Prepping Without Gardening Or Animals.

Discussion in 'Efficient Living' started by SkepticalOne, Jul 8, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I am 64, partially disabled (Rheumatoid Arthritis which has pretty well messed up my hands and limited my range of motion with my arms). My idea is to prep for a 3 year - 5 year period using MREs and prepared meal kits, water storage, fuel (Diesel/fuel oil) storage. My property has a deep well, large septic tank, 2500 sq ft modified A-frame home, auxiliary sheds, one of which is "sealed" against predators (The place is in Wyoming), and has a pretty good trout stream runninbg along the rear property (25 acres) border. My question(s) are what else might I need? I have wi-fi, tv, phone on a bundle from AT&T for the place, and two computers, one online, one that is never on the internet, and I have TB HDDs. What am I going to need in the way of data to store? DIY manuals, home remedies, first aid, etc., that sort of thing. Any suggestions?

I do not believe that we will see a full scale SHTF (barring war with China or Russia), but we may well see regional SHTF situations with the Left's continued meltdown, and I want to be ready to hit Wyoming for an extended period - 3/5 yrs figure.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    Water: Get water filters. Ceramic to get down the bacteria count; Katadyn is the best ... and most expensive. Carbon filters get out the bad smells ... a lot of them ... nothing's perfect.

Put back supplies of food. Mainly put back that which you already eat = canned beans, canned meat such as spam or ham. Rice or pasta lasts forever especially if you put oxygen absorbing packs in with them; rice in a Mason jar, O2 absorber pack thrown in, seal jar with lid. I do this with rice and with elbow maccaroni.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kat...ho_cAhXqs1kKHQ9gBbUQ_AUICigB&biw=1165&bih=597

https://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Sorb-Oxygen-Absorbers-Storage-100-Pack/dp/B0028AG8RO

SkepticalOne likes this.
  3. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. Pasta is good .... love pasta! Water filters are on order, 1 yr supply.

4. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Y'know, a man will, and I have, spend $X00 dollars on a rifle, scope, and ammo ... and not yet have bought a really good water filter. Historically, what's killed more soldiers than about anything else? Dysentery.

During WWII, the better part of my dad's company were laid up for a couple of days or more. Machine guns, bombs, ...? The cooks hadn't properly cleaned the pots and pans or they used unclean water. A lack of cleanliness slowed down tank shipments to the front. During the war, my dad also got Hepatitis A.

Glad you have ordered some filters. I have a couple of charcoal filters and one very good, ceramic, Katadyn. Plus, I've a spare filter. I've read that there have been documented cases of Giardia cysts living through 10 (ten) minutes of boiling -- yes, that is completely absolutely outrageously impossible. Go figure. A ceramic micron (whatever) filter will mechanically isolate the cysts. One needs a micro quad-.50.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Oh, and I've been meaning forever to buy some more fire extinguishers.

6. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the input, and REALLY thanks for reminding me that two fire extinguishers is not enough!! Filters are on order, and I will get purifiers when I hit Wally World tomorrow. And as extras I'll get a box of life straws. If the power ever goes out, the stream will provide all the water I need....good size stream, runs all year, freezes over sometimes in the winter, but that's not a big problem. (Excellent trout fishing, too!)

7. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I am not currently a "gardener" as such. I have tomatoes, bell peppers (red, yellow, green), cucumbers, hot chile peppers of different varieties...all of them are canned for annual storage because I like them for home made pasta sauces and salsa. I grow them in elevated garden boxes. There are basically enough to use throughout the year, but rarely are there any left for the next year. I have plenty of heirloom seeds if I need to ramp up production.

We have saddle horses, and raise a few head of cattle every year here for beef, and have a few ducks (we have two ponds).

The extreme vast majority of our food preparation is in the form of long term storage that I have purchased over the years having "more money than time" to invest. I figure we are at a comfortable 5 thousand calories per person per day for 5 years for 10 people level of presently stored food right now, with more being added monthly. I am not a mormon, but I have mormon neighbors and I have modeled our storage plans on theirs except I tripled it. I plan to be comfortable and not under stress trying to feed everyone for a good long while. While other things ramp up, there will be enough for everyone and the stored goods will stretch as cattle increase and the expanded gardens come in.

One nice thing about having friends who are mormon is that you can get into group purchases and bulk buys through their Deseret Warehouse stores.

