Prescription Medication

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by nytegeek, Jul 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. nytegeek

nytegeek New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Should I include prescription medications in my survival kit? What is the best way to stockpile them for emergencies? Are there ways to get insurance to pay for an emergency supply of medications nessacary for survival like insulin?

2. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am on antidepressants and I wonder about this all of the time. I know that if I were to quit my pills cold turkey I would be sick for at least two weeks and it would take time for my body to sort it out. How would I survive? I have thought about saving a few pills here and there and skipping a few days that way I at least have some to spare.

3. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I am considering that prescription items are issued on a needs basis, therefore, they would be issued for immediate use. Some prescriptions need to be stored under certain conditions for them to be effective. So I don't how possible it is for most prescription items to be stockpiled. When the have been issued to individuals for instant use which is why the prescription had been issued in the first place and there would be the danger of some of them losing effectiveness because of improper storage conditions.

4. nytegeek

nytegeek New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I have 20 different prescriptions that I need daily. 2 of them are insulins. They aren't temporary or for instant use, that wasn't what I was talking about. The bulk of prescriptions are for recurring use anyway. The Insulins I use are good for over a year if unopened and refrigerated. The other 18 are pills that can be held at room temperature for a year or more. You will find this to be the case with most prescription medications that are pills for oral administration. There are of course specific medications with varied requirements but in general it is safe to stockpile. They are not usually issued for instant use. They usually come in 30 or 60 day or even 90 day amounts between refills.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If you need those meds, then those would be among the first things I'd put in my survival kit. I don't know how the prescription system works in your country but here it's pretty hard to cheat, so you'll have a hard time stockpiling those ones that you use on a constant basis. If you get 60 days worth of meds you could probably put a months worth in your bag and go get more once the ones not in your bag run out. Of course then you'd only get more for 30 days as you still have 30 days left, but at least you'd have an extra month stashed up. Again depends on how the system works and the amount of meds in a single package.

6. Ashton_XIII

Ashton_XIII New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I take 1 75mg Effexor daily. If I skip 2 days, I start to go into withdrawal and start getting symptoms that effect my concentration and could get me killed in a wrong circumstances. BUT, it's not a medication I need to live. What I have personally done is researched how to safely come off the drug myself. I have the "tapered down" supply in my BOB. So if SHTF, I can still function enough to get myself off the meds completely. Fortunately, I have no meds that I need to survive, like insulin. If it's something you can live without, keep enough to get yourself off the meds. If it IS a med you need to live, then stockpile as much as you can. But, synthetic insulin will not be produced if most of the world is dead or in chaos. So, chances of you living past a year without the meds, are slim.

7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Broad spectrum antibiotics would be great in case of emergency. Broad spectrum means you can at least take down general infection, and it's rather common over the counter. It's not as effective as more direct and specific meds against infection, but then again odds of you getting the correct one specifically and having the cure stored in your kit is very unlikely. Best go for the broad approach and see if that will help. Odds are higher that it will.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    antibiotics are not available OTC here in the UK, they are only available by prescription and you should take the whole course therefore stockpiling is not an option.

9. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I live in a hurricane zone and I'm lucky enough to know my physicians personally.

I simply asked for an extra script and it was given after I explained why I wanted it.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    normal repeat prescriptions from our family doctor aren't a problem, but antibiotics have been widely over prescribed in the UK and we now have bugs that are resistant to anti biotics, and doctors will not prescribe them without an illness that requires them. no ifs no buts.

11. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I take a beta blocker daily, but I get 90 day supply with each refill and I can stop taking them as long as I taper off, so not a big concern. I have rarely taken antibiotics, and have good resistance to infection, but those that have taken them a lot throughout life are going to be dependent on them somewhat. Your prepping plan should include good diet and keeping your immune system strong at all times.

