Purifying Muddy Water

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by iamawriter, May 20, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Heavy rains contribute to muddy water. There is a solution to purifying this water using alum (aluminium sulfate)

To a gallon of water about 2 ounces of powdered alum is added and briskly stirred. After seven or eight hours there will be a precipitate of dirt. Water then needs to be decanted, twice if necessary. This water though looks clean is not potable. It has to be sterilised and that can be done by boiling it.

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Why not just filter it through sand and cloth?
    Then boil it!
    No need for powdered alum!

3. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    Some chemical process takes place when alum is added to water. I have not tried adding just sand. Have you tried it ? Was the water absolutely pure - clear as crystal? When alum is used the water is clear as crystal but it needs to be boiled to get rid of the bacteria.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    alum as in aluminium?

5. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I have mentioned it in my post. It is aluminium sulfate

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we had an episode in the UK where liquid aluminium was added, by accident, to a drinking water supply, the residents of the area suffered with chronic health complaints for years, and I mean 20 or 30 years, so no thanks, i'll just wait for the sediment to clear or find another cleaner water source.

7. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    This is like giving the dog a bad name and then hanging it. It was an accident. Right? That what happens due to accidents has no weight to judge its usefulness or otherwise. I have used alum and the water comes out clear. You only need to boil it before consumption.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not my thing, thanks i'll pass.

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    The created this "straw" for African countries that has its own filtration device. No maintenance, no batteries or anything. You just use the straw on water and you can safely drink the water in it. I think it's an incredible achievement as areas that can't have advanced water filtration systems could now drink in puddles of muddy water from rivers just by using this device. You should definitely get a hold of it in your emergency kit as it may save your life one day. It's instant drinking water from any fresh water source.

10. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Enlightening. That's the exact process we do at my home except if we are using the water for a purpose other than consumption.

11. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    • a·lum1
      /ˈaləm/
      noun
      1. a colorless astringent compound that is a hydrated double sulfate of aluminum and potassium, used in solution medicinally and in dyeing and tanning. Also called potash alum.
    Just for sake pf argument.

Now we all know.
    Don't thank me just send money, guns, ammo.

12. zackdsilvis

zackdsilvis New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    There's plenty of ways to make use of muddy water, you can filter it then boil and that usually will do that trick.

I personally have a device called the "LifeStraw" where you could literally drink out of a puddle and you'll be taking in clean water.

Not everybody has a Life straw but everybody should, not just for if you're in the wilderness but say a disaster occurs..

13. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    A very effective way of filtering muddy water is to through a mixture of small stones and sand. This process may take a bit of time complete but it would rid the water of the mud and other impurities

14. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    The Lifestraw gets good reviews.
    I don't have one but am considering getting one.
    There are also water pitchers with a filter in the top.
    Usually charcoal filters.
    I have one of the filter pitchers.
    My well water sucks so I use the filter pitcher.
    The well water is safe but it stinks.
    It didn't use to smell bad 'till they put a gas well in across the street.
    They ran 4 lines right under my property.
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

15. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Just google filter water pitchers.
    There are many.
    A good addition to any preppers items.

16. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Lifestraw pocket filter works fine for you to ddrink swayer water filter for larger amounts brita water pitcher work good but would be hard to carry there are many filters on market pick one that will fit your needs 3-4 small drops of bleach in a gal makes it safe to use allso

17. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I remember an experiment in our general science subject where our teacher brought a beaker of muddy water. She has a bamboo cylinder with a net at the bottom. The bamboo has sand and stones on top of the sand. When she poured the beaker of muddy water, what came out of the cylinder was water with a clearer look. She said that doing the process over and over will filter the dirt and make for clean water. But that was in school. For an actual practice, you might get sick in drinking that purified muddy water. The best bet is to filter the muddy water and then boil it for 10 minutes. And if you want a guaranteed clean water then capture the condensation for the pureest water that you can get.

18. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    An easy way to purify muddy water is by letting it sediment for some time. When the residues settles down, pour the water in another container, then boil it. Boiled water is always safe to drink. You can also use chlorine to puridy dirty water, however, you first have to let the muddy water sediment and then pour the water in another container and add few drops of chlorine.

jeager likes this.
  19. johnd.godinez

johnd.godinez New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    if you want a fancy way to clear AND purify muddy water is by using the "P&G PUR purifier of water packets". I´ll copy and paste the description of the product to save time explaining, so, don´t consider this as commercial spam please! hehe!

"P&G purifier of water is a powder that comes in small affordable, easy-to-use packets. It combines flocculation and disinfection to produce clean drinking water. Using some of the same ingredients used in municipal water systems, it is engineered to be a miniature truant plant in a packet. The product removes dirt, cysts, and pollutants, and kills bacteria and viruses in polluted water such as creeks, rivers, lakes, and ponds. By removing the dirt and sediment through flocculation, peg purifier of water gives a visible signal ensuring you have clean and fresh treated water when you need it. It is simple to use, maintains a fresh taste similar to most household tap water, and is acceptable for drinking use after 30 minutes. A single packet treats 2.5 Gallons/10 liters of water. The peg purifier of water packet provides clean drinking water for your family's preparedness needs, including emergencies and remote outdoor settings where drinking water is not available. It is not intended to treat salt/ocean water. It is perfect for use in situations such as camping, hiking, backpacking, fishing, hunting, emergency situations, and natural disasters where the drinking water supply has been depleted or is of unknown quality."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

I have seen using this product by my local government in disaster scenarios, floods and areas with compromised water sources, so, it works.

20. TsuyoyRival

TsuyoyRival New Member
      9/29

Blog Posts:
    I hope i don't be rude, but where exactly will we find this aluminum sulfate?

21. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Any particulate (mud or silt) in water will settle out in a few hours if left undisturbed. Pour off clear water & boil. Good to go :)
    If you can't wait, grass & sand filter can speed up the process. That is, after you take time to construct a filter.. I carry a stack of coffee filters in my BOB so I can quickly make a filter system. Cleap & easy to carry.