situation and environment and then addressing the realistic consequences of what could realistically be pending.

This Aussie article - a dash long but worth reading - tells much.

Note the term "apocalypse gold". So true. The reason was mentioned here at MSF.com a few days ago. I learned this via periodontal bills.

I'm not worried about fiscal crises. Pandemics do scare me.

Mentioned in article is "crowbar". This got my attention. In a 20 Sep 18 article by Adam Rogers in Wired.com titled "The Science Behind the Home Disaster Preparedness Kits Is A Disaster", ...

author Rogers had a line that I copied down and can mention it here from my scribbled index card"

"A crowbar (The time you need a crowbar is the time you really, really need a crowbar.)"

Besides being an important tool I already have, author Adam Rogers has a writing style I like.

Article is definitely worth reading. Afterward, check your inventory for apocalypse gold".

2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      455/460

Blog Posts:
    An interesting article. It is always nice to see the light come on. In this case I'm not sure it came on all the way. The reason I say that is that nowhere in the article did I see her mention the fact that it could be me. She could be the one stranded or in need of assistance, and she would be completely unprepared.

I have never thought of Prepping as anything but being practical. What are the problem situations you are most likely to encounter? Why would you NOT prepare for those situations? We have taken it to entirely new levels, and we have included extended family, but the premise is the same. Be prepared for what you are most likely to encounter.

Yes, I do have plenty of apocalypse gold.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

452/460

Blog Posts:
    M101,

Ref: "why would you NOT prep for ...";

The answer:

As an emergency responder, I can't get a citizen to even stockpile 3 jugs of water for her kid with no known father. The reason for not preparing is that the citizenry is subsidized, both in cash and goods. The public sector distribute in emergencies essentials like blankets, hygiene kits, food packets (typically MREs).

Recall that Jones County, South Carolina article I posted yesterday. There were reported complaints about the low-quality food in the emergency shelter. The shelter registrants were predominately the homeless and those from public housing.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The amount of preparation that a person needs to make is a personal level sort of thing. If you reach a certain level your needs for your personal survival don't need to amount to a lot. I have no doubt whatsoever that Keith, for example, could go walkabout with very little and do just fine. He has the knowledge and experience in his chosen location that would make survival pretty easy. I know that up until about 5 years ago I could have walked into the national forest here and lived there indefinably and comfortably with what I could carry in a small backpack. I could probably just survive with what I could stick in my pockets.

the less you know the more stuff you will need to keep you afloat. just think, if you what plants are good to eat and what other things are available in your area you don't need a huge supply of canned foods. If you know how to dependably catch the local wildlife you don't need any further protean source. There are not many places where a knowledgable person can't find water. I Native Americans and the AustrallianAborigany did quite well in some very arid places. That was KNOWLEDGE.

A lot of what I have stored as preparations are actually for comfort and ease of effort rather than true survival. All of the basic needs water, food, shelter, fire, and clothing, with the exception of fire I can easily provide myself with the rest. Fire I can do but it can be a beast without the right equipment.

At my location, I have a water well and permanently covered. I can eat for a year of what I have stored and what I KNOW I can gather. After that year my garden and critters will feed us. Cooking will be no problem, I have wood stoves and rocket stoves, smokers and wood-fired grills, fire ring with pot racks and hooks. I want my family to do more than just survive I want them to thrive and live.

I don't worry about the people that have no knowledge and make no preperations. They are not going to be a problem for long in the event of ever a month-long disaster if it is on the national level where the other 49 states couldn't show up to take care of them. A month with no utilities and nobody showing up to hand out water and MREs and at least half the people would be dead.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  5. Pragmatist

452/460

Blog Posts:
    Tex Dan,

Let me add the recent historical example of the WWII eastern European partisans living SUCCESSFULLY in the forests. The key ingredient was leadership. Many - well above half - were originally city-dwellers....pure urbanites. With the war forcing them to live in the forests, they learned how to adopt.

The 2 big stressors were/are disrupted social settings and stress from the unknown....nothing could be predictable.

There was leadership that did things to protect drinking water sources, to provide for food, to provide for security - recall there was a war going on - and there was relaxing recreational events. I've only listened to the stories of the participants and read up on the partisans but the records are not challenged that they ran theater productions out in the forests. Think of our era's movie "South Pacific".

It can be done. The bast multi-tool and Mr Buddy space heater are irrelevant.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      455/460

Blog Posts:
    Oh yes. I read the article, and that is what I expected. I would think at least part of the reason they show up unprepared is so they can steal whatever is being given to those in need. If you are a first responder you are earning your place in heaven. I would have zero patience with any complaints. I will put your sorry ass back on the bus, and take you back to where I found you. Complaining about the charity someone is providing is a special kind of stupid.

TMT Tactical likes this.