12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Canada’s Drug Shortage For Children Is So Bad, People Are Driving To America For Help

https://dailycaller.com/2022/11/18/...blem-kids-medicine-driving-into-america-help/

"Canada is facing coinciding waves of coronavirus, influenza and respiratory syncytial virus, all of which cause fevers in children. The unprecedented demand has led to a months-long nationwide shortage, and those seeking relief are taking matters into their own hands and by turning to the United States, according to CTV News.

"Canadian hospitals are so overwhelmed that the main hospital dedicated to providing care to young children, Sick Kids Hospital, has postponed select surgeries in an attempt to safeguard its critical care capabilities, according to the hospital’s website. However, parents hoping to treat their ailing children at home are finding empty shelves at their local pharmacies. Acetaminophen and ibuprofenare are currently unavailable for purchase, so desperate parents are trekking across the border to find alternative solutions, putting increased pressure on American supplies, according to The Guardian."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

America’s Dependence On China For Medicine Gives The CCP Massive Leverage

https://dailycaller.com/2022/06/01/mass-america-dependence-china-medicine-ccp-leverage/

"In their 2018 book, “China Rx: Exposing the Risks of America’s Dependence on China for Medicine,” Rosemary Gibson and Janardan Prasad Singh painted a profoundly ominous picture of a world that had changed over the preceding 25 years.

"No longer did the United States, Europe and Japan supply 90% of “the key ingredients for the world’s medicines and vitamins.” Instead, “China is the largest global supplier of the active ingredients and chemical building blocks needed to make many prescription drugs, over-the-counter products, and vitamins,” they wrote.

"In 2022, China is now the source for approximately 40% of the world’s Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs), which are critical to making drugs.

"Few in the United States, even among physicians, are fully aware of just how drastic our dependence has become. Here are just a few examples.

" About 97% of antibiotics used in the United States, including drugs as basic as penicillin and amoxicillin, now come from China.

"In 2019, three commonly used blood pressure medications manufactured in China were found to be tainted with carcinogens.

"Medications with ingredients from China and made in China are used in the United States for routine surgeries, common and less-common infections, psychiatric disorders, cancer, and seizures. Those with chronic diseases who must take medication and the young who have years ahead are most at risk of developing cancers and other long-term complications through prolonged use of possibly tainted products that have not yet been detected.

"If you doubt the gravity of our situation, imagine mainland China finally moving to reclaim Taiwan. Imagine the leverage Beijing can apply to stifle any American response other than acquiescence.

"To the greatest degree and by any policy and regulatory means, including taxation rates, we must bring home the production of the ingredients that go into a revitalized domestic manufacture of the tools we use to care for our sick."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    getting a supply of prescription medicines in the UK is not really an option, doctors will only prescribe one months supply at a time, putting the repeat order in a week early sometimes-over time- will get a couple of months supply but in general any kind of a stockpile just isnt possible.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    This is a serious issue. For example a situation that removes the supply of insulin would have dreadful effects on a great number of people. As Lonewolf says, in the UK, it is almost impossible to legally obtain medication without a doctor's prescription (effectively an authority note from a medical professional, usually a qualified medical Doctor).

An alternative view would be to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle in order to minimise the need for medicines. This, of course, would only apply to those already in good health.

I would be very interested to hear of any alternative, and viable, ideas.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    one should always try to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle with a diet of the proper food, unfortunately I see many people much younger than me who are in a worse medical condition because of their fast food diet and lifestyle, we have an obesity crisis in the UK as anyone can see walking around city centres.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  16. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I spend a good deal of time at various festivals. The wife makes and sell hand made jewelry. I attend these event with her. I see way too many obese people of all age groups. From pre-teens (very young children) to seniors. All age groups show the effects of a poor diet and food intake problem. One of the wife's daughters is over 400 pounds and has life threatening medical problems but refuses to even consider any form of diet. She is a liberal and considers diets to be fat shaming. These people do not have any chance of survival in an economic collapse. The obese are dead men / women walking. I am a type 2 diabetic and on insulin and metformin. I think that during a collapse I might survive due to need for more physical activity but that is only a guess. I can stock pile some of the metformin but not the insulin. Due to my advanced years and past injuries, I really don't expect to last very long in a complete collapse but I will certainly give it my best shot.

