President Trump Signs Bill To Fund State-level Gun Range Expansion

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by TMT Tactical, May 14, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      480/575

Blog Posts:
    Still try to get things done for us.

"Keane summed up the overall benefits of the legislation:

If a state wildlife agency decides to build a new recreational shooting range that cost $1 million, the state would only need to apply $100,000 of state funds to access the remaining $900,000 from Pittman-Robertson funds, instead of the $250,000 down payment currently required. It would also give states up to five years to use those funds, which is crucial when navigating the approvals for acquiring lands, permits and approvals for projects."

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...ns-bill-fund-state-level-gun-range-expansion/

Caribou and Morgan101 like this.
  2. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      347/460

Blog Posts:
    As much as I like free shooting ranges, the federal government should not be wasting tax dollars on them. Cut taxes, I can use the savings to pay range fees.

3. TMT Tactical

480/575

Blog Posts:
    I am normally opposed to government spending but providing a place for generations to learn gun safety, improve shooting skills and remove the B.S. about guns, is a win-win for me.

randyt, Caribou and Sonofliberty like this.
  4. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    Trump has already cut taxes.

Publicly owned shooting ranges can be used for teaching Hunter safety and NRA safety classes as well as NRA sponsored competitions which brings money into the communities.

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      455/460

Blog Posts:

I agree with you, and I hate to see the Federal Government involved with anything. That said when you look at all the money that gets pissed away on stupid, useless, B.S. it is nice to see at least a small portion going in a direction that I agree with, and would be helpful.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Teddy Roosevelt would have approved of this 100%. Rifle Ranges are part of National Parks and promote hunter safety. The public must get out into the parks, else they lose their connectivity to nature. National Parks are tremendous aids in the fight against psychological depression. Due to kill-offs of predators, hunting by humans is required for herd management -- over-population is a horrible/evil killer of wildlife; starvation is no way to die. Bringing back wolf packs is OK, however bringing back huge numbers of packs just isn't going to be tolerated -- they kill calves and human children.

Some stupid bleeding-heart lady out California way, began feeding the coyotes that would wander into the cul-de-sac where she lived; y'know those big neighborhoods outside some sprawling city. Well, those coyotes came a'visiting and there was no food, but there was a little 3 yr. old boy playing in his backyard. The coyotes ripped him apart -- no, he didn't make it. Not an urban legend unless the L.A. Times (or some other big newspaper) was creating a wild story. Usually these communist rags cover-up Mother Nature's darker side.

7. watcherchris

watcherchris Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    You guys do and think for what you want.

I am not against shooting ranges..but like many here I have my doubts about this...I'm thinking it is a Trojan Horse.

I belong to a shooting club across town...with a shotgun and rifle pistol ranges outdoors and also an indoor range open 24/7.

When you sign in as a member...you log in your name, member number...caliber of gun you are using...length of range you are using...50 or 100 yard range..bench number...etc etc etc.

Much of this is mandated by the insurance company covering their liabilities...profits.

But who gets to see this information??? Think about it...!!

Do you want the federal government collecting data on how many guns you own..what calibers....how far in distance you are shooting...your member number.....how many days of the week or month you shoot....etc etc etc.

This may be fine as long as you have pro 2A people in office..but what about when anti 2A people are in office. We just went through 8 years of anti gunners..and suddenly .22 Long Rifle became scarce in many parts of the country. Only since this sitting President do we see .22 Long Rifle making a comeback.

But data on who has what gun and gun skills....etc etc...that is something totally different....when confiscation time comes...the ability to cross check data.

Remember ....many people and states have guns bought person to person..no paperwork and this is legal in these states unless you buy from a licensed dealer..then you have to fill out paperwork. Suddenly these individually bought guns are visible ..out in the open...via these new Federal Gun Ranges.

It is no ones business who owns them....if you want to keep it this way....
    If you want to keep it this way ..use a private gun range...not one of these ranges where they collect such data and tie it to a person and or an address...just like they do with your card from Sam's Club or Costco, or BJ's...even if you pay cash...there is a paper trail of what you have bought and own...and where you live.

Just some thoughts. I'm not sure many of the members have thought it through this far.

If you have a private range or access to the same....your lucky.

But think it through again ..from the aspect of what I am posting. This could be an Ishmaelite thing laid out right in front of you.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Duncan, Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. TMT Tactical

480/575

Blog Posts:
    At my public range, I walk up pay my fee and get assigned a shooting position. If I wish to move to another position (longer or shorter range) I simply go back to the register table and they re-assign me to a new position. No personal info past my name. No caliber, home address, or any other pertinent info. Great living a 2nd. Amendment state. Love my beautiful Arizona.

