Prepper Group To Meet ...

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Jan 12, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Yep, Kerrville is in the Hill Country of Texas. The prettiest part of the hill country is a bit south and south west, but it’s still an attractive area of the hill country. While I haven’t had contact with any of my former military buddies in the area for over a decade, several have built successful homesteads in the area. Too hot for me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Alaska John,

I also remember the area from my Ft Hood days.

Still remember the "curve ball" of some Hill Country area river or tributary named "Colorado ____".

My memory was that the nights were COLD ... I had malaria ... and traranchula spiders would be on warm(er) asphalt road.

Thanks for generating good memories of my exploration times.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I did training there often, but the first time was in 1984. I was there from about Sept-Dec, and I recall getting one of those nice 4 day weekend the Army was once famous for. I took the wife tent camping along the Medina river late Oct. That night it got down to about 25 degrees. Nice snuggling weather! I think it was November when the hill country got the 10 inch dump. My guess its still the record. We were training at Camp Bullis, in the Hill Country NW of San Antonio at the time of the big snow.

Probably one of this nations unsung best parks in the lower 48 is Lost Maples State Natural Area. I've hiked and camped there often in the fall when I was assigned to bases in the area. Guadalupe River, Medina River, Sabinal River and a few others I have forgotten were very special places to hike and camp. I think it was the Sabinal River, that flows through Lost Maples, has the very large brontosaurus footprints. There are some tourist spots that are set up to view this, but they are also in areas that are a bit harder to get too. Not much harder, but a walk. I recommend the hill country in the fall with the Maples in their full fall colors, but when the flowers bloom in the spring and early summer after a rain its pretty special too. But man, the summers are a bit warm.

Canyon Lake was fun to, and the military had a recreation area.

Thanks Prag for bringing up some pleasant memories of about 4 plus decades ago!

TMT Tactical likes this.