Preparing For Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by kgord, Jun 27, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Those of us who live in areas affected by hurricanes, what do you have in your hurricane survival kit? I have bottled water, batteries, and a couple of weather and battery operated radios. What do you have? What would you like to have in your survival kit? I forgot I also have a flashlight.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Our country is visited by an average of 25 typhoons in a year and flooding is common. Our preparedness was tested in 2009 when typhoon Ondoy flooded our entire town for 48 hours. We were on a standstill since the flood was neck-deep and the flow was strong. We survived on our stock of food mainly canned meat. Flashlight and extra batteries were on hand and we also had the transistor radio that gave us the news.

kgord likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Food,water,first aid kit, dry clothing, waterproofs, flint & steel kit (18th century not modern), firearm & ammo, a life vest if I were on the coast in case I was blown out to sea, rescue flares, cooking kettle, knives, tomahawk, crash hat, work gloves, a good torch, soap, shovel.
    A cyclone proof house would be preferable, failing that a cyclone shelter. A good 4WD secured in a sheltered place.
    Based on my survival experience in cyclone Tracey in Darwin in 1974.

kgord likes this.
  4. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    The crash hat you mentioned is interesting. I do have one of those around. My sister wore a hardhat when she was trapped in a hotel during Hurricane Hugo one of the biggest storms every to hit South Carolina. That was quite an adventure. She wrote an article while she was storm bound and it was published in the local paper.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The crash hat was an after thought, I came close to losing my life in cyclone Tracey, I & the family I was staying with were very lucky. I was trying to think of anything that would help me survive such a situation again, & the crash hat & the life vest came to mind. Some people were literally sucked up out of their houses & blown out to sea. There were cars & trucks being lifted & blown & most of the damage done was through flying debris.
    Keith.

6. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    My house has withstood every hurricane that came through here since 1895.
    They aren't fun, and I'd be lying if I said they aren't scary, but there's little more I could do to be prepared for them.

I don't have to worry about my home flooding.
    My biggest concern is trees falling., and so far I've been lucky.

I have food, water and a generator that's gotten us through them all to date.

I also have hurricane experience brought on by living in this area for the past 5 decades, although I'd be very happy to never have to see another one.

TMT Tactical likes this.