Currently, we figure to have 9 people here...My wife, daughter, son, daughter in law, mother in law, best friend, and his wife and daughter, and myself.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  8. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you have the food problem well under control. I believe the Mormons would hold up as a MAG if the SHTF. They are a pretty insular group and I don't see them allowing any Leftist invaders to move on them....or any pother kind of invaders, for that matter. I currently have about a year's worth of stored food at my Wyoming place, and plans as posted to improve things there next year....maybe move out there permanently then, too. You have a lot of people to share the workload. Just me and the dog here, and he ain't crazy about work! I joined Sam's Club premier membership to get the bulk prices on most of what I need, but the Mormon prices are probably lower than Sam's! With my health issues, very light gardening might be doable....wouldn't mind raising some various kinds of peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, and tomatoes....love salads, and home-made salsa, spaghetti sauce, and picante sauce. Don't want any animals though....they would draw the predators for sure.

Old Geezer likes this.
  9. Ken S LaTrans

38/58

Blog Posts:
    I get it. I live out in the middle of nowhere...or actually 5 miles from the nearest paved road that leads to the middle of nowhere. There is no good reason for people to be out here on purpose, let alone by accident.

With the land I have and the damned few cattle I run...the discovery isn't a real concern (but I allow for the possibility). My family settled in AZ in the 1850s and had a lot of fights and skirmishes holding onto what we had. I don't see it going "medieval" but rather a rewind of about 100 years. I have no problem taking on predators, whether they are two or four legged to keep my family safe, fed, and secure.

The gardening is my admitted weak spot, but I have books on it. I started small with my garden boxes so I could get the technique down. I will probably expand into some corn next year, and possibly some onion and garlic patches. My wife has a crazy herb garden already...and those are like weeds...nearly impossible to kill. The good news is that the horses and cattle provide some really good "organic" fertilizer. I also want to look into "patch" foods like grapes, strawberries, and other such things that grow year after year with little tending. We already have a small apple orchard on the property and six orange trees that are finally starting to yield some oranges. In a couple of years they should be doing well. I water them and the apple trees with a small solar irrigation pump that is fed into one of the stock ponds.

The first thing I will do when the SHTF (if it happens in my life time) is build my still and make me some shine!

One person I would like to add to our place is an old fart, or an old fart and his wife who know gardening and canning, and have other old time skills. I would let them live here helping as they could in an RV.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Old Geezer and SkepticalOne like this.
  10. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you have a pretty good spread there and enough help to make it work. I have to go the opposite direction, since there's just me and Muttly. Isolated though...miles from any paved road and only one neighbor a couple miles away. Herbs and berries might work...doesn't require much attention, I could probably swing that. Fruit trees are not really in the picture....by the time they bore fruit I'd probably be to infirm to pick them!!

11. Ken S LaTrans

38/58

Blog Posts:
    We bought this place in the middle of the real estate crash. We got it for next to nothing when no one wanted to or could buy real estate. It was 100 acres of government land that had been sold back to the county, then sold to a potential developer that went belly up...and we got a hundred acres for pennies on the dollar, and it sill had some cold war government surplus on it that has come in handy and will come in handy again some day.

We built my wife's dream home but with an eye for extreme insulation and heat resistance. The walls are 24" thick with an insane R Value with small windows for deflecting summer heat and a basement for a cool retreat even if power (solar, wind, generator) was totally gone. Air circulates through the basement into the upper floors via fans and it keeps the house at least 10f cooler inside than the ambient outside temperature without running the air conditioner....which is great up to 90f, but over that we do run A/C.

All the windows are triple thick, triple pane, and small to allow light in but to reflect UV and heat. There are no windows on the east or west side of the house but there are small doors that allow shooting, should it become necessary. The exterior is gunnite over solid insulation, over cinder bock. The back of the roof is covered in solar panels and the roof material itself is slate tile which is reflective and fire resistant.
    Casa LaTrans.jpg

SkepticalOne likes this.
  12. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Nice place you have there, and for pennies on the dollar the land was a good deal, too. I don't do pictures, but my place is a modified A-frame (think without all the glass), 2500 sq.ft., which is more than enough for me and Muttly. The loft is used for storage, and the living room doubles as my bedroom. Big fireplace with circulating fans, as well as a oil burner furnace. Insulated well, it is Wyoming after all...can't have too much insulation! If I move out there permanently next year, about the only thing I'll need that is not in current planning is the "security" set-up. Motion detectors, wireless trail cams, that sort of thing, but I can decide what I need when the time comes. Did get the land pretty cheap, though...25 acres, almost a perfect square, for under $500/acre. Biggest expense was the well..600 footer....but the aquifer is dropping every year, so I did the right thing there getting a deep well.

13. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    We are in a similar circumstance as you are , @SkepticalOne . I am 73, and not in the best physical health. I don’t expect that either myself or my husband would make it through any kind of complete shutdown; but also want to be prepared to make it through hard times that we can survive through , with preparation.
    One place that I like for ordering survival food is called “Augason Farms”. They are a company out of Utah, and sell storable food of all kinds and in all sizes of containers.
    I have been getting their Morning Moos whey milk for years now, and it is easy to make, as well as delicious to drink or use in coffee. I just ordered a #10 can of the black bean burger mix, and I really like that as well. You just add water and let it reconstitute for about 10-15 minutes, and then cook the burger.
    What I do is add finely chopped or grated veggies (carrots, garlic, onions) to the mix while it is getting ready, and then I can make about two patties from the amount of mix it suggests for one single patty.
    The bean burgers are delicious ! I am going to be making them about 4-5 at a time and then freezing the burgers until I am ready to use them.
    Our garden here is just what I can grow in containers. The ground is hard clay, and trees all over, so you can’t pick a garden area and till it. I just plant in the containers and put them where they get the best sun.
    What I am working on doing, is growing plants that are perennial and produce each year, like asparagus, and berry bushes.
    These can be planted almost anywhere that I can plant them and they can get enough sunshine, and seem to do better than the garden veggies do.

Here is what my black bean burger can looks like.
    A6DB9BD2-0FAF-4A8D-A469-18631FEB763D.jpeg

SkepticalOne and Ken S LaTrans like this.
  14. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like we have many of the same problems with health issues. A regular garden is out of the question as I could not handle it. What I might do is try plants that need very little tending, or no tending at all. I need to do some research on this. Or MAYBE a small greenhouse with raised beds is a possibility, but still with plants that need little attention. I'll look into Augason Farms online, see if they have a catalog and what their prices are. I get most things from Sam's Club or Walmart.
    Never tried "bean burgers," but I like the idea of spicing them up a bit with peppers, mushrooms, onion, garlic, etc....will see if the have such a thing locally at Sam's or Walmart and give it a try. I get powdered milk in bulk from Sam's.

15. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    Morning Moos is also great to blend along with powdered milk. It has a nice creamy flavor, and tastes much better than just plain powdered milk does. The powdered milk does have more protein, so if this is important, then it is good to mix the two together, but otherwise you can just use the Moo on its own.
    Sam’s Club, Walmart, and Amazon all carry some of the Augasun products, and you can actually get them cheaper that way than purchasing direct from the company. I get the Morning Moos from Walmart online, and do the free shipping/store pickup. The black bean burger mix, I ordered through Amazon.
    That being said, Augasun Farms does have good sales, and if you get on their emailing list, you can get some excellent prices when they have the specials.
    Here is their website:

https://www.augasonfarms.com/?avad=49183_f6d4711f

SkepticalOne likes this.
  16. SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Next time I go to Sam's and Wally World I'll take a look around and see what they have. I have archived the link, thanks for the link. Tonight when I have more time I'll see if they have a catalog either to send me, or online. Again, Thanks! I do need the protein, so would be mixing them. I get premium protein drinks from Sam's (30 gm protein in each) at a good price, and they also have good protein cookies (18 gm each). Have a nice day!

17. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Ken has talked about making 'shine. That's smart, I mean that is real smart.

I come from poor. In primitive times, how do you get corn to market? Yes, in a jar.

Al Capone had nice digs in my hometown ... and listen, I come from Podunk, Nowhere. Everyone knows why he came up in the hills. He was at heart a businessman.

SkepticalOne likes this.
  18. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I have never seen any of the auguson products on the store shelves, but it might depend on the location of the store.
    However, both Sam’s and Walmart carry them as an online product. Walmart has the in-store free pick up for online ordered items, so that is how I have mine shipped. We live fairly close to one of the Walmart Neighborhood Markets, so it is not hard to stop by and pick up an order from there.
    We also get the whey protein drink mix from Sam’s when we shop there. I mix mine in with homemade almond milk for the extra magnesium, and to avoid getting to much calcium.

SkepticalOne likes this.