Proper Use Of Oxygen Required

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Dec 4, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Now being a future candidate for being paired up with a oxygen supply and also being a shooters, I am wondering how well that will work out at the shooting range. I do expect that sometime in the not to distant future, an oxygen generator will become a close companion. So if any of the members have any knowledge about these devices, I would love to learn more.

GateCrasher likes this.
  3. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    No direct experience with oxygen concentrators, but I know some models have the ability to fill small portable tanks in addition to the usual 'on demand' or 'direct to the patient' mode of operation. Being able to refill small tanks would make a person less reliant on having to get them refilled commercially, or through regular home delivery as some companies offer. More mobility for the patient too.

Might be a good time to take up oxy acetylene welding as a hobby?

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      I am not sure commercial grade oxygen (oxygen Acetylene) is medical grade. I am sure it would beat the heck out of having nothing.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
      TMT Tactical, Dec 5, 2019
      Caribou likes this.
  4. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Oxygen is oxygen. Supposedly medical oxygen goes through a different filter but I wouldn't hesitate to administer welders oxygen. Oxygen can save a life. Use medical oxygen if you have it but if the person is going to die without it what have you got to loose?

Much of wilderness medicine is doing the best that you can with what you have. When there is no 911, when you can't run to the ER or "phone a (medical) friend" the rules change. People die when you have all the things that we have today. Expect people to die after TEOTWAWKI, the best we can do is the best we can do.

TMT Tactical and GateCrasher like this.
  5. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    I've heard the same on regular v. medical oxygen. Tanks might be different as well, flakes of metal off the inside of a welding tank wouldn't be good to breathe. A piece of HEPA filter, like cut from a vacuum cleaner bag and inline between the tank and the mask/nasal cannula, would trap larger particles. Or some N95/N100 mask material.

Wilderness medicine, and/or military prolonged field care, has some great improvised strategies for caring for people that can't be evac'd. There's some good stuff in "travel medicine" that might be applicable in a SHTF situation too, staying healthy after the SHTF might be similar to a stay in a third-world country now in terms of disease.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Caribou,

Administering oxygen is something like someone working air passage management. The utmost of sound discretion is required. Keep exacting notes.

Whether the oxygen is USP quality or with the aroma of Reel-Slick brand anhydrous graphite, the patient might be unconscious, elderly, with other injuries and an unknown history of respiratory problems.

Out in the sticks, the thorns and afloat, if all goes well, all is OK. Otherwise, there are hearings. Arrive with extra photocopies of notes.

TMT Tactical likes this.