Preparing For Water Supply Disruptions

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Joe B., Jun 6, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Joe B.

Joe B. Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    howler and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Not a bad article. One thing I noticed is that they mentioned you can get water from fresh snow. While that may be true, I've read and watched videos from people claiming it can be a waste of time depending on the situation because you can get a little bit of water from a lot of snow. I've never done it before so I can only go off what I've read and watched. Thanks for the article though!

Joe B., TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Y'know, this information is a day late and a dollar short for the majority of squishy-soft Americans.

People can usually snap back into survival mode after a time of being safe and getting too used to being safe. In America right now, it has sometimes been GENERATIONS since people knew any sort of self-sufficiency.

The health of a community is dependent on safe drinking water. Not only haven't people learned to purify water, they won't learn or can't learn. Most are too lazy or mentally soft to come up to speed on the basics fast enough to survive any shutdowns of food supply or clean water supply.

As many on this site have said: Cut off the water and electricity and urban folk will just die. The population density in our megalopolises is simply too high for even massive military intervention to save them.

This site has loads and loads of info on water purification. It is there to plumb, as it were.

I'm not going to worry about the urbanites. If they come to our areas to steal, then they'll get shot.

4. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      265/345

Blog Posts:
    I have done the water from snow thing myself to see how well it would work. And you are spot on with it taking a whole lot of snow and time to get a relatively small amount of water.

Joe B., Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Joe B.

Joe B. Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Ive heard that too, but mostly in the context of outdoor survival. I think this article assumes you will be at home. I'm one of the squishy-soft urbanites, so I don't have experience with outdoor survival. Ill have to wait till winter to see how well it works. I did try the water filter idea, and it worked really well. Took a long time to grind up the charcoal into a powder though.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Joe B: I admire your effort to learn the skill, and do things the really old fashioned way, but you don't have to go back to the Stone Age. Buy a Big Berkey water filter, and some spare filters, and you will be pretty well set. The Big Berkey can be a little pricey, but there are many other filters available that are affordable. I would recommend having some method of filtration.

You can boil water in a pot on a stove. If you lose power do you have a barbeque grill? Light a fire, and put a pot on the grill. Bring the water to a rolling boil for about 10 minutes, and it should be fine. If you are still in doubt add 16 drops of Bleach per gallon of water.

If you are collecting water from any source you can run it through some cloth (an old T-shirt), and a coffee filter to remove larger contaminants, and then boil it. The various containers shown in the article are a good idea. We keep several food grade containers full of water. In a pinch even old milk containers will work. They just need to be rotated more frequently.

I know the old skills are good, and something that can never be taken away from you, but why not use the technology that is available?

7. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      332/345

Blog Posts:
    We live in the middle of nowhere where it gets extremely cold in the winter. This winter our pipe coming from the well to the house froze. We ordered a heating element and fish tape to fix the issue from amazon. For the week we waited on the fix to arrive we melted snow for washing, bathing and to operate the toilets. We used a half dozen 5 gallon buckets filled with snow and positioned them around the woodstove. We also had a big pot on the woodstove that we would feed with snow from the buckets. Snow was waste deep, so we had plenty of material to work with. A 5 gallon bucket of modestly packed snow would produce somewhere between a half to 3/4 gallon of water.

8. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I didn't personally know the guy but was told a few years back a local had his water supply disrupted during a ice storm . He went to a spring to get a bucket of water , slipped on the ice and broke a bone . Nobody came to look for him . He was later found frozen to death . Preppers should think beyond such S.H.T.F. situations and be prepared .--- This doesn't have a lot to do with water but should be of interest - I had a friend that was out checking on his property while his wife was out of town for a few days . He was riding a four wheeler and got too close to the edge of a gravel pit . The four wheeler turned over pinning him underneath it . He layed there and the buzzards found him . When he was found days later there wasn't much left . I have noticed buzzards start by eating the eyeballs .

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    danil54grl and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Old Geezer

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Charcoal filters do what they do. A properly constructed charcoal filter can improve aroma/taste of water. Hurrah. However, please invest in a high quality (yes, expensive) ceramic filter. I recommend Katadyn. A water filter trumps buying a firearm for survival. Unclean water = dysentery, even death. Pre-filter water through bleached cloth and let sit (allow sedimentation to occur) to get out particulates, this before sending through any filter.

https://www.amazon.com/katadyn-water-filter/s?k=katadyn+water+filter

There is a brush in Katadyn kits to clean the filters. Upper quality Katadyn filters have essential parts lined with silver to help kill bacteria and fungi. My Ktdn filter has the silver lined parts. This stuff works, OK. The filters last on and on. You can buy replacement ceramic filters for whatever model you purchase.

Here's some other make-do water filter ideas:

https://survivalcache.com/diy-making-an-activated-charcoal-filter/

https://ineedthattoprep.com/how-to-build-an-activated-charcoal-water-filter-for-survival/

These filters work a little while then fail. You will constantly have to be replacing them, so buy lots of activated charcoal (not just charcoal, must be activated charcoal).

Get online and read articles about water filtration when out in the wild. International organizations use Katadyn filters. But don't feed icky cloudy water through a good filter unless it's an emergency -- like I said, pre-filter it & let it set until cleaner.

Even with filtration, boil the water for over 10 minutes if you have power / gas-feed. Get a hiking stove for when you are out of power -- cities are NOT going to have power feed when things really go sideways.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hikers+stoves&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Inside the city, depending on which city it is in which you live, you stand to be robbed if you look like you are getting by OK. Looting is now occurring just for the recreational value and to get designer basketball shoes & stereo equipment. Got a shotgun? No? Go buy a used one. Remove the shell count limiting rod within the magazine tube, get someone to show you how, I recently posted a video on this topic on this site. Since you live in an urban area, go with birdshot so that you'll not harm innocents downrange or through a wall. Keep shooting invaders until they stop invading. Survival = losing your gag reflex.