Duncan, Radar, Morgan101 and 2 others like this.
  9. watcherchris

410/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical.,

Glad to hear it is not like that where you dwell...that they are not collecting your personal information outside of your name.

Wish it was that way here. I do have access to a private range across the river and sometimes go there. But mostly I go to our gun club...wherein they collect gobs of personal info.

Olde Geezer,

What a sad story. I've been waiting to hear of such an event here in Virginia where the coyotes are on the increase even out in the country...near the expanding suburbs.

Waiting to hear of some unthinking television and or movie educated person to stick their infant child in the play pen out in the back yard and then go inside to do chores or such.
    It is bound to happen as the suburbs get built on what was once farm land out in the country.

Isn't that somewhat of what is happening in Florida where the suburbs are expanding into the Everglades territories and the gators moving into people's back yards and or swimming pools??? Has t o end badly for someone or some animal.

Watcherchris,
    Not an Ishmaelite

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The right to keep and bear arms is for all American citizens. The need for a place to shoot and practice that right should not be limited to just the people with the money. A day at the range runs more than a lot of people can afford. I'm lucky in that I've always had places to shoot but people that live in large urban areas don't have places like that.

Duncan, watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. TMT Tactical

480/575

Blog Posts:
    My public range is very reasonable. $8.00 per day and you get a free target, stand, masking tape and free use of sand bags. They even have free brass catcher screens to use. The high cost of shooting in the ammo. it is easy to burn through $100 per visit. That is one reason I am learning to reload. Got to reduce some of the costs.

Radar and Sonofliberty like this.
  12. watcherchris

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Amen on reducing some of the costs..

That is exactly what got me started in reloading many years back.

However ...my word of caution to the members and also non members here is in the area of data collection by the Feds...not in the shooting range availability.

People who have guns unregistered and or private are going to be coming out in the open with them and the data going to someone in the Federal Government. They will know who has what and where. That is my concern.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Texas doesn't do registration so the only way they ever know when you buy a gun is when you buy from a Licensed dealer with an FFL. After that, if you wish you can sell it to a stranger and it is GOOOONE from their ability to know where it is. Over the years I tried to buy most of my "militaristic" weapons from private dealers for this very reason. I love to cruse a gun show and make my buys from people there rather than the dealers. You don't have to have an FFL to buy and sell used guns. I usually do the deal in cash. They don't even know my name. I have a friend that will run the serial numbers for me and I've only been sold a stolen gun once.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  14. watcherchris

410/460

Blog Posts:

TexDanm,

Virginia is like that too....buy from a licensed dealer and you fill out paperwork.

My point is that if you have guns bought this way and you sign in with all your info at a Federal Gun range...someone will see the data and know what you have.

I've bought four guns in the last year at the gun club through the club bulletin board cash and carry. No law being broken here.

But my concern is that when the cycle comes around again..and leftist progressives get back in office...this data will be reviewed...by someone who does not trust Americans to be armed......ie....Ishmaelites.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Duncan

Duncan Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Wouldn't that be -- in effect -- the US Government subsidizing the NRA, a political lobby?

16. Duncan

Duncan Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    There are a lot of groups who would support the idea of free gun ranges, probably including these folks.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Duncan

Duncan Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Actually, back on the Eastern side of the Mississippi, the danger is more than here in the West. There we are seeing more and more coyotes interbreeding with wolves to result in "coywolves": as smart and as attenuated to human areas as their mommies,, but much bigger and stronger than the plain old 35-lb coyotes we have here in Idaho or Arizona.

Back East, you might want to stop thinking 5.56 and start thinking 6.8 SPC if you're going for a hike in the wilder country.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Duncan

Duncan Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Wise move. I bought one of these blue boogers about six years ago and taught myself to use it. Unfortunately, it won't reload my most-used cartridge: the .22 LR. But even though I don't shoot that much, it's already paid for itself.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    "The NRA" has two distinct branches, and only one is involved directly in politics
    The NRA-ILA is the "NRA Institute for Legislative Action".

https://home.nra.org/

The ranges are there for everyone, so no one is being "subsidized".
    Our taxes pay for them.

20. TMT Tactical

480/575

Blog Posts:
    Duncan, I agree except I would go with the 6.5 Grendel, shoots the same bullets (not cartridge size) as the 6.5 Creedmoor. The bigger the critter , the bigger the bullet I want. Don't believe in fair fights or in hunting. I like the better ballistics of the Grendel.

Duncan, you got the cream of the crop. The 550 Dillion is very nice and a solid reloading system. A bit out of my budget but I can appreciate the quality. It does take some patience and skill to set up but is worth the investment long term. Just a bit green with jealousy. I will have to stick with my Lee Turret press.

Sonofliberty likes this.