Purchasing Survival Kit vs. Making Your Own

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by crmeche2, May 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Should I purchase a survival kit or build my own? I'm new to this and want to know which is the better option. I have done a little research and have seen ready made kits for sale. I was wondering if there is any value in these, or should I just create my own. I have also seen several how-to guides on making kits, and I wanted to know if anyone could recommend one that was good.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    ready made kits have their place, but nothing beats personal experience.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Ready made kits ive saw are full of gear but from what ive seen of them they have poor quality of gear tube tent made of plastic paper thin blankets. I want gear of quality are you willing to risk your life on it because yiou may have to

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    You could start with a survival & first aid kit, but along the line you'll find yourself thinking "Oh, I need this and that too!". Each person has their own needs, especially if you also intend to care for medical conditions like diabetes and such.
    The manufacturers of these kits can't predict where you live or what special things you might need. So after you get your basics either through ready kit, or by gathering them yourself, it's good to sit down on an afternoon and think things like:

How far is the nearest hospital and if you have a vehicle to reach a destination.
    What's the chance of roads being damaged and what you can do instead.
    What to do if you don't have a car or you car is incapacitated.
    What are your/your team's medical needs (chronic illness, handicap)
    What do you do with your pet, if you have one.
    What kinds of gear you'll need to generate or store electricity.
    Tools to fix things around you, and getting to know how to fix things in general.
    Understanding the weaknesses and fortitude of your residence.

And so on.

All these questions will answer what else you yourself need to stockpile or assemble to be ready when dissaster strikes.
    Remember that half the value in stockpiling items is knowing how to use them. That could be cooking, or turning on a generator, or just changing the oils in your car. Knowledge and preparedness are the things that will make a difference, what makes us autonomous.

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I recommend that you make your own survival kit. You will need to gain some experience as lonewolf said. First you have to decide what it is you think you need this survival kit for; getting lost in the bush, or for long term wilderness living/survival. In the latter case you MUST think "sustainable". No point spending money on items that will either run out or will in time cease to function. I recommend that you start off with a good medical kit, that is number 1) Number 2) Get the basics for any long term wilderness living, a good butcher knife, an axe (tomahawk), & a gun. After that you will have to get all the common items, bedroll, shelter, flint, steel & tinderbox for making fire, water containers, etc.
    Plenty of info on this forum, but without experience it can be difficult to tell who is giving you the best advice. If you have common sense, & take the time to think about it, you can still work it out. As soon as you think you have enough equipment, get out in the bush & use it.

Items I suggest you avoid for long term use: Battery operated devices, camping stove, nylon tent, aluminium cooking pots/kettle, plates & bowls, dinner knife & fork, expensive hiking boots (they will break down eventually, you NEED to make your own moccasins). There is probably other stuff to avoid, but you get the idea.

MOST IMPORTANT: Learn some primitive skills, this will cost you nothing if you teach yourself. The more skills you have, the less you need to carry & the more chance you have of survival.
    Keith.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public

6. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Each person or family has there own specific needs that would not be provided for in a survival kit. For example, I am on medication and would need to keep some extra medication in my survival kit. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a survival kit and adding items that your family will need.

7. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think making your kit would be of more value. Maybe your kit could include a bought kit. However, you definitely would want to pick out things unique to your needs that are not in the bought kit. The things inside the bought kit are usually of low quality. If you make your own, you know exactly everything you have and where it is. There will be no messing it around if it becomes necessary to utilize the things inside of it. I suggest doing some more research on other kits professionals have made and then putting one together yourself.

8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    It's more convenient to buy them, and you wouldn't have to worry about the quality and reliability of the product if you ever need it, HOWEVER if you DO get lost in the woods with nothing but the clothes on your back, the knowledge of having to build your own equipment, no matter how sub-par, would still be better than panicking in the wilderness while you are helplessly waiting for help to arrive. So I say yes to both, in that you should trust the equipment, and professionally made stuff are just that, but you also need to know how to make one, in the event that circumstances are forcing you to do so.

9. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    You can complement what purchased kits cannot accomplish by making your own survival kits. In the area of first aid, you can make an alum stick to put on wounds for cessation of bleeding in wounds. You can also make your own knives by hitting big stones against each other and then joining the shards with a wet, sturdy branch so that when it dries, it will grip firmly.