Preppers Wearing Masks

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by Pragmatist, Mar 14, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.propublica.org/article/...-supplies-and-personnel-to-combat-coronavirus

This rather long article tells of different philosophies might govern how long to use a mask eg a N 95.

The EMT issue is applicable to Prepper first aid / medical care treatment also.

My view is that once a mask is used - even if seal still OK - it is medical waster and will never enter my truck again.

I'm posting this so all can think out well ahead of time how this matter will be resolved for your specific situations.

Justin Baker, TMT Tactical and varuna like this.
  2. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    I use the same precautions with "throw-away" N95's as I use with band-aids: one-and-done. They are intended for single application use, and to reuse them would severely deter their given effectiveness. If you want to go for a reusable situation, then prepare with a reusable mask with "pucks" instead! At least, that's my 2 cents.

That being said, in an emergency situation, anything is better than nothing!

Thank you for sharing!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have N-95 masks but I am not going to use them for this. I will just self-isolate and avoid the crowds for a few weeks and then reevaluate things. Other than a possible Doc appointment I can't think of any reason to leave the house again for a couple of weeks to be anywhere with other people that I don't know. I am more concerned with crazy people than that damn virus to tell you the truth.

The stores here are rationing and that will allow everyone to get some of what they need. If the stores run out there are going to be problems. The poor are not going to stay at home and are not going to do well without the easy life that they have become accustomed too. As long as I am home I am secure. I am really glad that I bugged out of the city over thirty years ago right now.

TMT Tactical likes this.