Brownbear likes this.
  17. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Insulin in the United States is made in at least three facilities (Eli Lilly). Genetically altered E. Coli is used here in the States. In Europe, Novo Nordisk, uses genetically altered yeast to make insulin. Insulin is manufactured en masse -- vats of the stuff. The first storage modality is crystalline which is very stable. Before being placed in vials for shipment, the crystalline form is reconstituted with H2O. Diabetics can buy extra insulin for storage. It is relatively cheap. Don't ask me the price. Insulin can be stored for up to a year if it is refrigerated. One thing that you will not read is that this Rx can be stored at 55 F (12 C) or below, NOT down into the 40s where refrigerators operate. So one can use a small reverse thermocouple for storage -- be careful, freezing insulin destroys it. Reverse thermocouples give one a fixed delta of temperature, therefore one could easily freeze the insulin if feedback regulation is not provided.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I was also on insulin and metformin about a year ago . Then I started taking a teaspoon of ginko leaves each morning . I had to stop taking the insulin because my sugar level dropped drastically . Ginko leaves dried and ground can be ordered on line for not much money . I found this sugar dropping trick by accident . But look it up , studies are presently underway in labs on this effect . Actually if I really tried hard , I could drop the metformin also , but I like sneaking in that ice cream or chocolate bar . -- I planted my own ginko tree after I made this discovery .

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      Thank you PG. I will check into getting some. I have a weight maintenance issue. I am almost 6 foot and weigh between 140 and 146 pounds. I need the carbs to maintain a reasonable weight but I don't produce any insulin. AND yes, I do love my ice cream too. During a true SHTF event, protein and carbs (pasta, corn, potatoes, etc.) will be my main diet. I expect the requirement of a basic life style will cause me to burn more calories than my current life style, so I am hoping that I will not need the prescription medications. Your suggestion my fill the bill nicely.

TMT Tactical, Nov 21, 2022
      Brownbear and poltiregist like this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Post Collapse will indeed require a different lifestyle, a more physical one, this will help some of us who just need to lose a few pounds but will not help the obese, of which there are many in modern populations.
    some who are so fat they have trouble even moving from their chair to the fridge, never mind doing anything physical to ensure their ongoing survival.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    1. TMT Tactical
      I enjoyed the article, thanks PG. Now I have a question. What is the recommended daily dosage amount? I see that there are huge difference in the dosage amount being sold on Amazon (pill form).

TMT Tactical, Nov 22, 2022
      poltiregist likes this.
  21. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Personally I don't think they could get much in a capsule . I bought a bag of loose ground and dried leaves . Perhaps this method of taking the leaves is not for everyone , but I have a cup of water ready and simply put about one level teaspoon of leaves in my mouth , add a mouth of water and slosh it around in my mouth wetting the leaves and swallow . Trying to swallow the leaves dry makes me cough , as they stick in my throat . -- One cautionary note , after starting the leaf regiment i have had my sugar go too low on occasion so checking your sugar level at least once a day is a good idea . I have found it in the 50's -70's and 80's but that is not usual . My last check about 1 hour ago was 131 so I enjoyed a beer . The only reason it was 131 was because I had eaten some cookies earlier in the day .

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      I think I will go with the Ginkgo tea. I will buy some and test it out. My current medical prescriptions (insulin and Metformin) is working well (morning reading 90) but I want something to have during a major SHTF event. I check my glucose three times a day. I will not have access to the prescription meds, I think that with the increased activity and the tea, I may have a fighting chance. I also think the tea will store / warehouse very well. Vacuumed sealed, it should last as long as I do. LOL Again, thanks for the info.

TMT Tactical, Nov 22, 2022
      poltiregist and Brownbear like this.