Are you living with someone? If so, buy her a shotgun. Get training if not already proficient. If someone is afraid of a gun then they shouldn't have one. Twenty gauge shotguns are effective, but know that a lightweight 20 can recoil like nobody's business. Barrel length on shotguns must exceed 18 inches or it is called a "sawed-off shotgun" and will get you time in a Federal pen. Look for a short barrel (legal).

One can change barrels on pump shotguns. If you lop-off the barrel, I'd recommend the barrel length be 20". I'm not going to provide instructions -- this is your business. A perfectly curt barrel must have the muzzle filed smooth and re-blued. You can find replacement front sights at your local gun store or online. Some front sights glow in the dark. Understand that you must aim a shotgun. Forget everything you have ever seen on TV and the movies. Even when a kid, I would pattern my shotguns to know exactly what the cone of my shot pattern was at varying distances. And it was fun to go out blowing things apart.

danil54grl, Joe B. and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. woodsman

woodsman Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    is a lifestraw any good because there cheap and easy to get

danil54grl, TMT Tactical and Joe B. like this.
  11. Joe B.

Joe B. Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the pointers. I have a lifestraw filter for my BOB, but should get something more substantial for the home. I will check out the Katadyn filter. I bought a Glock before gun sales went through the roof (and before they closed down all the gun ranges :(). I will check out shotgun options.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Joe B.

Joe B. Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    In my limited experience, I would say yes. I bought one for my BOB. I tested it out in a creek, and didn't get sick, for what thats worth. I like that its small, and can carry it anywhere. I will need to check out the Katadyn filter for the home.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thirty-five years ago, when I bought my first Katadyn, one could come by the top of the line (for a hiker and his mate, not a house or town utility) for $150. International relief agencies use huge Katadyn filtration systems to provide clean drinking water to villages. The #1 killer of babies on Earth is dysentery. Isn't that just f###ing sad!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with some of these smaller filters. I mean, everybody knows that they are for xx-number of uses. What's the value of NOT getting dysentery?! And hey, if you're having to use a filter, you are out in the middle of nowheresville or your home water supply has been compromised (i.e. sh## has hit fan; it's at the very least hit the water supply) = WRONG TIME TO GET SICK!. Dysentery can disable and it can kill. The math is easy on this one.

On one occasion during WWII, the better part of the men of my dad's company were disabled. Buzz bombs? No. Mortar barrage? No. Now you've guessed it! Dysentery. Wars and hard times, what's the biggest killer? Disease.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Joe,

You're not a noob - however defined. You are here working the preparedness portfolio. The noobs are the ones complaining that Christopher Columbus initiated genocide here.

Just glanced at the link; good info.

One matter I'd suggest you spend some time on. Now, the link gives info for "sheltering in place". You are in an urban environment. Like that song: "It happens everyyyyyy time...", an evacuation is a realistic scenario you could experience.

Thus, recommend doing some R&D on vacating the premises with drinking water. Army canteens are a usual method. There are others. Be ready to GOOD - "Get Out Of Dodge".

Joe B. and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    I installed a rainwater collection system. Even I still need to purify the water, but it’s a good way to take advantage of a natural resource. Besides, I also store water in a food-safe container during a water outage.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Robert,

Welcome to the Forum.

Time for a water break ......

Again: Welcome !

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    You will all be as dust long before I ever run low on water. I live in the middle of one of the greatest rainwater gathering systems in the British isles. I'm high up on a hill side so I can't be flooded out but I have fast flowing water within easy reach and the possibility if running a ram pump if need be. Filtration or boiling water is wise to avoid getting sick but these are upland streams so they're as clean as you get in the UK with no nitrate run off from farms or septic tanks draining into their catchment. I also practice travelling on foot using springs as waypoints, very similar to orienteering in order to learn their positions off by heart.

18. Old Geezer

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in America. Do you live on the other side of the Atlantic (British Isles or European Continent)? Do you live across the Pacific? I need not know your location, yet knowing on which area of the planet you reside would help with answering any questions you may have. We Earthlings exist at the whims of nature.

You've your rain-catch in place. This sez that you get rainfall. Much rain there? Are the rains very seasonal (in the tropics, you got your droughts then rainy seasons)? Example: I live in Southern Appalachia. We get very significant rains due to the Gulf moisture headed north, then winds from the northwest collide with that high humidity, and kaboom, here come the thunder storms. We can get droughts here, but they are rare. My rain barrels doth overfloweth. They sure did last night.

Are you catching enough water for your needs? Do you have a garden and if so, does the rainfall catch suffice for the needs of your plants?

I am an old man. At this stage of the game, I am little more than an observer of the world. One of my sons just turned 40; you have him by a year.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I figure your survivability to be very high . Just a thought from my personal experience . If a ram pump is in consideration you might want to get your material before S.H.T.F. . Fine tuning a ram pump may take some experimenting to get it pumping right so I would want to get it functional as the water flow into the pump needs to match with the pump itself or the results may be unsatisfactory . Also a ram pump intake " at least in my case " may need cleaning out of trash that might clog it up on occasion . Mine would also lose prime and quite pumping occasionally so reaching the pump and restarting it would be required . -- My groups solution , we already had a solar electrical system about 200 yards from the water source " a spring " so we installed a catch basin in the spring and electrical water pump powered from the solar system to pump uphill water about 200 yards at about a 30 degree angle and into two holding tanks of an estimated 300 gals capacity each .

Rebecca, TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
  20. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    All in hand Poltergeist

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  21. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    some ways to take natural water here

TMT Tactical likes this.